2014 Toyota Tundra first look

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #41  
Why can't they share like they did with ZF?

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #42  
Hino runs Aisin here in NA. They could just plop the J05E engine and the Aisin A465 trans out of the Hino195 and have a 210Hp/440Ftlb diesel on the lot in no time. Chances are they could even up the Hp/tq because of lighter duty just so the numbers look better for "advertising" although in practice it would be adequate as is.

If toyota really wanted to make a diesel, they could get creative. Call their 3/4 ton diesel pickup a Hino. That could get them around any contract issues with dodge (if they actually exist), plus it is a different model of trans anyways. Make it a sub brand like Lexus, sold in a "car" dealership.

Aisin is in a bunch of manufacturers vehicles, not exclusive to anyone. For that very reason (and the fact that Toyota owns a lot of the company) Toyota could have an Aisin trans in a Diesel if they wanted to. They just dont.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #43  
Can't say I like the looks of it but after Toyota replaced the rusted frame on my 10 year old truck I'll stick with them. I started looking around and about the only trucks that are more than 10 years old still on the roads are Toyotas with new frames and trucks that were lucky enough not to go through 10 years of harsh winters. I can't count the number of late 90s and early 2000s big three trucks that are no longer road worthy and now are yard truck with a plow. The Ford Ranger is also a truck that has held up great around here but it's not a full size truck.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #44  
Most of what Ive read re: ecoboost towing says the mileage drops drastically under load. 10-12 MPG towing vs. 20-22 unloaded. Considerable drop. My f150 with a 5.4 hardly drops any when towing. From 18, down to maybe 15-16.

Without screwing up this toyota thread too much, I'd argue that a non-ecoboost engine doesn't have to work so hard towing equaling better mileage.

I would love to see your 5.4. I have owned 8 5.4 F150 trucks and all got about 16 mpg tank to tank but hook a trailer on them and it was around 8. I towed somewhere in the 3,000 mile range in them each year from 1997 to 2009 so thats a pretty good cross section for the data.

Chris

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #45  
Aisin is in a bunch of manufacturers vehicles, not exclusive to anyone. For that very reason (and the fact that Toyota owns a lot of the company) Toyota could have an Aisin trans in a Diesel if they wanted to. They just dont.
Yes it's used in many vehicles but manufacturer contacts are very exclusive. Trust me, Ford and GM would jump at the chance to put a Cummins in their trucks vs an in house design but can't. RAM trucks have the contract for Aisin transmissions in Heavy Duty pickups, no way Toyota could do the same.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #46  
I would love to see your 5.4. I have owned 8 5.4 F150 trucks and all got about 16 mpg tank to tank but hook a trailer on them and it was around 8. I towed somewhere in the 3,000 mile range in them each year from 1997 to 2009 so thats a pretty good cross section for the data.

Chris

Then you must have had a bunch of dogs.

I get 18mpg unloaded day and nite. Consistent as a clock. City, hwy dont matter. Believe me, Im no ford lover, and will never own another after dealing with Ford, so its not like I have a reason to beat my chest and brag.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #47  
Those are taken too! :laughing:

Aisin is 30% owned by Toyota. They currently supply transmissions and components to Mazda, Fiat, Nissan, Mitsubishi, GM, Hino, Volvo, Chrysler, Daihatsu, Porsche, Toyota, Isuzu, Ford, and Honda.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #48  
dgl24087 said:
Aisin is 30% owned by Toyota. They currently supply transmissions and components to Mazda, Fiat, Nissan, Mitsubishi, GM, Hino, Volvo, Chrysler, Daihatsu, Porsche, Toyota, Isuzu, Ford, and Honda.
How many of those use them in full size pickups?

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #49  
I have one of the last older body style Tundras and it's the best truck i've ever owned as far as overall quality goes. I'm not crazy about the body style compared to the new ones but i'm happier with it than I was with my Titan. The new body style Tundras are too big and heavy for my preference.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #50  
Then you must have had a bunch of dogs.

I get 18mpg unloaded day and nite. Consistent as a clock. City, hwy dont matter. Believe me, Im no ford lover, and will never own another after dealing with Ford, so its not like I have a reason to beat my chest and brag.

Mine would do 18 on the highway also. All had 3.73 gears and one had 4.10 gears. 16 was tank to tank running around. Throw 7,500# behind it and 8 mpg was it. Loved the trucks and in many ways were better than my current Titan except when it came to pulling or 4x4 capabilities.

Chris