2014 Toyota Tundra first look

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #51  
Yes it's used in many vehicles but manufacturer contacts are very exclusive. Trust me, Ford and GM would jump at the chance to put a Cummins in their trucks vs an in house design but can't. RAM trucks have the contract for Aisin transmissions in Heavy Duty pickups, no way Toyota could do the same.

Im sure the contract with Dodge addresses it, but dont think that if toyota WANTED it that they couldnt get it. Like I said, hino has a great engine/trans (aisin) package sold here now, with a completely different trans than whats offered in the Ram.I dont doubt that Dodge has exclusive rights to the AS69RC in their 3/4 and 1 tons. I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.

As I stated, toyota could get creative if they wanted to. Do some modifications to the Hino 155 chassis, slap a pickup body on it and call it good. Sell it as a Hino. Actually it might make even more sense to bring over a completely different chassis, one that is smaller and lighter, Toyota has a bunch of those in other markets under various brands.

Look at the Toyota Dualy concept of a few years ago. Most of that truck is Tundra, Engine Hino, trans Eaton. That is always an option if Aisin is a no-go. Lots of options out there, where there is a will there is a way.

Toyota would sell every one of these that they could make. The Hot shot guys would grab them up in a minute.

163_0802_02z+custom_toyota_tundra_HD+front_view.jpg

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #52  
I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.
Like I said, I know it's in other vehicles and none of us can see the actual contracts but put yourself in the manufacturers shoes. There is no way I would NOT put it in writing that I had exclusive rights to the "AISIN" name for the full-size pickup class. A brand name like that is golden and RAM has a much larger market share in pickups (18% vs. 6% for Toyota).

I guarantee you will not see another full-size pickup with the "AISIN" nameplate on it. Sure Toyota can use Aisin parts and call it what they want but the name is what sells. Kind of like Ford and Cummins, Ford uses the same Cummins 6.7l engine found in the RAM HD pickups but only in it's F-650 and F-750 because Chrysler has exclusive contracts for them in the class 3-5 HD pickups.

I'd love to see Toyota jump in the HD truck market, their Tundra is pretty stout.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #53  
Im sure the contract with Dodge addresses it, but dont think that if toyota WANTED it that they couldnt get it. Like I said, hino has a great engine/trans (aisin) package sold here now, with a completely different trans than whats offered in the Ram.I dont doubt that Dodge has exclusive rights to the AS69RC in their 3/4 and 1 tons. I do doubt however that the contract with ram states that "no other manufacturers can use Aisin brand trans in any vehicle", as we see Aisin in the lightest Hino, albeit in a different class.

As I stated, toyota could get creative if they wanted to. Do some modifications to the Hino 155 chassis, slap a pickup body on it and call it good. Sell it as a Hino. Actually it might make even more sense to bring over a completely different chassis, one that is smaller and lighter, Toyota has a bunch of those in other markets under various brands.

Look at the Toyota Dualy concept of a few years ago. Most of that truck is Tundra, Engine Hino, trans Eaton. That is always an option if Aisin is a no-go. Lots of options out there, where there is a will there is a way.

Toyota would sell every one of these that they could make. The Hot shot guys would grab them up in a minute.

View attachment 301919

I know I would buy one........Hino is one of the most reliable medium duty trucks you can buy. Never again will I waste my money on any truck made by the "big three."

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #54  
A grill guard might actually make the front of the new Tundra look decent.

I don't think Toyota sells enough Tundras to deal with trying to go after the 3/4 ton or diesel markets. Personally I think it's a mistake as just the RV market is ripe for higher end trucks to pull 5th wheel trailers.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #55  
Funny that concept dually tundra has a grill guard very similar to the one i just built for my titan.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #56  
Personally I think it's a mistake as just the RV market is ripe for higher end trucks to pull 5th wheel trailers.

As do I. Between the RVers and the Horsey set, they could sell a lot of heavier pickups, many with the full load and leather. Lots of profit there. They even made a new super high end option package called 1794, in honour of the ranch in Texas where the truck plant was built. Tell me that isnt a direct shot at ford and the King Ranch ;). That makes me think that Toyota is aiming at that the high end trailer towing customer for sure. Now why not a 3/4 Ton, and why no diesel???Horsey types would lap those up in volume.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #57  
If I could figure a way to get past the CA smog rules I'd strongly consider upgrading my 4.7L '06 Tundra to the Cummins 4BT, spiced up a bit. The idea of 250+ HP and 450lb+ of torque is tempting. This state is forcing farmers to turn in tractors that do not meet tier 4 requirements for smog.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #58  
If I could figure a way to get past the CA smog rules I'd strongly consider upgrading my 4.7L '06 Tundra to the Cummins 4BT, spiced up a bit. The idea of 250+ HP and 450lb+ of torque is tempting. This state is forcing farmers to turn in tractors that do not meet tier 4 requirements for smog.

Are they paying a fair price for those tractors?

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look
Are they paying a fair price for those tractors?

Exactly. Ill sell all of mine but only at the price they are worth, not what the state says they're worth. Until then though ill just keep blowing smoke.

/ 2014 Toyota Tundra first look #60  
Exactly. Ill sell all of mine but only at the price they are worth, not what the state says they're worth. Until then though ill just keep blowing smoke.

I agree totally! The EPA is getting away with too much as it is. And what about the smaller fams that cannot afford to step into a brand new tractor? Leave the old iron alone.