2024 garden season

/ 2024 garden season #51  
Got a little ground tilled yesterday. I love spring.
IMG20240313180408.jpg
IMG20240313185924.jpg

/ 2024 garden season
a few things coming up here. cabbage, radishes, and broc. so far.

Attachments

• 20240314_150344.jpg
    20240314_150344.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240314_150359.jpg
    20240314_150359.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 20240314_150406.jpg
    20240314_150406.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240314_150412.jpg
    20240314_150412.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
   / 2024 garden season #53  
a few things coming up here. cabbage, radishes, and broc. so far.
I have about 3/4 of my garden planted. Radish, lettuce, brocolli, and turnip are coming up. Squash, zuchini, corn, and onions are planted. All but okra, watermelon, cantaloupe, tomato and pepper plants are planted. I got the last seeds I planted in before this rain. The rest will go in probably next week. The spots are ready to plant. Lots of compost from the hay I feed the cows added this year. I still have a large pile next to the garden that I am feeding, another pile in the pasture, and one just oursdie the fence where I move it to before bringing it to the garden. All 3 of those piles are hot and steamy when I move them. The entire garden it covered in compost that is completely broken down..

/ 2024 garden season #54  
I'm looking for a good corn planter. I'd love a JANG, but don't know if it's worth the premium

/ 2024 garden season #55  
Planted one of my raised bed with month old starts yesterday. Kale, arugula, spinach and lettuce. Those kale on top overwintered. I will probably let it get bigger and harvest it all at once and freeze it. Ignore the disheveled look, need to spread some straw.
IMG_0384 (1).png

/ 2024 garden season #56  
Got a little ground tilled yesterday. I love spring.View attachment 857097View attachment 857098
That looks too pretty. It looks like you may have better soil than what I started with. We had a thin layer of sand over lots of clay. It used to grow cotton at one time. After that it had cows run on it. Then later hay cut and used to have coastal bermuda so thisk it was hard to walk through. Now it has what is left of the bermuda and thick weeds with some really hard to get rid of roots. I disc compost in each year and rake out what I can of the weeds.

/ 2024 garden season #57  
That looks too pretty. It looks like you may have better soil than what I started with. We had a thin layer of sand over lots of clay. It used to grow cotton at one time. After that it had cows run on it. Then later hay cut and used to have coastal bermuda so thisk it was hard to walk through. Now it has what is left of the bermuda and thick weeds with some really hard to get rid of roots. I disc compost in each year and rake out what I can of the weeds.

Clay loam, it was pretty hard to break up last year... But then I grew two crops of beautiful buckwheat on it and it's really easy to till this year.

This till was about 2" deep to uproot weeds. I'll till again in a few weeks just prior to planting phacelia

/ 2024 garden season #58  
Clay loam, it was pretty hard to break up last year... But then I grew two crops of beautiful buckwheat on it and it's really easy to till this year.

This till was about 2" deep to uproot weeds. I'll till again in a few weeks just prior to planting phacelia
I need to look into a fall cover crop this year. That is one think I have not tried. One year I had what I called an okra forest after I pulled up the plants. A few of the pods had fallen to the ground, and I ran the disk over it. Plants came up all over and lasted until frost. I had a nice fall okra crop.

/ 2024 garden season #59  
I need to look into a fall cover crop this year. That is one think I have not tried. One year I had what I called an okra forest after I pulled up the plants. A few of the pods had fallen to the ground, and I ran the disk over it. Plants came up all over and lasted until frost. I had a nice fall okra crop.
IMG20230803135407.jpg

Buckwheat adds A LOT of organic matter and the roots break up compacted soil.

/ 2024 garden season
I have a small package of buckwheat that I am going to try in a small area this year just to see what it will do.