2305 tie rod

/ 2305 tie rod
Tried to upload video from iPhone. Some reason the app wouldn’t take it. The arrow points to the part that’s worn out. Bottom part of tie rod is the part that moves 1/4” back n forth.

/ 2305 tie rod #12  
Thanks for the photos an input. Haven’t been able to look at it yet, but I’m thinking I’ll go simple and cut it off, weld a new one on. Just don’t understand why the right one went bad and not the left. Maybe constantly making left turns puts extra force on the right one causing the issue.
Before cutting the end off, see if you could remove the tie rod and lay it on something solid. Then take a punch and ping around the outside of the ball socket. This will tighten up the top and prevent the ball from coming out of the socket. Put the tie rod back on and continue mowing.

/ 2305 tie rod
Before cutting the end off, see if you could remove the tie rod and lay it on something solid. Then take a punch and ping around the outside of the ball socket. This will tighten up the top and prevent the ball from coming out of the socket. Put the tie rod back on and continue mowing.

Interesting. Thanks for that. Great idea. I’ve done that to bearing spindle caps to make them stay one. I’ll certainly try that.

/ 2305 tie rod

IMG_7949.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7949.JPG
    IMG_7949.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
   / 2305 tie rod
Thanks very much for the idea. I took it off, heated it with acetylene torch, put in my pipe vise and crimped all around it. Tight now. Zero play. Whew

/ 2305 tie rod #16  
Thanks very much for the idea. I took it off, heated it with acetylene torch, put in my pipe vise and crimped all around it. Tight now. Zero play. Whew
Great news. (y)

/ 2305 tie rod #17  
Does it have a grease fitting ?
Keep us posted if it stays tight

/ 2305 tie rod #18  
Does it have a grease fitting ?
Keep us posted if it stays tight
Most don't have a grease fitting. I have a electric chainsaw I have to oil the chain on. I occasionally give the tie road ends a shot of bar and chain lube on my JD mower.

/ 2305 tie rod #19  
Glad this worked for your slow speed application, but I certainly wouldn't want to take a torch to heat treated steering components for any high speed application where failure could lead to catastrophic consequences like rolling the vehicle

/ 2305 tie rod
Glad this worked for your slow speed application, but I certainly wouldn't want to take a torch to heat treated steering components for any high speed application where failure could lead to catastrophic consequences like rolling the vehicle

Yes, thought about that. Knew it would take the temper out, but nothing to loose. If it spreads again I’ll weld a new one on it.