2320 Injector Pump problems?

/ 2320 Injector Pump problems?
Maybe insurance claim???

Yeah I thought of that, but after thinking it over the likely hood of it getting gas in the tank is slim to none. I pump my fuel out of a transfer tank, and I fill the tank to the brim when I fill it. If I put gas in it there would be so much that it wouldn't run. I also get #2 Off Road and it has the red die in it, so obvious that its diesel. My dad is the only one that has borrowed the tractor, and that was a year ago. So if it is what they say, then thats too long ago. I did have it to another dealer to get the drive shaft replaced, but I don't know why they would dump anything in it when it wasn't empty. Unless they had someone do vandalizeze, or had disgruntle employee.

I have decided to push back on the dealer, there is no way gas got in there. I put two tanks of fuel in their loaner tractor, and its running fine.

/ 2320 Injector Pump problems? #43  
I hear what your saying, but if they know its gas, and they can prove it. They can test whats left in the tank, even check the fuel filter. Take a sample to a chemical lab. I don't know how chemically different gas is from diesel, I'm not a chemist.
Anyway, the only way gas got in your fuel is accidental or vandalism, both of which are insurable losses. Just my opinion.

/ 2320 Injector Pump problems?
I hear what your saying, but if they know its gas, and they can prove it. They can test whats left in the tank, even check the fuel filter. Take a sample to a chemical lab. I don't know how chemically different gas is from diesel, I'm not a chemist.
Anyway, the only way gas got in your fuel is accidental or vandalism, both of which are insurable losses. Just my opinion.

Went to the dealer this evening to take a look and the motor. They had pulled #3 piston and the rings were stuck, except for the oil ring. The valves all leaked, and you can see pitting on the seats. They are saying that some contaminate in the diesel is what did this. Their convincedced that something interfered with the lube properties of diesel and caused the valve seats to pit, and freeze up the rings. They say this happens really fast if the fuel gets contaminated.

Really doesn't make sense to me.. The engine never ran bad before this, it all of a sudden wouldn't start.:confused2: There is no way I put any gas in the tank, unless I got some bad fuel that last time I filled the (50gal). As you said they can tell what was in there, and I'm thinking of having the test done (~$100). I'm wondering if the head was starting to leak antifreeze in the cylinders.

So, at 330hrs its time for a minor overhaul.. Find out monday how much its going to cost.

This sucks!

/ 2320 Injector Pump problems? #45  
Went to the dealer this evening to take a look and the motor. They had pulled #3 piston and the rings were stuck, except for the oil ring. The valves all leaked, and you can see pitting on the seats. They are saying that some contaminate in the diesel is what did this. Their convincedced that something interfered with the lube properties of diesel and caused the valve seats to pit, and freeze up the rings. They say this happens really fast if the fuel gets contaminated.

Really doesn't make sense to me.. The engine never ran bad before this, it all of a sudden wouldn't start.:confused2: There is no way I put any gas in the tank, unless I got some bad fuel that last time I filled the (50gal). As you said they can tell what was in there, and I'm thinking of having the test done (~$100). I'm wondering if the head was starting to leak antifreeze in the cylinders.

So, at 330hrs its time for a minor overhaul.. Find out monday how much its going to cost.

This sucks!

I went through that in 1973 and again in 1988. First tractor was a MF 135. Had 550 hours on it and was pouring oil out the breather. Still had plenty of power and ran good, just had to pour engine oil in often. Second was a 574 IH. Valves were shot like yours but still ran but also smoked a lot on start up. Both times it was caused by the fuel. On the MF, fuel samples were taken. Perkins, the dealer and MF each sent samples and all came back with contaminated fuel results. MF dealer gave a good trade for the tractor and I took it. They rebuilt the engine and some one else bought it. At that time diesels were just starting to be sold here. Folks found out pretty quick there was a difference in diesel fuel from one company to another. We were told by the dealer to switch to Southern States Super Green diesel fuel. I did and the next tractor was sold with 5800 hrs. and was still going great.

Southern States use to have their own refinery and that's where the Super Green came from. Some years later they sold that little refinery and another oil company picked up the Super Green and kept supplying us for about 6 years. When they could no longer get the Super Green they didn't tell anyone. Well I called them to refill my skid tank and never gave a second thought that it was a different fuel. Started have problems with the 574 after about 250 hours. That's when I noticed the fuel wasn't green anymore. Traced it back to the storage tank and found the fuel had separated in my skid tank. One of the guys that worked for the fuel company told me they had pumped from old tanks in the ground so the tanks could be replaced. They mixed that old fuel with new fuel and sold it to folks like me. Engine repair on the IH was $1,800. That's when I started looking for Southern States fuel again and found they have a petroleum division and one of their suppliers was about 35 miles from me. Course their fuel is red now and they sell a premium diesel fuel. That's what I've used since the IH problem. Southern States is the only supplier of premium diesel fuel in my area. I will not run anything else in my tractors. Have never had a problem with their fuel.

Ask your fuel supplier for a MSDS sheet for the fuel you are buying. Your owners manual will have specs for the fuel your tractor needs and the MSDS sheet will list those specs for the fuel they are selling. Last time I checked Southern States fuel was the only supplier the cetane level in their fuel met the requirements for my tractor. SS filters their fuel going in to the large storage tanks and again as it's pumped out to the delivery trucks. They also rotate the storage tanks so they can be cleaned (hand cleaned) and kept clean. They are very serious about their fuel. I know of no other supplier in this area that does what they do. And the best part is I have 2 suppliers 12 miles from me and SS is always 25- 30 cent a gallon cheaper than those 2 are and they deliver to me from 35 miles out. And yes I'm sure there's no Southern States near most of the folks on this board. But look for a premium diesel fuel supplier and hope that you have one. Ask for the MSDS sheet too.