2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill!

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #41  
Most of this is good advice. But having done it , the event only takes seconds and I tryed to seize up, so a lot of action is not possible. My best defense is to drop the front bucket and hold on..

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #43  
Today I saw a 6000 series mowing the highway at an incline that most likely would have rolled my tractor. He can do it sideways cause of the added width mostly I suppose. And I would think those ag tractors have a lower cg. It didn't hurt that he had a side flail. I was thinking I would have had the mower uphill for distribution, but I guess his putting it downhill could act as a rigger of sorts. Not sure how much weight it could hold.

If the tractor was going to go, it's very unlikely a side flail would stop it...

The key thing to remember whether you use your tractor on your own yard or drive them daily in all situations for work is to always think ahead... Without wanting to offend anybody that is why farmers around the world regually safely use their machines in situations that people describe as unsafe (or unwise) on TBN :laughing:

Many years ago when I was 16 I worked for an ag contractor in Cheltenham (UK). We were muck spreading in the rain using 12 tonne Sampson rear discharge spreaders on the back of MB Trac 1300's. With four equal sized tyres, airbrakes, four wheel drive and difflocks on both axels you would expect (as I did at the time) these tractors to be as sure footed as a mountain goat. But... after several hours spreading on a very steep bank, going backwards and forwards through a narrow muddy gateway, the inevitable happend...

I was halfway up the bank with the spreader working, when the tractor started to loose traction. Knowing that I wouldn't make it to the top of the bank (the only place I could safely turn) I stopped and applied the handbrake. Within seconds the tractor and spreader had started to slide backwards, and once on the freshly spread muck she gained speed very quickly...!

I was very lucky as one of my collegues saw what was happending and shouted across the radio to me to get into reverse quickly and bring it under control - by gunning the tractor backwards I was able to at least steer the tractor and spreader in a safe line down the bank, and move off of the muck which then improved my traction and allowed me to slow the tracor down and eventually stop it.

I must admit it was probably one of the scariest moments in my life, and if it wasn't for my collegues quick advice the tractor would alomst certained have jackknifed and rolled over. Since then I have regually worked even steeper banks - including silaging with self propelled foragers and trailers. The key thing is to always assess the risk - watch carefully what's happending (wheel slip etc) and react accordingly. When something does go wrong it should be second nature to be able to do anything possible to avoid an accident - although sometimes it is unavoidable and your best result will be to minimise the damage!

Glad your little adventure wasn't too serious - although sorry to hear about the wallet! :ashamed: Next time definately use 4wd and (as suggested in an earlier post), if you do start slipping gain a little speed and try to drive out of it... If slipping down a bank never try to turn sharply, unless you have to. :thumbsup:

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #45  
I run my tractor in 4wd all the time, except the very rare occasion when I'm traveling on a paved road.

In reading the threads, several with good advice, I didn't hear anybody recommend that you keep it in 4wd all the time when mowing, no matter what the terrain. I do recommend that. If you follow this advice, you won't have a problem with forgetting to shift into 4wd when you come to a slope.

I'll also put my own spin a comment that one or two others made. When you have an "incident" like this, things happen very fast. Most of us, myself included, may take a little too long to react, or may not do the "right thing" that we should have thought of. Whether it's a little panic, a little confusion, or our age getting to us, we may not be at our best under pressure. Reading and thinking about all the potential safety issues can increase our chances of reacting quickly and correctly, but it doesn't guarantee it. We all just need to be alert and try our best.

Glad to see the OP is OK.

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #46  
I am curious as to why you think keeping it in 4wd would have saved you? Were you on the brakes and one of the wheels locked up? Which wheels began to slide? Was it late in the day and there was dew starting to to accumulate?

Sounds like you were in a marginal situation and Maybe 4wd would have save you but you would still have been cutting it close.

One important reason is, the brake will only apply to the rear wheels when in 2wd. In for wheel drive when you brake it will get shared with a front wheel giving you more stopping power over the length of your tractor. I learned that valuable lesson with my tractor and my Honda Rincon ATV :)

Glad your okay, and the tractor is virtually undamaged.

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #47  
I was thinking maybe you could put a plow or something on the back. I'm not sure how quick it would engage the ground, and some lawn repair would be required, but it would act as an anchor of sorts.

That is why I thought a ballast box might help. Keep it low to plant your weight. Emergency lower to the ground if you feel a slide coming.

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #48  
I run my tractor in 4wd all the time, except the very rare occasion when I'm traveling on a paved road.

+1. I park in 4WD. I start in 4WD. I transport in HIGH gear. I operate in LOW gear. No pavement around me for a few miles and 1/3 of the year we are covered in snow anyhow. ;)

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #49  
In reading the threads, several with good advice, I didn't hear anybody recommend that you keep it in 4wd all the time when mowing, no matter what the terrain. I do recommend that. If you follow this advice, you won't have a problem with forgetting to shift into 4wd when you come to a slope.

I remember some advice my old boss taught me - it probably applies more to bigger / heavier machinery but is something I always bear in mind - "If you need 4wd to get up a slope, you really need to think first how you're going to get back down..." The context of the conversation was when he was teaching me to operate his new Claas self propelled forage harvester. Our old one had only been 2wd - so normally it couldn't get anywhere that it couldn't get out of safely. But with the 4wd there was a real risk of going into places that would be difficult to get out of, or leading the following tractor trailers onto dangerous slope corners etc without thinking.

To sum up - 4wd is a tool to be used when you need it. If you use it all the time, what do you do when you have a problem that requires extra traction(or think you may have a problem coming)? That said I do accept that smaller tractors (including our own Siromer / Jinma) do often have traction issues and because of this I also use 4wd far more than maybe I should.

Reading and thinking about all the potential safety issues can increase our chances of reacting quickly and correctly, but it doesn't guarantee it. We all just need to be alert and try our best.

Totally agree - you never can plan 100% for every eventuality and all you can ever do is try your best :thumbsup:

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #50  
Boy, after reading all these posts, I am now leery of the 3005 I bought. you can bet the first time I get out in the back pasture I will be more than aware of what can happen to these small tractors. Being new to this site, I have gained more info in one day than ever thought of before. Thanks to all you guys here
REt92