2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill!

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #51  
Boy, after reading all these posts, I am now leery of the 3005 I bought. you can bet the first time I get out in the back pasture I will be more than aware of what can happen to these small tractors. Being new to this site, I have gained more info in one day than ever thought of before. Thanks to all you guys here
REt92

I had a 790 (same tractor as your 3005). Your tractor is no more susceptible for sliding then any other...use a low gear going down slope (and we know how slow 1st gear Low Range is, don't we?) and stay off the slopes when they're wet.

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #52  
I had a 790 (same tractor as your 3005). Your tractor is no more susceptible for sliding then any other...use a low gear going down slope (and we know how slow 1st gear Low Range is, don't we?) and stay off the slopes when they're wet.

Original owner had a JD300 loader installed. Tire size on rear is 15.0-19.5 Checked and I see the rear tires are filled. At least I got some weight there
Have not put any test to it yet
REt92

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill!
Final Thoughts- I do have both a loader and a ballast box, and the dealer who did the repair suggested using the ballast box to gain traction on the rear wheels. I normally cut the steeper parts of the hill with my brush cutter and with the loader on. I know this gives the most traction and control.

When I started to slide I thought I was headed right at the transformer, and my instinct was to turn to avoid it. As several other posts said, this all happened very fast. From when I started to side, until I turned and rolled it, was probably 2 seconds at most. No time to think it through, other than I knew I did not want to hit that oil filled transformer!

I am glad that I stimulated a lot of posts, and hopefully helped to avoid some accidents for others.

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #54  
I live on the flat land, (thank God), and would have never thought 4wd would make that kind of difference when doing this.

Thanks for the lesson.

Perhaps what you need to add, is an anchor you can drop next time? :laughing: How about a moldboard plow for ballast, and emergency breaking? :D

Last edited:
   / 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #55  
Final Thoughts- I do have both a loader and a ballast box, and the dealer who did the repair suggested using the ballast box to gain traction on the rear wheels. I normally cut the steeper parts of the hill with my brush cutter and with the loader on. I know this gives the most traction and control.

When I started to slide I thought I was headed right at the transformer, and my instinct was to turn to avoid it. As several other posts said, this all happened very fast. From when I started to side, until I turned and rolled it, was probably 2 seconds at most. No time to think it through, other than I knew I did not want to hit that oil filled transformer!

I am glad that I stimulated a lot of posts, and hopefully helped to avoid some accidents for others.

Definitely a good post to share. It amazes me how fast things can turn from fun to OMG!

/ 2320 Rollover- Always use 4WD going down a hill! #56  
I am not one that wears a seat belt all the time on the tractor but this is starting to make me think it's not a bad idea at all. I haven't had my tractor slip on me like that & I do have some hilly terrain here but I have had the bucket loaded a few times and had the back end get really light on me even with loaded tires.

I think I will start getting in the habit of buckling up. It definitely saved the OP from serious injury or worse I would say.

I am glad the OP is ok after that accident. I can see where it could have been very ugly if he had not have fastened that seat belt. That ROPS really did its job there too. One without ROPS would have probably turned it over more than once. Pretty Scarey but a good reality check!!!