25 HP vs 35 HP

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP
Regarding RPM operating range, I've just always preferred running engines at lower RPM's. It's just psychological as it seems like running higher RPM's is harder on the engine (more friction with more movements within a given period of time), but I understand that is not necessarily the case. It's also just less stressful to hear the engine lugging around that screaming. but, I will operate at whatever the recommended range is, and get used to it. This was something I had a hard time with riding 2 stroke dirt bikes. They really like to be wrung out. I always felt like I was about to melt the engine. Probably both are true!

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #72  
When asking questions are we after facts (which anyone can in theory find and are not open for dispute)
Or opinions (like a-holes, everybody has one)
Or experience (and if you've not owned or operated a 25 and 35hp tractor you can't answer this question from experience)
or hear-say (my buddy, dad, I read, heard, saw in a tv show, guy on the next barstool said...)
or just looking for confirmation of the decision we've already made (common theme on the internet it seems).

Saw a lot of this in a camping forum regarding TVs (tow vehicle) and trailers, hitches, etc. Some of it is facts, some of it is hidden facts (how the companies actually calculate tow ratings), etc. Problem was/is few people got to tow with multiple vehicles, hitches and trailers so their experiences were very limited (works for me!! or i bought X so it's teh best!!).

Is more HP better? Sure is. Better resale, can do more with it, won't work it as hard as a lesser HP doing the same job.

OK, so perhaps the questions should be - what DRAWBACKS are there going to a higher HP tractor besides initial cost?

Other than maybe fuel consumption I can't think of any.

Now if you're talking the next bigger FRAME of tractor, then perhaps maneuverability, implement cost since you can use bigger ones, parking space, fuel consumption, tire cost, more fluids perhaps for fluid changes.

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #73  
Has anyone ever worn out a compact tractor engine that didn’t include running with no oil before the rest of the machine was junk? Diesels run a long time.

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #74  
When asking questions are we after facts (which anyone can in theory find and are not open for dispute)
Or opinions (like a-holes, everybody has one)
Or experience (and if you've not owned or operated a 25 and 35hp tractor you can't answer this question from experience)
or hear-say (my buddy, dad, I read, heard, saw in a tv show, guy on the next barstool said...)
or just looking for confirmation of the decision we've already made (common theme on the internet it seems)..

Hmm..... Do you think of these two quotes below as facts, opinions, or here-say?

"The hotter you run the engine the less soot you get, so loping about at 1200 rpm isn't adivsable. 1800 and up is what they say you should do."

"Also, with HST low rpm causes them to run hot and shorten their life."

rScotty

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #75  
told to me by different folks at dealerships - parts guy at one, sales man and mechanic at another.
Plus online in a tractor forum regarding overheating HST. Like any fluid in motion it gets hot, and flow through a cooler is needed to cool it - more rpm equals more flow, so more cooling.

As for the exhaust temp, I've also been told that by a cummins diesel tech.

Hmm..... Do you think of these two quotes below as facts, opinions, or here-say?

"The hotter you run the engine the less soot you get, so loping about at 1200 rpm isn't adivsable. 1800 and up is what they say you should do."

"Also, with HST low rpm causes them to run hot and shorten their life."

rScotty

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #76  
@4570Man Has anyone ever worn out a compact tractor engine that didn’t include running with no oil before the rest of the machine was junk? Diesels run a long time.

funny you should say that.............just yesterday while pushing/piling cedars that had to be removed with a back hoe, my buddy was running his dads 1835B - I was running my Volvo - he motions me over..........I still had mine running so couldn't hear it well, he said this things running funny and smoking a little, I drove around back and noticed it did smell a lil like motor oil and then it went BOOM like a bomb went off inside the engine and stopped - it was so violent the entire SS shook, a huge puff of smoke came out of the top of the engine and we looked at the valve cover and it blew the gasket out all around it so oil was oozing out onto the top of the motor.

We didn't have any tools to see if it would turn over and we needed to keep working so he went and got his white 105 and drug it thru the field to where we could get the truck/trailer and later after I finished the other field of cedars I got it pushed onto the trailer after digging a deeper hole to drop the trailer wheels in - we don't know what happened but it wont turn over with the key so I guess yesterday was the last time I can remember we wore out a diesel engine and yes it was running WOT HA!!!!

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #77  
Well, at least it stopped running "funny"?

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #78  
told to me by different folks at dealerships - parts guy at one, sales man and mechanic at another.
Plus online in a tractor forum regarding overheating HST. Like any fluid in motion it gets hot, and flow through a cooler is needed to cool it - more rpm equals more flow, so more cooling.

As for the exhaust temp, I've also been told that by a cummins diesel tech.

OK, thanks for staying with the fact vs opinion subject. I'll drop it now; the point seems to have beeen made.
Using the definitions from the original post those statements in the quote above look to fit the definition of hear-say opinion rather than facts.

As in: " ...hear-say (my buddy, dad, I read, heard, saw in a tv show, guy on the next barstool said...)

rScotty

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #79  
Okay, so every time I think I have it figured out, I start thinking again, lol.

So, I was pretty set on a Kioti CK3510 or maby LS XG3135. However, I am thinking the Kubota L Series may just have enough loader lift capacity for my needs after all. That said, the L3301 is about $3,000 more than the Kioti or LS. But, the L2501 would run about the same. I really like that the Kubota will have strong resale value, that they have a such a strong reputation for reliability and that there are several strong Kubota dealerships near my property. It's pretty much Kubota country around my parts. I also like that the L2501 would not have a regen cycle/DPF filter and, maybe this is dumb, but I like that it runs at a lower RPM.

There is just no way of knowing how each would perform on my property without having each one around for a while - which is not going to happen. I'm mostly going to be clearing brush, fence lines and trails, and maybe humping logs if I get a portable saw mill. I'd like something that can tug a shipping container around as effectively as my pickup (Toyota Tundra assisted using lumber skids below the container). The extent of rotary cutting will be related to clearing woody brush. I can't foresee more than 5 acres of grass being established on the place. The tractor will be 4WD, HST with R4 tires, whichever one I get. The property is 24 acres, sandy soils, some slopes, some flats.

For those of you who have run both 25 and 35 HP tractors, what would you say the primary differences in performance are, aside from how much or how fast you can mow grass? Also, am I crazy to be comparing an L2501 against a lesser branded 35 HP tractor? Am I just falling prey to Kubota marketing hype?

I moved 40 foot empty shipping containers with my 75HP New Holland and it took all it had. I'm not sure how a 25HP tractor of any brand will handle a container.

Just my thoughts

Andy

/ 25 HP vs 35 HP #80  
I moved 40 foot empty shipping containers with my 75HP New Holland and it took all it had. I'm not sure how a 25HP tractor of any brand will handle a container.

Just my thoughts

Andy

Where did that idea come in? I agree it’s not happening with a 25 hp tractor.