2550 hydraulic problem

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #1  

DLHWoodstock

Tractor
John Deere 435
Good morning guys
My tractor is a 2550 built in 1985. I am visiting my cousin in North Carolina, and we have been working my tractor pretty hard the past few days. Long story short, the hydraulics seem to have quit. On Friday there were some chattering in the hydraulic lines but once I idled it down and back up it seem to be fine. This happened at least twice on Friday. Yesterday Saturday, everything seem to be working well and I moved a lot of debris. I was attempting to move some dirt and we got off the tractor and back on it and now the hydraulics will not lift the bucket or the three-point hitch. Steering seems to work fine oil is full and clean. I was able to get the tractor back out of the woods but I am not sure I will be able to raise the bucket enough or the three point hitch to get it up on a trailer. I have read and similar post to try to raise a three point and look inside the rear housing for oil leaks. I will do that after church but at this point all my tools and equipment are back and Georgia. I am without my pressure tester and being unable to check flow do y’all have any thoughts? The only thing I know for sure at this point is the power steering works fine and it’s full of clean oil.

Thoughts please?

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #2  
If power steering operates correctly it's possible stand-by pressure which should be 2250psi has lowered to 1700 psi. This lower psi allows pressure control valve(item 15) to block pressure to 3pt hitch, scv & fel control valve. It's also possible stroke control valve isn't seating as designed due to foreign material in seating area. If your tractor hyd pump has a de-stroking screw(item 6) one can with engine operating at idle speed turn de-stroking screw CCW to open stroke control valve then turn DS screw CW & if you're lucky foreign material if present will be dislodged from SC valve seating area. You could if de-stroking SC valve doesn't solve pressure problem possibly attempt to back your tractor on trailer dragging bucket rearward.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-09 075253.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-09 075253.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 72
   / 2550 hydraulic problem
Thank you very much. I will try this after church today. I believe my SC is
at the bottom of the pump if it’s the same one that controls the pressure.

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #4  
Does your tractor have rear remotes that possible one is not spring to neutral? If so make sure they are in the neutral position as this would keep everything but steering to not work.

/ 2550 hydraulic problem
Does your tractor have rear remotes that possible one is not spring to neutral? If so make sure they are in the neutral position as this would keep everything but steering to not work.
Yes it has two remotes! I have moved the valves back and forth but that did not make any difference. I also don’t have anything running off of them right now. But I will try that again today.

Also I have learned that one of the guys has been driving the tractor around with the E break on. Now I’m worried that, that may have done something inside like add materials into the system.

/ 2550 hydraulic problem
Ok Guys
I got rained out but before I did, I did check for an internal fluid leak. What is the three-point hitch up and the fuel cap off I could not see anything flowing or spraying around. Tomorrow I will get under and adjust the stroke control.

One question can I take it all the way out and make sure it is clean and not binding or scored?

Thank you

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #7  
Do you want to take it out with your tools "back in GA" ? Good luck.

When was last hyd. oil/filter change, and the screen cleaned?

Did you gain any good information from the other thread?

Last edited:
   / 2550 hydraulic problem
Do you want to take it out with your tools "back in GA" ? Good luck.

When was last hyd. oil/filter change, and the screen cleaned?
Thanks for asking
It has been about four years since I changed the fuel oil and Hyd filter and I have never cleaned the screen. I’ve only had this tractor for four years and I don’t have 250 hours since then.
I don’t know where the screen is located, but I’d like to check and clean it to make sure.

As for the Hyd oil I changer it a month ago. I had to change the load control bushing and seals so I had to drain it anyway So I changed it.

I am looking for someone here but I will most likely take it back to GA.

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #9  
Your tractor may not have a screen in the hyd. oil system. So understand you changed the hyd. oil filter when you changed the hyd. oil. What condition was that oil?

/ 2550 hydraulic problem #10  
Photo below shows trans oil screen location. DO NOT TURN STROKE CONTROL VALVE SCREW without possessing a 5000 psi gauge to check stand-by pressure which should be 2250 psi! I think you're confusing "stroke control valve'' & "de-stroking valve". De-stroking valve if present will be on upper side of hyd pump.

Keep in mind over the yrs many hyd pumps have been replaced WITHOUT PERFORMING GOOD HYD DIAGNOSTICS only to determine that the replaced hyd pump in fact was good & not the hyd problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-25 090746.png
    139 KB · Views: 65