260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch!

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #1  
Tractor
260 jd manual transmission lawn tractor
Have a 260 JD lawn tractor manual transmission changed pto and now it won’t
Start have power to starter, been trying to find a bad safety switch but everything ran before new pto! Any new ideas would help thanks.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #2  
Welcome to TBN
Can you describe in better detail your starting steps? The detail may help us figure out either the problem or the solution.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch!
I push in the brake and clutch, transmission in neutral, then while sitting on seat and pto off I turn key to start nothing happens after that. The mower had started fine before. I did install a new pto to install it I hoisted mower up in the front to make it easier to install I can hear pto engage but now tractor won’t start.motor moves freely and I changed out starter.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #4  
Nothing you haven't already considered, but it sure sounds like the starting system thinks the pto is engaged. Maybe check and clean the electrical connections on the pto and switch?

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #5  
My guess is you disconnected a connector or one came apart and you missed getting it plugged back in. Could be the PTO or seat switch. If it were me I would jump around all the safety switches but that's a bit hard without a schematic.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #6  
Put 12v on the starter to see if that can be removed from the equation.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #7  
Here is some cut and paste from the service manual. maybe this will help. Please note that this information is generic and may not be an exact representation of your machine.
1700339175552.png

1700339216837.jpeg

Richard

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch! #8  
Go here and down load this PDF manual for you tractor. has wiring diagram in it.

/ 260 won’t start lawn tractor, put new pto on and won’t start. Power to starter, seat safety switch ok, trying to locate brake safety switch!
Put 12v on the starter to see if that can be removed from the equation.
Meter at the starter shows over 12 volts,
Battery is showing the same, I flipped pto switches back and forth and kicks on and off like it should.

The fellow at counter at JD is not giving me any ideas on switches or anything else I asked how much for safety neutral switch was $34 and change and tax. But no information at all. But if I forgot and left in gear the minute I put in neutral it would start!