Tires 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #1  

tpflyer

Tractor
Kubota 2920
I just traded up from my BX20 to a 2920. No matter how careful I drive in 2wd drive mode the front tires tear up my lawn. My friend also has the same problem with his 2920. I was wondering if there is another tire I can put on the front that is less agressive with more rounded sides that won't tear up the lawn when I turn? My BX was fine as long as I didn't drive and turn at full speed. The 2920 tears up the lawn even when I am really careful. Any ideas?

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #2  
You have to provide more information.

What type of tires are on the front now?
Do you have a FEL or weights up front?
Could the front tires be water-loaded (a mistake).
If the rears are loaded it will increase the tractor's weight as well making the tractor want to go straight and turning digs the edges of the front tires into the lawn.
Does the lawn get torn up when bone dry?
How does it function when something is attached to the 3 PH? That should take weight off of the front tires.
It also is going to weigh more than a BX by design.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #3  
That is one of the reasons I decided not to go with a 2920 as several report the same characteristic of that tractor. You can make tire changes to mitigate the tendency, but there will always be trade offs. A B does some thing better than a BX and a BX does some things better than a B.

I don't own a B and am only going by the posts on this forum, so I may be way off as all I have to go by is what other B owners have reported.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #4  
I have the uncommon bar/turf tires. Modified turfs in the front and a 'W' pattern bar tread on the rears. I can cut into the lawn when turning at full wheel lock but I avoid doing that and it's fine. Need more info on your setup.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn
I have the turf tires on the tractor with air no ballast in the tires. No weights and no FEL when mowing. Also no rear weight. I guess I could put the BH on and try it to see if the added weight in the rear helps. Of course that means no Lawn Rake. The standard turf tires on the 2920 have a slightly more aggressive tread design than the BX and it seems that the tread tends to scrape the top of the ground during turning. That combined with the smaller turning radius spells trouble for the grass. Doesn't seem to matter if the soil is firm or not. Obviously it is exaggerated when the soil is moist or wet. You can literally see every turn i make unless it is a very very shallow turn.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #6  
A little surprising really. Turfs, no ballast front or rear, no FEL when mowing.

Wow. Can you describe your soil and lawn? Our "lawns" here absolutely die if touched, by anything. Every track, every turn. Nature of the deal. You did not have these issues with BX? Frankly, surprised. The weight differential between the two is simply not THAT large.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #7  
John Deere had a problem with this very same thing when it first released the 4x00 series mid-framed CUT's. It was found there was a front axle design problem, and owners that complained got a new front axle replacement under warranty.

I would let your dealer know-and get written confirmation in case Kubota ever does the same thing...

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #8  
Is it in 4WD? If so, have you tried it in 2WD and is the effect the same?

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #9  
I have a 2920 with R4's, loaded rears, weights on the front (120lbs) mow with a 60" RFM with the loader off most of the time and the only time I get cuts from the front tires are when I'm in 4X4. I can make it cut in 2X4 but I have to make the turn at a faster ground speed. Maybe the RFM takes a little weight off the front but I wouldnt think that would amount to much when the deck is on the ground being pulled. Might want to make sure the air pressure in the front is 45lb(R4's), being low could casue the tires to flex more and grab the ground, just an idea. I had a BX2350 prior to this machine and I personally dont see any difference in the two when it comes to this.

/ 2920 front tires tearing up the lawn #10  
Might want to make sure the air pressure in the front is 45lb(R4's), being low could casue the tires to flex more and grab the ground, just an idea. I had a BX2350 prior to this machine and I personally dont see any difference in the two when it comes to this.

Max pressure written on the sides of the industrial tires on a B-2920 is 35 lbs!! Stand back please!!!!!

There are many soils that are easy to damage depending on conditions. The more I've lived the more I've learned never to say never because someone is bound to have the right conditions for failure.

The longer wheel base, shorter turn circle is vary well the problem over your BX. The fact that if your year was like central Ny you are wetter there then normal which would also add to the problem.

Do you have a soil change with your vary top inch or two that is peeling or is it just sandy where you are?