2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed?

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #22  
I'd like to actually see some of those allegedly perfectly straight 2x4s! They sure don't sell those at any of the big box stores around here.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #23  
I'd like to actually see some of those allegedly perfectly straight 2x4s! They sure don't sell those at any of the big box stores around here.

Not here either. All their lumber and plywood is warped and twisted. I get anything I need from a real lumber yard. Top quality for not very much more. I just shake my head when I see guys headed out the door with stuff that I would throw straight into the dumpster.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #24  
My local lumber yard is not much better. They look fine when stacked in their yard but it's a 50/50 proposition as to whether they remain that way when I let them lie around for a few weeks.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #25  
If you framed walls with full 2x4 lumber...even a full 16D nail will only have an inch and a quarter of purchase...

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #26  
If you framed walls with full 2x4 lumber...even a full 16D nail will only have an inch and a quarter of purchase...

That is correct. Years ago I did a lot of remodeling in Los Angeles. Those old houses were nailed up with 20d nails in most places. My uncle was a builder in those days, he used to talk about using a hatchet instead of a hammer. That was long before specialized and heavy framing hammers were available.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #27  
I read the story and it seems part of the decision was that they are sold as 2x4 and not 2"x4"...in other words the 2x4 is nothing other than a product name.

Agree. While I haven't read the legal opinion, my first thought was the plaintiff has a snowball's chance in ****. The terms, standards and industry practices will almost always take precedence.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #28  
I remember when they were 1 3/4" x 3 3/4"

Bet you don't. :) My recollection was 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 so I looked it up. Turns out there is a USDA paper on the history of lumber standards. It was all local practice until the 1920's. The Lumber Standard of 1924 set the actual minimums as 3/8 less than the nominal dimension except for 1" thick which was set at 25/32" (although some places continued to use 13/16). Over the years the dimensions 6" and greater were changed to 1/2" less. In 1956, the 1" nominal was changed to 3/4" and in 1961 the 1-5/8 was changed to 1-1/2. I'm not quite sure when the 8" and greater became 3/4" less.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #29  
If you cut your own trees and take them to a saw mill. Around here, they will come out 2x4. only store bought are less than 2x4, 2x6,6x6,etc,.

Yep, used to be all rough-cut lumber was full dimenstion. Only S4S comes out the thinner measure. I bought some 1x4 S4S and that stuff measured out less than 1/2" thiick

Used to be fun trying to remodel an old house built with rough cut. Very difficult to make new lumber match to the proper thickness/width needed.

/ 2x4 Lumber Law Suits Dismissed? #30  

Well...they pretty much are until they dry out! I watched them cut the bands on a new lift of 2x6. Pile expanded by about a quarter.

I built a temporary ceiling support of 2x4 to keep the cieling from collapsing when I was working on the remodel. Came back next moring and one of the upright 2x4 had a complete 90* twist from one end to the other. It wa straight when I put it in.