3 Point hitch air compressor

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #1  

hydrovane218

This is just a quick question regarding pto driven air compressors.This whole question comes about mostly because I have been servicing industrial air compressors for 13 years now and recently bought a 3203 John Deere.
Has anyone not had the need for real(20+cfm @ max 175psi) compressed air out in an area where 230v power is not easily available? ie. using air tools to make repairs out in a field or in a shop where a tractor could get to but without sufficient electricity? If so, have you spent the money and bought a gas driven unit for approximately $2000+?
I did a bit of a search and didn't come up with anyone making anything like this.(If I missed the boat on this one, enlighten me)
I am partially through a build of a unit using a (rebuilt 10hp offshore copy of a good old American pump-because I have enough parts to do this cheaply right now) and figure that at standard 540 rpm PTO speed, this setup will deliver slightly over 20 cfm at up to 175 psi.(All only using approximately 5-7 hp of PTO power. I am thinking that even if I got these pumps new, and not going large scale production(which probably won't ever be necessary), I could sell them for somewhere in the area of $1,400, and with this pump, at that speed, it should go forever.(considering that the gas driven units drive the pumps at around 1,100 to 1,200 rpm.
Just a curiosity that needs to be addressed.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #2  
I hope you build if for no other reason than it sounds cool and would make for a neat set of pictures.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #3  
hydrovane218 said:
This is just a quick question regarding pto driven air compressors.This whole question comes about mostly because I have been servicing industrial air compressors for 13 years now and recently bought a 3203 John Deere.
Has anyone not had the need for real(20+cfm @ max 175psi) compressed air out in an area where 230v power is not easily available? ie. using air tools to make repairs out in a field or in a shop where a tractor could get to but without sufficient electricity? If so, have you spent the money and bought a gas driven unit for approximately $2000+?
I did a bit of a search and didn't come up with anyone making anything like this.(If I missed the boat on this one, enlighten me)
I am partially through a build of a unit using a (rebuilt 10hp offshore copy of a good old American pump-because I have enough parts to do this cheaply right now) and figure that at standard 540 rpm PTO speed, this setup will deliver slightly over 20 cfm at up to 175 psi.(All only using approximately 5-7 hp of PTO power. I am thinking that even if I got these pumps new, and not going large scale production(which probably won't ever be necessary), I could sell them for somewhere in the area of $1,400, and with this pump, at that speed, it should go forever.(considering that the gas driven units drive the pumps at around 1,100 to 1,200 rpm.
Just a curiosity that needs to be addressed.

I think you have a great ides . There's got to be a lot of big old three phase high voltage compressors around that most people would not think about. Most people only use their air compressors for a few minutes anyway. High pressure, high volume, sounds like the way to go. Mounted on a frame, direct driven, or a pully setup. My PTO has two speeds, 540, and 850. I like your idea, show some pictures when you have it finished.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #4  
This sounds like a good idea! I know the antique JD tractors have air pumps for the PTO, but not to the tune of 175 PSI at 20 CFM. How do you plan on stopping the compressor from turning when it reaches 175 PSI? You would need some sort of electric clutch I guess from the PTo to the compressor?

Wayne

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #5  
Just flick the PTO switch.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #6  
LeadPoison said:
Just flick the PTO switch.

I'm not sure that's a plan, your in the middle of sand blasting, can barely see out your hood, and you need to make sure the pressure does not get over 175 PSI or something makes a loud noise. Or you let it pump up, go to the shed ot get a cold frosty one, and when you get back the compressor is burned out.

You really need an automatic shut off.

Wayne

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #7  
Unless you two people out there. One person operating the pump/pto the other on the business end. Not ideal, but it would get the job done. I don't think it would be a marketable product this way, but for the DIYer it would have appeal.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #8  
The $2,000 part of it is the killer for me. I have an old trailer that I built for a few hundred dollars that I can haul my gas generator on. This gives me power for my arc welder, my air compressor and electric tools. The generator was around $500 and I have a cheapy $100 air compressor that I use for most portable jobs, but also a good one for bigger jobs.

The thing I like about this is that it's very flexible in allowing me to have what I need, when I need it. Everything is used for other things and not dependent on a tractor that might not even be working at the time. Of course, it is dependent on the genorator working, but if my tractor is broke down out in the woods, getting the generator to work is allot easier then the tractor.

How much air preasure and usage do you need in a compressor for emergancy field work? I can run a 3/4 inch impact wrench with my small, portable air compressor. It doesn't last very long, but with a little patience, I've been able to get it done when I've had to do this.

Eddie

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #10  
The simplest way to regulate it would be to use an electric clutch (like an AC compressor) and a regular pressure switch. Easy enough...