3 Point hitch air compressor

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #11  
My gas driven pump has a pop off valve that relieves the excess pressure. It can pop and the pump continue to run without building any more pressure. Don't see why that wouldn't work in this case, but for 1400.00 I would have to see and electric set up.

I paid 300 for my year old compressor. It had a honda engine but only pumps to 150.

That is good enpugh for what I do. I do have a seperate 30 gal tank that I hook to it when I am going to be using the impact or air drill alot.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor
Guys... The pressure would be regulated by a PILOT valve that is connected to head unloaders. Head unloaders, in most cases, are basically a small piston usually attached to a fork that , when they have air applied to them, forces the suction valve open. By doing this, th pump doesn't generate any flow into the tank. (ie. pressure doesn't continue to build)
The compressors that alot of you likely have,(whether or not the store you bought them from has duped you into believing is a 5hp or not) is in most cases nowhere near a REAL 5hp. Rule of thumb is you get 4 CFM per hp at a standard pressure of 90 PSI. Therefore, if you look at any 5 hp industrial air compressor, you will get approximately 20 CFM at 90 PSI.(note that 90 psi is only the standard pressure that most units delivery is compared at and that this unit, like most industrial units, is rated up to 175 PSI)(the higher the pressure, the lower the output flow at that pressure(as these are fixed displacement piston pumps)
I have a 5hp 230v unit in my garage and I know that I can keep it running non stop when die-grinding, using an air chisel etc. This PTO unit would deliver the same flow as my home unit.
I was just trying to get some feed back as to why no-one is manufacturing one of these things yet(that I can see). I am guessing that, based on the replies so-far, the answer might be lack of demand for something like this at the price it might cost. (although it would be considerably cheaper than the same type of unit that is gas engine driven. ie.what transport truck tire service guys use)
I look forward to any more input anyone might have, constructive criticism or positive coments all the same. I have it partially constructed and will take a pic or two soon.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #14  
We had an air compressor hooked up to hydraulics on a work tractor. Noisy little bugger. Not sure about the brand. We used it to spray herbicides around 20psi. Mainly for small plot work, nothing like you need. It was mounted in the front and supplied air to a 3ph rigged up with a spray boom. That was 15 years ago and it's still being used.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #15  
I think its a good idea, but not one every person would pay for, if they had it they would use it.
I have a 18cfm 5hp 2 stage comp in the shop and a 5.5 hp single stage on my service truck and another 27 cfm 2 stage 12 hp kohler we keep at bush camp. I twin both 2 stage pumps together for sand blasting and the 18 cfm one is the least I would want in the shop, get busy with the da sander or die grinder and I have it running steady.
We got the 2 stage in the bush when we needed a 1" impact to service new equipment. But I never realized how handy it is for cleaning thing. We use a blow gun with a 36" wand and pressure wash with air in many cases. Rads general clean up its just as good as cleaning with water, and I don't get soaked.
The 27 cfm one I wanted a hydraulic motor to drive it off the wet kit on the truck, but it cost more to buy the parts then to buy a running gas unit.

I vote for the load genie or similar unloader system over a electric clutch. There pretty trouble free, no wires required.
I'd be more apt to use a hyd drive unit that would run off my skidsteer, and would like to see plenty of cfm for sandblasting.
There is no such thing as "too much air"
Ken

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #16  
Guys, 40 years ago I built a portable air compresser using a compresser out of a wrecked over the road truck. Used the air tanks off of that truck also. Those air compressers come with unloading valves and can be ran continusly for ever. Mine was direct coupled to an old two cylinder gas engine.

ron

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #17  
So essentially, you are looking at a compressor that puts out up to 27 cu ft , at 175 psi, PTO drive shaft, an unloader valve, and a tank of your choice and gages, mounted on a frame. I say it can be done, and there are some people that would love to have one for those big jobs. You could sell them as a kit if the price is right, or sell the plans.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #18  
How about this

Home

58 cfm at 100 psi. $600 plus a donor vw engine

I don't know that I would want 175 psi as I don't have any tools that operate at that range.

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #19  
You can always regulate the pressure so you tools always run at the same level. However many people I know run at full pressure, which depending on the cut in point is likely @ 150 psi. Higher pressure shorten the hammering time a impact needs to break a fastener loose, so in that respect it may not be as hard on the tool as you think. You will want to regulate it for some tools such as paint or undercoat sprayers
Ken

/ 3 Point hitch air compressor #20  
Wayne...I wouldn't want to stop the compressor when it reaches max pressure. It can be done, but would be much simpler to just use a pressure-relief valve to vent off excess pressure as the compressor continues to run.