3 point log splitter

/ 3 point log splitter #11  
Jim, Good point. Shortly after I got my Northern three point splitter I discovered that the hitch wouldn't move up when I was splitting. An embarassing phone call to the dealership service tech answered my question.

I put the "power beyond" option on my JD 4720 for the purpose of running the splitter but havn't gotten around to changing the hydraulic hoses to make it work. I trust the advantage to the power beyond is that the hydraulic control valves aren't involved so it should have no impact on the three point operation.
Terry,

/ 3 point log splitter #12  
10 hours a year is nothing. Its one less engine and keeps your dumb brother-n-law from borrowing it. The hours per year added to a tractor debate does not hold water.

Chris

With this same kind of reasoning, goes for PTO gensets, splitters, water pumps, etc. After all, we bought the tractors for hard work didnt we ? IF supposed to last longer then cars, but yet we are treating it like it gonna die in a few years with all the hours we put on the tractor.:rolleyes:

/ 3 point log splitter #13  
I just went throught this exercise last month. I was really really close to buying a 3ph splitter at TSC as they were on sale for $699. But, after reading posts here (do some searches) I decided to wait and save up for a splitter that is towable and that has its own engine. The reason is purely convenience, I want to be able to take it where I want such as in the forest and so on and I think if I get a good one the cycle time will be faster.

Good luck.

/ 3 point log splitter #14  
With this same kind of reasoning, goes for PTO gensets, splitters, water pumps, etc. After all, we bought the tractors for hard work didnt we ? IF supposed to last longer then cars, but yet we are treating it like it gonna die in a few years with all the hours we put on the tractor.:rolleyes:

That is why we went 3 point. Only one type of fuel to buy, and one engine to maintain. And there is not a small engine on the planet that comes close to a the efficiency of a diesel. The fuel savings alone is worth it.

/ 3 point log splitter #15  
One thing all of us with 3PH splitters have to realize is that the 3PH is inactive while the splitter is in operation. The remote has to return to neutral to allow the rest of the system to use hydraulic power. You can lower the 3PH, but you can't raise it.

Not on mine. It is ran via a Power Beyond so maybe that is the difference. I have full function of the steering, 3 point, remote, and FEL. I use the same remote to angle my snow plow and could run a grapple or anything else.

If anything a 3 point splitter stays with you. A tow behind every idiot friend and Brother-N-Law will want to borrow it.

Chris

/ 3 point log splitter #16  
Not on mine. It is ran via a Power Beyond so maybe that is the difference. I have full function of the steering, 3 point, remote, and FEL. I use the same remote to angle my snow plow and could run a grapple or anything else.

If anything a 3 point splitter stays with you. A tow behind every idiot friend and Brother-N-Law will want to borrow it.

Chris

Same with ours. If your 3PT is not working, you could be 'Deadheading" the pump.

/ 3 point log splitter #17  

Chris and WilliamBos: Perhaps your power beyond is the last thing in line in your open-center system and therefore will not effect the operation of all other circuits. However, if you operate the 3PH while the splitter is making its stroke, I'd bet it will stop or extremely slow down the splitter's ram while the 3PH is moving. That's just the way any open-center system works. All flow goes to the first thing inline and cuts off flow to the rest of the system so full pressure and flow can be used at any point in the open-center loop. Even without the log-splitter installed, I'd bet you will see that your 3PH will not raise at full speed while your FEL is moving or your remotes are angling your snowplow. As soon as the FEL joystick is returned to neutral or the remote is centered, you'll get full speed 3PH movement again. Open center systems are "one at a time, take your turn" types of systems. This is not to say that you cannot partially open a remote or slightly move the joystick and still have flow to the rest of the system, but the flow will be split with neither having full speed operation.

When you open a remote valve to provide maximum flow to a splitter, you would take all the flow that is available while the splitters valve is in the neutral position. At this point, nothing will have any pressure to work with. If there is anything after that remote in the open center system, it will not get power. The exception to this would be that as you move the splitter's lever to forward and the ram is pushing into the log, if you move the 3PH lever at that point, the splitter's backpressure will provide some pressure and flow to other parts of the open center loop.

/ 3 point log splitter #18  
I don't have a loader, so that will never be an issue. Also, lifting the 3PT and splitting wood is a rare occurrence too, if ever. Ours is plumbed in to the hoses that are for the loader controller.

Last edited:
   / 3 point log splitter #19  
I have a 5HP Brigg & Stratton log splitter. By the time it runs through a tank of gas, a quart?? or so, the price of the gas seems small compared to my tired back. I wish I could outwork a small gas engine! I also tow it with my ATV in tight spots. The tractor roll bar makes it hard to get into the timber in certain areas. I have a NORTRAC 204 tractor so would have to modify the tractor to power a splitter. I am happy with the present arrangment.

/ 3 point log splitter #20  
My system is plumbed this way. Pump-FEL-Remote-Priority Valve that powers the 3 point and steering-Reservoir. My power beyond is off my FEL valve and goes back to just power the remote. If you remove this from the system its plumed pump-FEL-priority valve-reservoir.

Chris