3 point log splitter

/ 3 point log splitter #21  

A tow behind every idiot friend and Brother-N-Law will want to borrow it.

Chris

Wanting to borrow it and borrowing it are two different things. I've never loaned mine out yet. :)

As with other tools other than the all-steel stone bars, no tools go out without me running them. And they apparently know how slow I work. :)

/ 3 point log splitter #22  
I have my splitter attached to the side of the carry all and used to plug it in to the bucket roll QA's on my last tractor. I have rear remotes on this tractor so it is just a little easier. I drive the tractor to the tree, do a little chain sawing, a little splitting, load the wood into the carry all as I am splitting it then get a little rest while I drive back to the wood pile. Works for me. And I am of the opinion that if I manage to wear this tractor out I will be quite proud of myself:D. It just turned up 100 hours today and got its first change to synthetic engine oil. I think it has a few more very good years left in it even if I do use it to run the wood splitter.:cool:

/ 3 point log splitter #23  
Chris and WilliamBos: It's certain from your posts that your system is surely different from mine. WilliamBos, how is using your FEL valve as far as speed? The reason I ask is that in another thread I also suggested to someone that they could use their FEL outlets instead of buying remotes. I just used my splitter yesterday to split about a rick of wood and found it to be plenty fast to keep up with me. Now all I need to do is find a way to quit dropping 1/2 rounds on my toes.:rolleyes::eek:

/ 3 point log splitter #24  
I split about 20 cord a year I doubt you could do that in 10 hours even though you apear to know everything...

/ 3 point log splitter #25  
In January 2007 I built a 3pt splitter powered by a 22 gpm PTO pump. Here's a link to the writeup: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ower-take-off-3pt.html?highlight=log+splitter

I used it behing my B2910 Kubota without loader. I loved it. I'd suggest the PTO pump to gain speed.

I now use a pull behind monster splitter. It's way more powerful than my homemade splitter but the ram isn't as fast.

I see benefits to both methods. I never thought of the hours on the tractor as an issue, figured over the long haul it's cheaper than maintaining a second power source, but what do I know. :)

Attachments

• DSC00261.JPG
    DSC00261.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 309
  • DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    374.1 KB · Views: 251
   / 3 point log splitter #26  
ovrszd,

Nice garage you have there, is that your personal garage or something you rent or use?

/ 3 point log splitter #27  
ovrszd,

Nice garage you have there, is that your personal garage or something you rent or use?

I'm very blessed with that shop in my back yard. I burned out of my old shop last winter and am getting the new one stocked. It's a Man Cave according to the wife. :)

/ 3 point log splitter #28  
I'm very blessed with that shop in my back yard. I burned out of my old shop last winter and am getting the new one stocked. It's a Man Cave according to the wife. :)

What was her first clue? The frig or the lazy boy? :) :) :)

/ 3 point log splitter #29  
What was her first clue? The frig or the lazy boy? :) :) :)

My old shop frig had a Beer tap in the side. Also had an old Koken Barber Chair. You can take some really nice naps in an old barber chair. I dreamed up a lot of great projects napping in that chair. :)

/ 3 point log splitter #30  
One more consideration about a 3PH splitter. Most, not all rear remotes do not have the same GPM flows as a stand alone hydraulic splitter. And, most stand alone hydraulic splitters have two stage pumps so the ram can advance and retract at a faster speed.

I have a stand alone and for me I find it a better fit. I take the chunk wood out of the trailer connected to the tractor and run it through the splitter that way I save one handling of the wood.

It takes me a little less than an hour to split a full cord of wood, my splitter has a 4 second cycle time. Check the cycle times for 3PH mounted splitters, I think they are in the 20 second to 30 second cycle time range. At that rate splitting a cord of wood may take a couple of hours.

Randy