Posthole Digger 3 point posthole auger

/ 3 point posthole auger #11  
Man, I am sure glad I have a hydraulic post hole digger on the FEL. Reverse the motor and back out of a root or rock problem. Easy down pressure if the soils is hard.

/ 3 point posthole auger #12  
As I lower it into the hole I am also constantly pulling it back up but once it get over 8" down, it really want to "go home" pretty fast and it bites in pretty solid screwing into the ground, I quickly lift it and it pops up pretty hard, nothing like the sandy soil in the videos online! Would a slight higher pto speed help...like maybe running the engine at 1,400-1,500?

Tony

Sounds to me you have the process down perfect.

/ 3 point posthole auger
Thanks for all the reply's. I did several holes today, nice and slow on the rpm and it worked much better. Stalled the engine once but overall low rpm and down slowly worked well. Thanks, Tony

/ 3 point posthole auger #15  
A little late but for future searchers. I have a BX22 and the first time I drilled a hole it went straight into the ground until it hit bottom.No reverse on the PTO so out came the shovels. I learned as I went, less RPMs, raising and lower the auger. Still had it take off a few times.
I was drilling about 40 six inch holes for a fence. My buddy and I came up with a solution, we use a standard 2 ton come-a-long (CAL) and a length 6 or 8 foot length of 3/8 chain. Double loop the chain around the ROPS (Gasp) and use a hardened bolt to secure the ends together about 2 feet from the ROPS. Then place the CAL in between the chain and the boom hook on the PTO boom. It works awesome. I let it out about 5 rotations on the CAL gear each bite and let the auger drill in. It still takes off sometimes but the tractor usually powers thru and pops the auger back up. A few time it actually bogs down the tractor but I can stop or raise the auger before it stalls the tractor. When your done just stop the auger, crank in the CAL and move to the next hole.
I was taking it slow the first time I tried this, made sure the ROPS wouldn't bend and all my rigging was up to the task. I'm not an expert so if you try this, its at your own risk.

/ 3 point posthole auger #16  
I buried one pretty good, used 36" pipe wrench to unscrew it.

/ 3 point posthole auger #17  
I actually figure a little trick to mine out the other day. I was able to have the tractor in range (it is a hydrostat) and the PTO engage but the clutch pushed in. I then used the loader to push the tractor back a few inches. This caused the auger to spin in reverse. Wouldn't want to have to do it very far, but in a worst case scenario type of deal.

/ 3 point posthole auger #19  
I will add that for me, the key to not burying the auger in too deep is to simply let it dig down a foot or so, then quickly bring it up with the three point lift. If the soil is fairly dry, it will usually sling the freshly dug dirt off of the auger as it clears the hole. Then, it's ready to drop back down in the hole again and let it dig down another foot or so. Be ready to bring it back up again quickly and clear out the hole. Just repeat this until it digs down as deep as you want/need the hole to be.

Practice makes perfect, and once you master it, you will be digging holes with ease, and seldom ever get it stuck. Sometimes though, that errant large root or rock will cause it to get stuck in the hole and you won't be able to just lift it up with the 3pt lift.

/ 3 point posthole auger #20  
My soil changes from in layers. If I'm in solid red clay, there is never a problem. But if I hit a layer of what I call grey clay, it sucks down the auger the second it hits it. Sometimes I can ride the clutch, rev the engine and get it to power through once it hits bottom and get it out. Every now and then I have to use the wrench to turn it out, or get the backhoe and lift it out with a chain hooked to the loader.

I like the chain on the ROPS idea. I thought about using a post that hung down and rested on the ground when I'm as deep as I want to go, but that idea had too many issues that I don't want to deal with for something that happens one out of fifty times.

Eddie