Posthole Digger 3 point posthole auger

/ 3 point posthole auger #21  
Sometimes you catch a root or rock and if your foot is NOT resting on the clutch - you'll be surprised what a couple of seconds can do!!!

/ 3 point posthole auger #22  
My soil changes from in layers. If I'm in solid red clay, there is never a problem. But if I hit a layer of what I call grey clay, it sucks down the auger the second it hits it. Sometimes I can ride the clutch, rev the engine and get it to power through once it hits bottom and get it out. Every now and then I have to use the wrench to turn it out, or get the backhoe and lift it out with a chain hooked to the loader.

I like the chain on the ROPS idea. I thought about using a post that hung down and rested on the ground when I'm as deep as I want to go, but that idea had too many issues that I don't want to deal with for something that happens one out of fifty times.

Eddie

I'm thinking you could actually accomplish the same "check chain" feature by just having a bite of chain rigged without the CAL say to about half the hole depth. Then just unhook the chain to another bite at hole depth. That way if it does take off its only half buried.
I'm pretty comfortable using the CAL set up and will post a picture since I'm digging some pole barn post this weekend. A larger tractor wouldn't have to worry as much.
My soil is surprisingly large rock free but is damp brown or greyish clay about 6 inches down and just loves to grab the auger.

/ 3 point posthole auger #23  
I guess i'm missing the point of the chain and the rops? Do you guys use a tractor thats to small to pull the auger back up out of the hole? Only toyed with a 3pt PHD, always used a loader hydraulic driven one to put in posts.