3 Point Turbo Saw

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #31  
Y'all DO know that this is a 2-year old thread AND that there's one about the identical saw just below this on the forum index page, right?

- Jay

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #32  
Yup, it's old, but still useful!

HT Brooks,

I personally wouldn't attempt to cut a tree that big with a Turbo Saw, but I've never used one either.

They really aren't even designed to cut that large, they are meant for quick cutting of smaller diameter trees.

Ideally I'd like a large Brown Tree Cutter, but the Turbo Saw seems like it would be able to be effective on my size tractor, whereas the tree cutter wouldn't be.

Trees that large should be properly dropped using a chainsaw and proper techniques.

What size tractor would you be using it on?

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #34  
I personally don't have any experience with these tree saws, so keep that in mind. I'll just give a "synopsis" of what I've read on here, found from other online research (on the internet, so you know it's true :D) and speaking to the manufactures. I've also been in touch with other members by private message and they've given me their thoughts.

For your tractor (very similar to mine but with more PTO hp) the tree saw would work very well. It seems like most are saying that for any trees under 8" it will cut them pretty much as fast as you want to back up. Anything over that, starts getting a little slower. Even a larger 70hp tractor could use more power when cutting into a large tree. If you have HST transmission you will be able to creep into the cut as slow as needed if it's a larger tree.

If you have very hilly terrain, or very rocky areas, (which I'm assuming you have neither in TX) then that could pose a complication to the overall efficiency of the saw.

If you have rear remote hydraulics, you can get the grapple version which is very useful to apply pressure to the tree as it is about to go over, decreasing the chances of dropping a tree on the tractor. Although the website says that the grapple is very useful for hauling the trees away after you cut them, it seems like it's not as practical as they make it seem, unless they are smaller, bushier trees. I personally wouldn't use it for that, since I have a front end loader grapple.

Honestly though, if most of your trees are 18" plus, then I do NOT think that a tree saw on a relatively small tractor is even remotely close to resembling a good idea. ;)

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #35  
I personally don't have any experience with these tree saws, so keep that in mind. I'll just give a "synopsis" of what I've read on here, found from other online research (on the internet, so you know it's true :D) and speaking to the manufactures. I've also been in touch with other members by private message and they've given me their thoughts.

For your tractor (very similar to mine but with more PTO hp) the tree saw would work very well. It seems like most are saying that for any trees under 8" it will cut them pretty much as fast as you want to back up. Anything over that, starts getting a little slower. Even a larger 70hp tractor could use more power when cutting into a large tree. If you have HST transmission you will be able to creep into the cut as slow as needed if it's a larger tree.

If you have very hilly terrain, or very rocky areas, (which I'm assuming you have neither in TX) then that could pose a complication to the overall efficiency of the saw.

If you have rear remote hydraulics, you can get the grapple version which is very useful to apply pressure to the tree as it is about to go over, decreasing the chances of dropping a tree on the tractor. Although the website says that the grapple is very useful for hauling the trees away after you cut them, it seems like it's not as practical as they make it seem, unless they are smaller, bushier trees. I personally wouldn't use it for that, since I have a front end loader grapple.

Honestly though, if most of your trees are 18" plus, then I do NOT think that a tree saw on a relatively small tractor is even remotely close to resembling a good idea. ;)

I do see that the saw has a push bar on the back if you elect not to get the grapple. I agree that the chainsaw on bigger trees is probably the way to go. I have so many I'm trying to clear. I've owned my place for 6 years now...3 chainsaws, over 250 trees and too many chains to count lol, I'm just looking for a quicker, more efficient option. I would have it timbered but the mills around here aren't looking for what I have.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #36  
Do you have a lot of smaller trees as well?

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #38  
I think you need to stick with some heavy equipment, certainly not the tree saw.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #39  
I have owned a DFM turbo saw for 2 years and have used it on a JD 3038E. It is great for 8-10" diameter trees and smaller. Using it on large intact trees is DANGEROUS. A tractor based saw does not provide protection from falling trees. With a tractor saw, chainsaw the tree and use the tractor saw to deal with the stump. Using a tractor saw on large trees is like cutting a large tree with a chainsaw and giving up the ability to move away quickly when something goes wrong. If you are cutting a large number of large 12" an up, look at the skid steer based saws. Skid steer operator cages are built to protect from large heavy things hitting them and offers much greater operator protection. The flexability of the saw mounting system, operator protection, manuverability, and cutting reach is much better suited for the larger trees. I started chain sawing the larger trees when 12" diameter 30' tall tree fell on my tractor. The ROP saved me from serious injury. There was enough force to break the lens on the ROP light.

/ 3 Point Turbo Saw #40  
I have owned a DFM turbo saw for 2 years and have used it on a JD 3038E. It is great for 8-10" diameter trees and smaller. Using it on large intact trees is DANGEROUS. A tractor based saw does not provide protection from falling trees. With a tractor saw, chainsaw the tree and use the tractor saw to deal with the stump. Using a tractor saw on large trees is like cutting a large tree with a chainsaw and giving up the ability to move away quickly when something goes wrong. If you are cutting a large number of large 12" an up, look at the skid steer based saws. Skid steer operator cages are built to protect from large heavy things hitting them and offers much greater operator protection. The flexability of the saw mounting system, operator protection, manuverability, and cutting reach is much better suited for the larger trees. I started chain sawing the larger trees when 12" diameter 30' tall tree fell on my tractor. The ROP saved me from serious injury. There was enough force to break the lens on the ROP light.

Well, thanks for all the info. Doesn't look like I will be buying one. Just a few new chainsaws and a ton of chains. Certainly can't afford to go spend a fortune on a skid steer and attachment. I know what those cost.