Chipper 3 pt chipper

/ 3 pt chipper #11  
I have a Bearcat chipper, that also has a shredder chute for small stuff. I think the chipper will take up to 5" and it's spec'd for a minimum 20 HP. I really like it, Wallenstein was my second choice but at the time they didn't have a model that would do brush, vines, etc. I got the Bearcat from Iowa Farm Equipment, they seemed to have the best price.

/ 3 pt chipper #12  
I have a Jinma 6" chipper from Ranch Hand Supply. I've probably got about 40 hours of use on it now, some hard and some light. No complaints, no breakdowns, just normal routine maintenance. It's about time to turn the blades over. I've fed it everything from hard 6" lengths of oak to huge piles of palm fronds and tree clippings. The chipper was setup and adjusted before I received it which made it easier for me to start using it. I've had the chipper for about a year and a half now and I'd purchase it again if I were to do it all over again.

/Todd

Last edited:
   / 3 pt chipper #13  
I also have a 6" Jinma (or it's copy) with about 30 hrs use.

Only major problem was feed roller drive u-joints.

Learned that feeding a chipper isn't alot of fun.

/ 3 pt chipper #14  
I have a BearCat PTO chipper, the base model, which ran well with my 20hp tractor. I believe it is a 5 inch capacity and it would slow the engine a bit when something that big was fed but mostly it kept up just fine with 3-4 inch stuff.

/ 3 pt chipper
First off. I appreciate all of your input. Just got an e-mail from DR chipper . A clearance on their 4.5" chipper. But its not their rapid feed chipper .What is the difference( Do you have to push the wood in the machine,) or what. Enlighten me . Thank you Andrew

/ 3 pt chipper #17  
DR makes good homeowner focused equipment but there are some real differences between the DR chipper and larger models like the BearCat, Wallenstein, Jinma etc. The major difference is the weight of the flywheel which has a pretty big impact on how big a branch you can chip. The DR has a very light flywheel so you have relatively little energy stored in the flywheel and rely much more on the direct power of the tractor PTO. The models with heavier flywheels can store energy in the rotating mass which allows them to work through "tough" bits more easily.

DR is a good company but there is a reason their chippers are so much less money.

/ 3 pt chipper #18  
First off. I appreciate all of your input. Just got an e-mail from DR chipper . A clearance on their 4.5" chipper. But its not their rapid feed chipper .What is the difference( Do you have to push the wood in the machine,) or what. Enlighten me . Thank you Andrew
I'm not familiar with the DR chippers. But I would assume that you WOULD have to hand feed the branches in. That's not an issue with the Wallenstein. Given the design of the blades and feed chute, the Wallenstein grabs and pulls the wood in very nicely. Check the DR web site and see what it says. :)

/ 3 pt chipper #19  
Do a little searching here and you'll find all the opinions you could want. The DR is a nice machine, but not for everyone. I like mine because it was reasonably priced, American made, and works very well for the majority of what I chip, which is hardwoods without lush green leaves. I don't chip anything over 2-3" because i burn that stuff in my woodstove, yet the DR can handle bigger easily enough. You don't have to keep pushing the limbs in, though you may need to guide longer ones as the knives pull them in with gravity assist. There are some species that won't self feed well, like some cedars I chipped where the many stiff branches resisted self feeding, or a poplar where the many sharp bends (around 90 degrees) created wide crotches that didn't easily pass through the 4" or so opening. Lots of green leaves can offer resistance to self feeding too, and require assistance. Since none of these situations are a big part of what I chip, I'm quite happy with mine, and prefer to have the money I didn't spend on a fancier machine for other implements.

/ 3 pt chipper #20  
There are some species that won't self feed well, like some cedars I chipped where the many stiff branches resisted self feeding, or a poplar where the many sharp bends (around 90 degrees) created wide crotches that didn't easily pass through the 4" or so opening.

Alders also get some very long branches that can resist the feed roller on my Jinma and I've got a lot of them to get rid of.:( I carry a good, sharp, heavy bladed machete that will cut off any branch up to ¾", maybe even 1" with a couple whacks. It's easier than trying to clean them off with the chainsaw.