3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #1  

gengine

Platinum Member
I have a '65 Deere 3020 diesel non-turboed that I had plugged in overnight to fire up the next morning to push snow. All of a sudden after 3-4 minutes of running to warm up, tractor hadn't moved yet, it started smoking like an old steam locomotive. I went over to it and oil was blowing out of the exhaust. I shut it off and after a bit checked the oil which was two quarts low, when it was up to the top of the hatches before I started it. It never burned oil before. Where should I start?

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #2  
Broken rings? Valve stem problem?
Firing on all cylinders?

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust
This is running on all four cylinders just fine, has a hard time revving up but I'm sure that's because of the oil. I haven't let it get hot enough for a runaway. I am also thinking valve stem seals, but I didn't know if there was somewhere else that I should check first. I am a heavy equipment mechanic, and this is a little engine by what I work on most of the time. My first thought was turbo, but there is none. My second was valve seals, or worse, a cracked head. I'm just curious if there is something I'm missing before I do a tear down. Any thoughts and insight are appreciated.

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #4  
might do a compression check to start if you can get the right gauges, procedures
best of luck

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #5  
Clogged crankcase vent?

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #6  
I have a Honda tractor and it would blow oil smoke in huge clouds from time to time. The oil level would drop quite a bit when this happened. The culprit was valve stem seals. My son replaced them and now it never smokes and does not use oil.
Eric

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #7  
What is your Honda tractor? Engine? HP ? Model #?

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #8  
   / 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust
The 3020 Deere is a heck of a lot bigger than a single cyl Honda, but engines are engines. Valve seals are very likely in both cases. I didn't think about what Hay Dude said about crankcase vent...
Been There and Big Bubba, my compression tests from 1-4 are: 325, 317, 321, 330, so I am not thinking it is a ring or compression issue, what do you think?

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #10  
The 3020 Deere is a heck of a lot bigger than a single cyl Honda, but engines are engines. Valve seals are very likely in both cases. I didn't think about what Hay Dude said about crankcase vent...
Been There and Big Bubba, my compression tests from 1-4 are: 325, 317, 321, 330, so I am not thinking it is a ring or compression issue, what do you think?
Pull the exhaust manifold and check the ports. If it's smoking that bad you might be able to see the oil coming down the valve stem or stems.