3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust
Thanks for the reply Boomer, I will try that this week.

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #12  
Semi-related: I have a Kubota diesel that kept blowing a crankcase plug. Pressurized oil blowing out of it. Turns out the crankcase vent had mud wasp nests built in it and the crankcase had no way to vent itself. I guess Kubota installs a small rubber plug on their crankcases to blow out for just such a problem like that, but it could also be for something else.

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #13  
Gengine, I just had a thought with a JD I worked on last week. This may not apply to the 3020, but it does apply to any JD which has a fuel tank mounted low enough that it uses a lift pump to get fuel through the fuel filter and over to the injector pump.. Come to think of it, this applies to the injector pump as well, not just to the lift pump.

Both those pumps are driven off a cam and the only thing that keeps oil and fuel from mixing is the seal between the cam and cam follower in either pump. So that seal does much the same job as a valve stem seal. The difference is that if the pump follower seal goes bad I'd expect the crankcase to probably get fuel into the motor oil.... which you would notice on the dip stick.

I think you said the motor oil was lowish, so that probably isn't the problem. But since it didn't run very long it still could be. It is worth thinking about if the valve seals don't pan out or if you see a gain in motor oil level in the sump.

As you say, all 4 stroke engines are basically the same.

rScotty

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #14  
I had a 91 roadmaster blow out the dipstick from a plugged crankcase vent passage in the throttle body. It didn't smoke from the exhaust. it smoked from the oil hitting the exhaust manifold under the hood.

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #15  
I had a 91 roadmaster blow out the dipstick from a plugged crankcase vent passage in the throttle body. It didn't smoke from the exhaust. it smoked from the oil hitting the exhaust manifold under the hood.
That has happened to me, too on equipment with a plugged crankcase vent. Ever since my Kubota blew the small rubber plug, I became a little less comfortable knowing how quickly a lot of oil could be lost before you realize it and shut it down.

I had it happen twice and lost several quarts in less than a minute.

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #16  
That has happened to me, too on equipment with a plugged crankcase vent. Ever since my Kubota blew the small rubber plug, I became a little less comfortable knowing how quickly a lot of oil could be lost before you realize it and shut it down.

I had it happen twice and lost several quarts in less than a minute.
Good call, Hay Dude. Now that the Kubota M59 has passed the thousand hour mark I was thinking of going back to the operator's manual's "periodic maintenance chart" and seeing what else I've missed.

Oops, I just checked and the crankcase breather isn't mentioned. That seems like an oversight, so I'll add that breather to the routine maintenance and thanks for the reminder. Seems easy, On the m59 the breather sits on top of the rocker cover, disassembles with screws, and inside has a diaphram flapper valve and what looks to be some filters.

I'll put it right there next to Kubota's reminder to drain the clutch housing water "as required"... That always gives me pause when I read it. You gotta wonder what they think I'm going to be doing if draining water out of the clutch housing is required maintenance...

rScotty

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #17  
I was driving and noticed the smoke in the rear view mirror. Made a mess of the engine bay. I pulled over, stuck the dipstick back in and it didn't come back out again. after that I investigated and cleaned out the passage and hose in the throttle body.

Where was that plug on your kubota? I'm assuming on a much larger tractor than my L4740.

I should probably check mine. I have what appears to be a rear main seal leaking and I want to make sure it is not something simple before having the tractor split.

It's been a little while fallas, I apologize. A bigger project came up and it'll take some time before I can really get this into the shop. I'll start posting again when I get started. Thanks!

I just saw the second page, oops. I had a Kubota engine in a generator where the crankcase vent was plugged with ice. A rubber plug blew out and sent oil everywhere. That plug is for another location for the dipstick depending on the engine application, such as this engine in the generator is also widely used in mini excavators. The oil pressure sensor shut that down before any damage was done thank goodness. rScotty- I don't have fuel going into the oil on this tractor, but I do in the Allis Chalmers 175, coming from the injection pump, so that's another project. I think I spend too much time/money on this farming habit...

/ 3020 has oil blowing out of the exhaust #20  
maybe try letting the motor get warmed up. i`ve had jd tractors that slobbered after starting but then would clear up after a good warmup. this happened during cold chilly wx.