3038e buying advice

/ 3038e buying advice #1  

coloradotrout

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn
Anything to look at in particular about this tractor and FEL with 300 hours?

I have a hst 4100 with FEL. I'd like more HP to run the tiller, etc.

What price should I expect?

Any major issues to look out for?

/ 3038e buying advice #2  
If you purchase the Deere 30038e you will have 50% more weight and twice the power relative to your current Deere 4100.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited:
   / 3038e buying advice
If you purchase the Deere 30038e you will have 50% more weight and twice the power relative to your current Deere 4100.

A worthwhile upgrade.

Excellent. Thank you. I'd like the R lift capacity but not enough to pay for it I think.

/ 3038e buying advice
While test driving this appeared

ICC 003695.03 (ICC 3695.03)- Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Inhibit Switch Voltage above normal, or shorted to high source
Regen inhibit switch stuck on or short to power

It was intermittent. Nothing at startup. Engine was cold. Then after 15 minutes it came on. Then it went off at shutdown, but came on again later.

/ 3038e buying advice
Did some searching. What about LS 35 to 40 hp models?

/ 3038e buying advice #6  
Did some searching. What about LS 35 to 40 hp models?
I researched tractors for 2 years, and the only reason I decided against an LS, was the ECM engine and numerous safety switches/ecm/DPF that caused the tractor not to run, or to go into limp. I bought a TYM with a mechanical engine, no limp mode, no seat switches, no ECM control of the engine. It is probably the only manufacturer still using mechanical injection

/ 3038e buying advice #7  
Some of the early 3038E's had a hydraulic seal go bad around the PTO shaft area. Pretty common problem per my dealer. About $300 for the dealer to fix it.

/ 3038e buying advice #8  
I researched tractors for 2 years, and the only reason I decided against an LS, was the ECM engine and numerous safety switches/ecm/DPF that caused the tractor not to run, or to go into limp. I bought a TYM with a mechanical engine, no limp mode, no seat switches, no ECM control of the engine. It is probably the only manufacturer still using mechanical injection
That won't last either....lol

/ 3038e buying advice #9  
I considered the 3038e and a couple Kubota's years ago but when it came time to decide, I went with LS, got more tractor for much less money.
It's a 2020 and I have put on 252 hours and no issues so far. It flashed an error code early on but I shut it off , restarted and it has never come back. I did tighten up the ground lugs as I have often seen recommended for various codes.
I got it with the backhoe (Only $4500 then, been well worth it) and I've used an EA grapple, TerraForce tiller, disk, pallet forks, and a Bush hog BH215 brush hog.