3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #12  
Just be sure to drop a can over the exhaust if left where rain can get to it. I find a plastic drink bottle with top cut off works great. I know, some dealerships have them sitting there open, read the manual.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)
Just be sure to drop a can over the exhaust if left where rain can get to it. I find a plastic drink bottle with top cut off works great. I know, some dealerships have them sitting there open, read the manual.

Great minds thing a like:cool:. Grabbing an empty soup can out of the recycling to cover the manifold was the first thing I did after I installed the kit. Even though the tractor gets covered with a tarp, I would never want to risk the chance of water getting in there. I've seen various dealerships that never cover the stacks or the vert. manifolds either, makes you wonder what there thinking:confused:.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #14  
If its outside, I agree to cover. Due to its location around plastic, does the up pipe have a hole in it at the bottom of the bend to let out water?

My 5203 has one, but it is not around plastic, or inside an engine compartment.....

If its outside, I agree to cover. Due to its location around plastic, does the up pipe have a hole in it at the bottom of the bend to let out water?

My 5203 has one, but it is not around plastic, or inside an engine compartment.....

I don't believe there is a hole, but I can't say I have really inspected the piece either. I'll have to take a look when I get a chance.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #16  

You know, I have not had a problem with fumes, nmu98, how about you?;)
I looked at installing the vertical exhaust but I have not noticed the fumes, even with the back window open :rolleyes:

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #17  
You know, I have not had a problem with fumes, nmu98, how about you?;)
I looked at installing the vertical exhaust but I have not noticed the fumes, even with the back window open :rolleyes:

I get them at start up outside the cab when I have the frontier snow push on. Its such a high wall that it pushes everything back. I have not had a problem with fumes on the OS or cab model, but I operate in open fields. If you were in tight places, maybe even high weeds, I could see having an issue.

On startup when its cold, I ussually check bolts to make sure everything is tight, and it is pretty bad then. The garage or barn does not flow air, and for a new diesel, its bad. It tops my 5203 for smoke in the cold..... Helk, even some of the 25 year old IH's are better..... But they all have upward pointed exhausts....

I like the idea of this. I do not like the cost!

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #18  

I just read this again.... Wouldn't it mealt if you dropped it on there right after you used the tractor.....??? I know the 5203 would not like plastic... One of my friends thought it would be funny to hang my columbia jacket off there after I brought it in from helping out my neighbor. It mealted right through....... And that was when it was 30 degrees outside......

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #19  
I thought the vertical exhaust stacks were curved at the outlet. Shouldn't that keep the water out of them??? It seems ashame that one should have to put half a Campbell's soup can on the outlet of his tractor exhaust to keep the water out, on a machine this expensive.

John M

I thought the vertical exhaust stacks were curved at the outlet. Shouldn't that keep the water out of them??? It seems ashame that one should have to put half a Campbell's soup can on the outlet of his tractor exhaust to keep the water out, on a machine this expensive.

John M

Yes, the top of the stack is curved, but that doesn't mean water can't get in there. Water has an interesting ability to find its way into the most unwanted and harmful places and this debacle just comes with the territory of a vertical exhaust stack.

I'm not trying to be rude, but honestly I don't really see your point in the problem. John Deere already offers a system that protects against water penetration, but the problem is that it kills you faster:(. Since I added this as an alternative to the OEM option, I have no problem covering an exhaust manifold after every use if it lessons the amount of exhaust fumes I breathe.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.:cool: