3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #21  
WH,

No need to be confrontational here. I have already complemented you earlier in the post on a nice and smart install of an exhaust in which I had interest also but never did, so please keep that in mind. My point is, honestly, and I think it is a reasonable one in this case, is that you own a modern and expensive machine. It is not a 1965-era tractor with a straight vertical exhaust . I appreciate your insight into a potential problem, but if JD has not adequately designed its OEM replacement vertical stack such that its owners do not have to worry about this occurence, the system needs to be redesigned. One should be able to choose horizontal or vertical exhaust and know that it works and is safe for the engine. I am not diminishing your concern in any way, merely that I feel badly for you (and pertinent others) that this has to be done. A drain or closing flap with the factory exhaust would be a nice option if this is an issue--from the factory and included in what you paid. Yes, you can and should have you cake and eat it too with this price of machine and I fault JD--not you--if this was not done in the design.

John M

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #22  
I don't think water getting into the vertical exhaust is a problem. I owned a JD870 for 13 years and it sat outside every day I owned it. While it did spray out some black sooty water, that was only on a rare occassion. Maybe 3 times in 13 years. I see no harm in covering the exhaust if that makes you feel better. Also the JD870 had the original muffler. Look at all the new heavy equipment out there, almost all of them are fitted with a vertical exhaust and no rain cap. I really don't see the uncovered exhaust taking in enough rain water to worry about, but we all obsess about our tractors.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics)
WH,

No need to be confrontational here. I have already complemented you earlier in the post on a nice and smart install of an exhaust in which I had interest also but never did, so please keep that in mind. My point is, honestly, and I think it is a reasonable one in this case, is that you own a modern and expensive machine. It is not a 1965-era tractor with a straight vertical exhaust . I appreciate your insight into a potential problem, but if JD has not adequately designed its OEM replacement vertical stack such that its owners do not have to worry about this occurence, the system needs to be redesigned. One should be able to choose horizontal or vertical exhaust and know that it works and is safe for the engine. I am not diminishing your concern in any way, merely that I feel badly for you (and pertinent others) that this has to be done. A drain or closing flap with the factory exhaust would be a nice option if this is an issue--from the factory and included in what you paid. Yes, you can and should have you cake and eat it too with this price of machine and I fault JD--not you--if this was not done in the design.

John M

If you feel I was being confrontational then I apologize, but I that's why I said, "I'm not trying to be rude".:cool:

That said, how would you design the vertical exhaust so that water has no chance of entering it? In JD's efforts, there VE design is a compromise to hopefully fit every customer. It's hard to design a VE that, 1. Fully protects against water, while at the same time, 2. Directs the exhaust away from the driver in the best possible way. Yes, you could add a flapper and that would curtail the water intrusion problem, but that wouldn't deflect the exhaust in the most viable way. When you mount the VE, the top of the stack sits at right about head level. If you had a flapper, more exhaust would be blowing in your face, but you wouldn't have to worry about water. If you have a curved out tip on the top of the exhaust, it better deflects the exhaust, while doing an adequate job with water protection. Though, because the top of the exhaust still is completely open, there is always that chance.

Yes, you pay a premium for these machines and they are definitely far from there 1965 counterparts. But, a VE has changed very little since that time and no matter how JD or any other manufacturer may design something, your never able to appease every customer.

In my opinion, as long as the VE keeps the fumes away from me, then I'm not worried about water protection. It only takes 2 seconds for me to put a cover over the manifold and for what the kit does, that's not a relevant problem to me.

But I respect your opinion in that you would rather have a design that does both for the price you pay for the machine. That's the good thing about opinions though, we each have one and it's what makes us different from everyone else. If we didn't have our own opinions, we wouldn't be our own person.

:cool:

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #24  
Covering exhaust is added insurance, We have several machines that have the 90 degree or curl over and have never had a problem with excessive water getting in.;)

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #25  
This is a very interesting thread my kubota 7510b does not seem too bad for fumes except when it first starts cold. I am waiting for a new 3720 cab model should be here next week. They say the 3720 has a good air system and air filter. I was wondering is this vertical exaust upgrade something that might improve the inside air quality of a cab tractor? I am in the position to call the dealer and have them install it if it is the best interest of my health?

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #26  
I have a 3720 cab tractor w/o the verticle exhaust option and can't recall ever having diesel fumes in the cab. The standard exhaust comes out the front and is directed down toward the ground. The cab air intake filter is in the back center of the cab roof. I've read somewhere the cab always has a slight positive air pressure inside which helps prevent fumes from coming in any cracks.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #27  
I put one those kits on my 4105 made world of difference in the fumes
If you look at the new elbow you put on their is a slot for water to get out
It makes that turbo sound good to.

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #28  
Just be sure to drop a can over the exhaust if left where rain can get to it. I find a plastic drink bottle with top cut off works great. I know, some dealerships have them sitting there open, read the manual.

put one of those johnny popper rain flap thingys on it

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #29  
the reason they put the "weed burner" exhaust on there is so there isnt any issues when in areas of low hanging limbs and the such but why couldnt a person route the exhaust under the tractor put exiting out the rear of the tractor similar to a cars exhaust???

/ 3320 Vertical Exhaust Install (pics) #30  
I've been considering a VE for our 4510. I don't have a problem with noxious fumes from the exhaust but we live in a hot, humid climate (semi-tropics) and the heat from the stock downward exhaust really fries my feet. Anyone else notice this problem and. if so, does the VE lower the floor board temperature?