35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #71  
I think I will chime in and add some more confusion.
I got my 1989 JD2555 stuck in the edge of the pond up at the church. I was pulling a 15 foot batwing mower. I hooked my newer tractor up to both of them and tried to pull it out. It is a 2013 Kubota M7040. It is rated at 3 or so horsepower less than the JD. It it 4wd, while the JD is 2wd. The Kubota would not pull the pair of them out, with both in gear. So I unhooked the mower and pulled the JD2555 out. Then I hooked a large strap I have to the rear of both tractors and ran it through a clevis on the front of the mower. With both tractors pulling, the strap started slipping towards the JD2555 side, meaning it was out pulling the Kubota, even with the Kubota in 4wd. The JD2555 is considerable heavier than the Kubota by several thousand pounds, so I think that had a lot to do with it pulling better than the Kubota. However, had I originally been pulling the batwing with the Kubota, I would probably not gotten stuck, because the front wheel drive would have allowed the front end to be steered away from the pond.
David from jax

Dont know how you have the two tractors configured ballast wise......but bare tractor JD2555 = 6200# and Kubota = 4800#.

In dry conditions, or in proper field conditions. the JD certainly has the edge. With the weight and larger tires.

But thats a perfect example about not so good conditions. You are probably right that you wouldnt have been stuck if you were pulling the batwing with the kubota from the start.

Gotta ask though......if you had the nice new kubota, why were you using the old iron for mowing?

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #72  
Dont know how you have the two tractors configured ballast wise......but bare tractor JD2555 = 6200# and Kubota = 4800#.

In dry conditions, or in proper field conditions. the JD certainly has the edge. With the weight and larger tires.

But thats a perfect example about not so good conditions. You are probably right that you wouldnt have been stuck if you were pulling the batwing with the kubota from the start.

Gotta ask though......if you had the nice new kubota, why were you using the old iron for mowing?

I bought the Rhino batwing and a Bushhog 8 foot twin spindle and other stuff with the Kubota and the 8 footer was hooked up to the tractor, so I never actually hooked up the batwing. They delivered the batwing and I hauled the tractor and other stuff home. I realized that the Kubota didn't have enough remotes to pull the batwing, and the local dealers want $1800 to install them. So I hooked the batwing to the JD2555 and did the pond edges while the dear Wife mowed the open field with the Kubota. Using two tractors cut my mowing time considerably!!!
I bought the wider mower (have a 6 footer) so I could mow closer to the pond edge, so I would quit getting near it and getting stuck. The batwing did a pretty good job of that, right up to that last corner where I thought I could get just a little closer. You know the rest of the story, lol.
David from jax

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #73  
I think I will chime in and add some more confusion.
I got my 1989 JD2555 stuck in the edge of the pond up at the church. I was pulling a 15 foot batwing mower. I hooked my newer tractor up to both of them and tried to pull it out. It is a 2013 Kubota M7040. It is rated at 3 or so horsepower less than the JD. It it 4wd, while the JD is 2wd. The Kubota would not pull the pair of them out, with both in gear. So I unhooked the mower and pulled the JD2555 out. Then I hooked a large strap I have to the rear of both tractors and ran it through a clevis on the front of the mower. With both tractors pulling, the strap started slipping towards the JD2555 side, meaning it was out pulling the Kubota, even with the Kubota in 4wd. The JD2555 is considerable heavier than the Kubota by several thousand pounds, so I think that had a lot to do with it pulling better than the Kubota. However, had I originally been pulling the batwing with the Kubota, I would probably not gotten stuck, because the front wheel drive would have allowed the front end to be steered away from the pond.
David from jax

I had to eat crow once too but it was with my JD 4020 2wd and I had the problem you mention doing the same thing you mentioned, only with an 8' and also feel that 4wd would have pulled my front end up the sloping embankment....the crow is that I had to call my neighbor to come over and pull me out with his JD 730.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #74  
I remember Dad back in the day feeding our cattle in the wet and muck. Used only 2WD tractors and never got stuck. Everything is relative.

I remember my grandfather burying that same D17 spring plowing up to the axles. Hit a wet spot in the bottoms.

I am an equal opportunity guy. I can get both 4WD and 2WD stuck.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #75  
Never had a 2WD - but brother could I get that little Ford 1700 4WD buried. My neighbor would just hang his head when he would see me coming.

Not even once with the new Kubota - perhaps I learned a lesson with the little Ford. I just keep my distance from my moat area until about this time of year and on until spring.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #76  
Yep.

The theme of this thread was 35hp 4wd vs 50 hp 2wd.

And in general, tractors of similar.design, and "proper" field conditions the 50hp is gonna pull circles around the 35hp.

The the problem is....is this gonna be a field tractor? Or general utility?

For a field tractor, pulling a disc, chisel, drill, ripper, haying, etc.....give me the 50.

For utility work, especially with a loader....throw in some hills and slick (muddy or snowy) conditions....the 4wd smaller machine is more useful.

But that's just a generalization. Too many variables and the lines can even become blurred.

Some 35hp 4wd tractors are physically bigger and heavier than some 50hp 2wd machines.

A 37hp Ford 3230 is 5300#
A 50+ hp Kubota MX in 2wd is 3500#

If we have learned one thing from all these discussions and comparisons here on TBN....it's that things are far from black and white. Lots of overlap in horsepower and weight classes.

Good post.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #77  
I'd take a 50 HP 2wd over a 35 HP 4x4 for field work any day, only time I've needed 4x4 in the field are times I shouldn't have been in it to start with, don't need 4x4 to hay either.

Loader work....4x4 all the way. Did the 2wd loader for years, still have it, got the job done, but you had to be careful where you went and where your front wheels are at all times.

Here's something for thought, compare older model same series and less power. Be a little more interesting there...

Case IH 385 4x4 versus Case IH 585 2wd

Ford 3430 4x4 versus Ford 4630 2wd.