35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #51  
I am trying to understand how you determine more pulling power by the feel? When you clearly state the 4 wheel drive pulled faster unless the gearing was different .
Time for you to reread my post...

I never said "pulling power by feel"

And I CLEARLY stated when and why the MFWD tractor pulled faster...

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #52  
WE HAVE A WINNER! Weight distribution is the right answer!

We have a few PROLIFIC posters here that seem to THINK they know EVERYTHING and I wondered if they would figure it out, but nope they missed this one...

Many years ago, an old tractor dealer told me the 2wd would pull more, so I wanted to try it myself to see it happen...

Two identical tractors, both full of fuel ect... In a pasture we hooked up an over size off set deere disk (for the size tractor hp) and pulled it.

NO question the 2wd pulled it faster but it did spin a lot. The MFWD tractor went a little faster with the fronts engaged but only because it was spinning less. You could feel that the 2wd was better balanced...

There was a noticeable difference in the 2wd's "pulling power" in the sod but less and less as the ground got loose.....AND that's not hogwash!

SR

Just so we are clear and on the same page.....

Mx4800 4wd but left in 2wd vs a mx4800 2wd
Deere 5055e 4wd but left in 2wd vs a 5055e 2wd
Old iron. Jd2355 4wd (left in 2wd) vs 2355 2wd
Oliver 2255 4wd left in 2wd vs a 2255 2wd

I could go on with many many more examples of tractor models that are offered in both 2wd and 4wd...but it's pointless.

You are saying that the 2wd version of the same tractor will out pull the 4wd version but lift in 2wd.....

Yes, I say hogwash. What were the tractors I. Your example pulling the disc?

The small difference in weight distribution has nothing to do with it
All these models I mention plus many more....have the same weight over the drive tires.

The 4wd just have a little more weight up front but that don't change the weight over the rears. Just a percentage, which is irrelevant.

Next I suppose you are going to tell us that suitcase weights on the front of a 2wd makes the tractor "feel" less balanced and pulls less too.:confused2:

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #53  
I guess I could come down to your level of arguing about everything and help you run your post count up, as you've proven time and time again that you "think" you just can't be wrong!

But today, I'm choosing to walk away and let you wallow in your ignorance "on this subject"... lol

I tried it for myself, I don't have to argue about it.

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #54  
I still think in ideal conditions the hook point is the biggest variable assuming the weight of the machines and tires is similar. Can we all agree that in less than ideal conditions the 4wd wins big time?

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #55  
An you think you are the only one who has ever tested two identical models, one 4wd one not?

I don't care to speculate about what you think your test proves to anyone, or what other variables there were, like tire condition, tire type, hitch height, etc.

Your one example, on your opinion of how things pulled, must certainly be right, and in thousands of other cases/models/tractors yours must certainly mean that everyone else will have the same result right?

And what does post count have to do with anything here. You think that's all I do is start an argument to inflate a post count:laughing: I'm here to help others, ask for help when needed, and partake in conversation with other knowledgeable folks. You don't like me, and have a grudge. Thats fine. But my experience, data, and facts differ from yours.

You have yet to offer a valid reason why you think a 2wd will.pull harder than a 4wd that has the front disconnected. That's all I am asking for. Yet here we are, sever posts later and best you come up with is weight distribution.

A 10000# tractor that is 70/30 and 2wd will have 7000# on the rears.

The same model but in 4wd might weigh 11000#, but yep.....still has the same 7000# on the rear. Sure, that word out to about a 64/36 distribution, but weight over the pulling tires is the same. The 4wd has larger (easier rolling) fronts.

So I simply don't understand your logic.

Don't confuse what you "think" is my ignorance with knowledge.

Same principal.....but what about trucks? I suppose a 2wd pickup is gonna generate more drawbar pull than the exact same truck in 4wd version (but left it 2wd) also....simply because of weight distribution.....even though the total weight over the tires doing the work is the exact same?

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #56  
Can we all agree that in less than ideal conditions the 4wd wins big time?
Absolutely, just as I stated in my original post...

As conditions worsen, MFWD becomes more and more important.

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #57  
WE HAVE A WINNER!
NO question the 2wd pulled it faster but it did spin a lot. The MFWD tractor went a little faster with the fronts engaged but only because it was spinning less. You could feel that the 2wd was better balanced...

There was a noticeable difference in the 2wd's "pulling power" in the sod but less and less as the ground got loose.....AND that's not hogwash!

SR

Ok so then explain it to me??
Simply put the only thing I take away from this is that the 2 wheel drive pulled it fast but overall threw all conditions the 4 wheel drive pulled it faster.(Note: Tires spinning more on the 2 wheel drive would mean the 4 wheel drive was in fact pulling better with less spin)

Now if I am misunderstanding something your tying to say please explain because I really want to understand what it is I am missing

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #58  
Simply put the only thing I take away from this is that the 2 wheel drive pulled it fast but overall threw all conditions the 4 wheel drive pulled it faster.(Note: Tires spinning more on the 2 wheel drive would mean the 4 wheel drive was in fact pulling better with less spin)

Now if I am misunderstanding something your tying to say please explain because I really want to understand what it is I am missing

In his earlier post, he said that a 4wd tractor (but left in 2wd) won't pull as well as a 2wd only.

Then in his example, he is comparing a 4wd pulling with all 4, vs a 2wd. But doesn't say much about the 4wd being left in 2wd. Only thin I can I get is when he said the 2wd pulled it faster but the the 4wd was faster with the fronts engaged. Because the 2wd spun alot.

Sounds to me like it's not a good test, as they ALL pulled it. How fast they pull is not a measure of pull force. Rather how much power the machine has. Perhaps the 2wd was a little more peppy? Maybe the 4wd had a little more frictional loss? Maybe the hitch heights weren't exactly the same? Maybe the 2wd had a little better tires?

Who knows?

In real world, it should be negligible

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #59  

A tractor has max pulling power at about 10% slippage... As the slippage go up, the tractor slows down, (ground speed) even though the wheels may be turning at the same speed they were at 10%.

In my example, the wheels were turning at the same speed, but the 2wd tractor had a slightly faster ground speed, I explained it as "it was pulling more". I probably should have said, "it had a faster ground speed".

As the tractors got into loose ground, of course things changed, and the MFWD tractor had a faster ground speed.

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #60  
Glad you are answering everyone's questions but mine.

Here I though maybe I was overlooking something obvious and would have an opportunity to gain some more knowledge.