3720 broken draft links

/ 3720 broken draft links #11  
How did that turn out with the draft link bend? I just bent one while backing into a pile of loose dirt with my 30" dirt scoop that I made with my FEL just for hauling. I have a 3720 with 60 hours on it and only backed into the pile about 10 times before I bent it. The dealer said no warranty but supposedly he'll go to bat for me, but I doubt he'll try that hard.

/ 3720 broken draft links #12  
Look at it this way, the lower links are acting like a relief valve. It would be much worse if the transmission housing broke.

Just last nite I saw a tractor locally on Craigslist which had the brackets on the rear axel houseing snapped off by a kid backing into a tree (?) with the 3 point. Needless to say....the price of the tractor was reduced BIG TIME by this.

As said, I'd rather break linkage......and use care when backing up with 3 point stuff.

/ 3720 broken draft links #13  
I run a Woods HC60, not big, about 540# and back it up over banks etc. with no problems but I am very careful also.
Remember the capacity of hitches is rated within a specific distance of their mountings. Run an implement 5 or 6 feet behind that and you create some real stresses.
Also I thing some of the tractors today, especially the diesels have a lot of torque that the older tractors didn't have, pound for pound.

Rob

/ 3720 broken draft links #14  
I am on my 3 rd set, they are CAST , I am going to build some real ones, tired of them cracking at the same place. Any concern I should be aware of??? Seems to always break , snap right at the lift bolt hole.
Tractor supply has weld on ends 19.00 each, and some 3/4" plate and off I go.

If I am making a mistake let me know please.

They are 280.00 each now.
Richard

/ 3720 broken draft links #15  
:welcome: to kellnrich

What are you doing with your tractor to break the draft links? I'd sure like to avoid breaking mine if at all possible.
Will be interested in how the 3/4 plate holds up for you.

/ 3720 broken draft links #16  
I am on my 3 rd set, they are CAST , I am going to build some real ones, tired of them cracking at the same place. Any concern I should be aware of??? Seems to always break , snap right at the lift bolt hole.

Richard

Well, you won't break a draft link if you build them with 3/4! However, your next break may be the final drive housing. I hope not.

/ 3720 broken draft links #17  
I think you're likely to create a bigger problem for yourself than a good solution...

Look for the "downstream" component that's likely to fail if your "hulked up" draft link is beyond design limits.

3pt rockshaft lift arms... or the shaft?

Could be very, very ugly!

AKfish

Better to review just exactly what jobs/projects you're doing and adjust those.

/ 3720 broken draft links #18  
Hmmm, as far as the question you asked the sales droid;
Are "3720" actually SOLD as driveway ornaments ?
If so you offered him an "out" (-:

For "abuse" - - Yes, I think I could abuse almost any Cat 1 or Cat 2 tractor with a TR3 rake.
Just run it back FAST into a sufficiently big root, SOMETHINGS gotta give, (x 3 to complete the song's chorus line)

Dunno if the TR3 would buckle worse then a driveway ornament type "tractor" or not.
My neck would probably hurt.

/ 3720 broken draft links #19  
When I bought my 4520 I ordered the telescopic link arms for $330 approximately. Since the tractor came with the standard link arms that means I have these left over for spares. Just something to consider for new buyers.

I backup frequently with a large landplane grader and Gannon box blade but you have to be careful and realize that someday you may break one I much prefer to pull implements but sometimes you don't have a choice, so go slowly and carefully.

/ 3720 broken draft links #20  

Richard

"Cast" ?

b, b, bbb, but these are simple balance beams with the tractor at one end and the implement's mass at the other end with the lift point being a HOLE in the middle(approx).

How the heck can they be CAST ?
Ya don't depend on CAST for levers or anything else where there will be a bending moment.

Is there any stress relief around the hole in the middle, e.g. welded in bosses ?, or is it just punched (broached ?).
Somebody check me on this, but isn't that hole AT just about the point of maximum stress ?
I have to believe there is an after market replacement for these if the OEM parts are THAT bad.