3720 Vertical Exhaust??

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #11  
The noise is not noticeable between them. IMHO, the biggest advantages of the vertical exhaust is 1. Don't get soot on the FEL/tractor with vertical exhaust. 2. Exhaust fumes are much worse when working on the ground near the front of the tractor or FEL with horizontal exhaust. 3. It just looks cool! The exhaust fumes are not bad when vertical. The exhaust can be directed to the side or front.

The biggest negatives for vertical exhaust is the cost and having to remove the pipe to lift hood.

Sunnyside, I changed over to the vertical exhaust on my 3520/cab tractor for a couple of reasons. I didn't like the exhaust in my face with the horizontal exhaust when I was getting anything out of the bucket by hand. Another reason was when mowing or working on dry dirt or a dry stone road in dry conditions the horizontal would stir up a lot of dust and debris. Not a problem for my lungs with the cab tractor,but that extra dust is being sucked into the tractor's air cleaner and cab filter.
The horizontal also made the tall grass move next to where it exited and gave me the illusion when caught out of my peripheral vision that something was being hit with the front tire causing it to move. Something was moving where it wasn't supposed to be moving. I didn't like that feeling.

All in all I'm satisfied with changing over to the vertical exhaust. The cons to it are cost, having to remove it to lift the hood and I just had mine get stuck on because of some rust. The install takes less than half an hour.

I agree with both radman1 and dirtworksequip
I installed one on my 3520 Cab because I did not like all the soot that ended up on the loader arms and then on my shirts. By the way, the top on the exhaust is bent at a 90 degree angle so there in no rain going down the pipe.

I would do it again. Very satisfied with it.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #12  
Hi Sunnyside:

I have a 3320 with the standard exhaust. Previously I had a factory vertical exhaust on a Ford NH, and while working in the woods broke it off on a tree limb. I agree with ClemBert. Looks are not important to me and for working around trees I much prefer not to have the pipe exposed. If I were working fields I might change my mind.

Steve

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #13  
Can anyone post a photo of a 3000-twenty series tractor with the vertical exhaust installed? Interested to see what it actually looks like.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #14  
I have it on my Cab tractor..... and I won't ever go back to the ground exhaust ever again. Like said above.... it takes only one wiggle and pull to take it off to open your hood... And I too don't like the soot on the loader arms and tire rims etc.... As far as noise difference, well... I don't think it would be much different at all... but then again... I'm in a nice quiet cab....

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #15  
jcote, here's a couple of pics of my 3520 with vertical exhaust.

Below pic: 3520 vertical exhaust.
P1010793.jpg

Below pic:vertical exhaust removal
P1010946.jpg

Sincerely, Dirt

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #16  
All the points (advantages) I was going to bring up were all mentioned. We put them in both our 3520s and would never go back. Our Front mount blowers would be black by the end of the 12-hour run from the soot.

I love the look of the vertical, and like you guys said just a wiggle and it's out if you need to lift the hood.

However, just a tip: If ever you're floating the machine I think it's recommended to turn the exhaust sideways (or reversed) and not forward. Depending how fast you're floating the unit, the wind could spin the turbo in the opposite direction and potentially cause damage to it. Not sure if this is 100% true but I would not take a chance on my machine.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #18  
What is Floating ??:confused::confused:

I'm guessing "floating = towing." Now we need someone to make an exhaust pipe rotator along the same lines as a snowblower chute rotator. :rolleyes:

As for me I can live with soot on the loader from the ground level exhaust. As for exhaust blowing on me while hand shoveling junk out of a bucket, I put it in idle for a few shovels of stuff and shut it off if I have a lot to hand shovel.

One could always put a bucket over a vertical exhaust without a raincap. I see that a lot around here.

I have enough fun wearing bifocals, so I don't need a vertical exhaust in my direct field of vision. Yes, I know, I have two front posts for my canopy; but they are similar in my field of vision as a car's "A" pillar.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #19  
I switched to the vertical kit on my open station 4720, mainly because the fumes that would come my way if I was working into a headwind were nauseating, and hot. It didn't change the noise one bit (most seems to come from under the hood, not the pipe). The install took 30 minutes (and I'm no mechanic), and the pipe takes, oh, 4 seconds to remove to lift the hood. It can be pointed forward, left, right, or back in 90deg intervals. I think it cost ~220 CDN.

Oh, aaaaaanddd, don't tell anyone but I like the way it looks too......

-J.

/ 3720 Vertical Exhaust?? #20  
I switched to the vertical kit on my open station 4720, mainly because the fumes that would come my way if I was working into a headwind were nauseating, and hot. It didn't change the noise one bit (most seems to come from under the hood, not the pipe). The install took 30 minutes (and I'm no mechanic), and the pipe takes, oh, 4 seconds to remove to lift the hood. It can be pointed forward, left, right, or back in 90deg intervals. I think it cost ~220 CDN.

Oh, aaaaaanddd, don't tell anyone but I like the way it looks too......

-J.

So how did it do in getting rid of you breathing the fumes?, and which way do you have the tip pointed to get the least amount or no fumes? I have the VE kit waiting at the dealer for me to pick it up when I have a free moment and I'm debating whether to install it or not. My biggest issue is breathing the fumes, the noise or visibility aren't a problem to me.