3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder
Re: 3PH \"Cradle\" for Chipper/Shredder

Mith,

Good thought. I'd have to do some measuring but, I really think I need it attached, at least, via 3 points or it would be doing an awful lot of swinging while moving it. My 1st thought was two lower, and one top lift pin as normal. The dampening would, again, be an issue unless I could figure that out. I think it would have to be incorporated in the attachment of the 3P lift bracket, to the chipper/shredder. I don't know of any pins that would take a thick enough rubber and still fit the I-Match. Hmm

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #12  

Perhaps some engine mounts from a car? I think the engines tend to sit on heavy rubber mounts which are bolted through. You would not need to tighten it down as much as they would on a car, so the dampening would be better. If you bolted the chipper through to a base (with a hole where the discharge is) then bolted the base to a carryall, I think you might have what you want. Just a thought.

Cliff

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #13  

another thought, im on a roll here, maybe have it on a 2" reciever hitch so itll slot into something like pats eZmover hitch
again it may swing around a bit
possibly make a hitch with 2 of the reciever bits one above the other, have two poles out of the shredder that slide into the recievers, pin them in and your off
as for dampening, maybe if you built a small frame around the shredder with as was suggested car dampeners inbetween it and the main shredder then you can do what you like on the outside of that outside frame

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #14  

Here's the drawbar a friend made for me after I bought the drawbar and bars to to the upper link.

I'll get to how to connect it to your shredder in the next picture.

The drawbar for now. Notice the top set of holes. The top link is connected 15" up from the drawbar, which is iMatch spec (where it would hook: e.g. if you wanted iMatch, you'd attach the top link to the top hole).

Ralph

Attachments

• 577188-JD DRAWBAR small.jpg
    577188-JD DRAWBAR small.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 214
   / 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #15  

Here's a picture of my soil ripper attached to the drawbar.

Another top link goes back to a bar attached to the soil ripper. The main part of the soil ripper attaches to the drawbar with a couple "U" hitches.

What you could do on your chipper is weld on a couple "U" brackets down low on the shredder that'll straddle the drawbar. Then weld an attachment (or just bolt a U bracket of some sort to it) a little higher to attach another top link. You might want to explore the 2 shorter Cat 0 links if the standard 19-29" Cat 1 link is too long.

This drawbar and double top link setup allows a lot of leeway when it comes to transport. You can tighten both of them and get the tool up high enough to clear places where the rear wheels dip.
Ralph

Attachments

• 577196-Soil Ripper 1 small.jpg
    577196-Soil Ripper 1 small.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 234

Cliff - "Motor Mounts"...geez, I am getting oldtimer's. I kept seeing heavy rubber mounts in my head but, I couldn't place them. Too long since I've torn apart a '57 Chevy, or '66 Plymouth! Not sure of the rig yet but the motor mounts are what I was trying to think of.

Mith - Not sure of the frame to use yet but, after looking at the I-Match today, the "arm" to pick up whatever I weld or bolt to the Bolens (probably a rectangular receiver with motor mounts lining it???) was staring me in the face (I think). I have a 60" RB sitting on the I-Match now. I haven't tried unbolting the RB from the arm (I'm sure there's a name for it) that carries it but if it can drag that blade, it's got to pick up the Bolens without blinking. I'd have to mount the receiver along the front of the "C/H" (chipper/shredder) and carry it sideways, or weld the receiver straight out from the front so not to interfere with the motor and controls on the back, the chipper chute and access to the "knife" on the right side and, drive and belts on the left side. I definitely need to borrow my daughter's digital cam..

Ralph - Great pic's, good looking rig, and I like the color /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If the wild hair I got today doesn't pan out, a rig like yours might be the best way to go...no dropping my RB off it's mount and the rig is obviously versitile for carrying more than just one implement. Hadn't had the wildest thought of a second toplink. Great idea!

Sorry I haven't had time to take pic's or think on this more...long day and my LAN is giving me fits...on top of which my daughter's connection had severe network hiccups and we had to get that up so she could chat with her heart-throb who should be on his way back in a few more days (Thank God)...he's been driving Hummers and Tanks and they just had some elections over there.... It will probably be this weekend before I can get any pic's on. Thanks all... Tom

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #17  

this is what i was trying to explian. the two bars from the pallet forks in this case will be on the chipper and they will fit into the reciever

Last edited:

Mith,

"Light (now) dawns on marblehead".... your picture is worth 1K words, or in my case 2^10 or more. Ralph's rig looks really great but your picture shows something a bit more toward what I have been leaning toward. Forks may still be able to stay on the lift, rather than the "C/S"...not sure. I will do my best to get the C/S and tractor out in the sun for some pic.'s this weekend. After looking at yours and Ralph's pic's, I'm leaning more toward an I-Match compatible lift/hitch that I could use for more than this one application.

I'm beginning to think I should have spent my time in Shop, and Mech. Eng.'ing, instead of Elect. Eng.'ing playing with bits and bytes. Tractors and implements are much more fun (I mean useful /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) and much less victims of intermittents and software issues.

Tom

/ 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #19  

I transport my 10 HP chipper/shredder on my carryall (picture attached). When I get to the worksite I just leave it on the carryall while I use it. The carryall serves as a good work platform.

John

Attachments

• 579664-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    579664-Carryall with chipper.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 200
   / 3PH "Cradle" for Chipper/Shredder #20  

My drawbar design was done to be able to work on a iMatch. All you'd do is put the iMatch on the 3 pt and then use it to lift the drawbar. The ASAE specs are 26" apart at the bottom and 15" C-C up to the top link. That's the way mine is built. The additional top link that goes back to the tool is 3 or 4 inches higher.

Ralph