Backhoe 3pt Backhoe

/ 3pt Backhoe #1  

Russ_Coon

I own a Kubota L3600 tractor that is six years old. I love my Kubota. I operate a tree farm and grow Colorado Blue Spruce trees. The trees are 4-6 feet tall and I am considering purchasing a backhoe for the L3600, to dig out the trees. I need to scoop out the trees with about a 16"x16"x16" ball.
I've looked at Woods,Land Pride and the Kubota BL4690B. I would also use the backhoe for digging small ditchs to direct surface waters and to loosen up soil for filling in the doles made from digging. Is the 3pt BL4690B for me? It seems like a backhoe with a frame mounted housing might be better and safer? Any help would be appreciated...spring harvest is right around the corner. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 3pt Backhoe #2  
Welcome to TBN.

While I cannot comment specifically on the L3600, for my B7800 I have a Woods 7500 backhoe on a subframe. It is solid and goes one and off more easily than a 3PH implement. The only downside I see is that the subframe takes up a lot of space when not mounted on the tractor.

/ 3pt Backhoe #3  
I have a BL4690 on my B2910 and I would have to say that I think a Sub frame or 4-point Kubota hoe is better.

The problem I have is the bushing in the arm that hooks to the top link bracket, using a hardened pin, gets beat up, probably due to some looseness being needed to get the pin in when mounting the hoe. So this can give the feeling of a bit of looseness sometimes when using the hoe. Minor issue I know, but something I don't like.

I would prefer some kind of 4 point mount and if I were doing it again, I would choose a Non-kubota subframe hoe over the Kubota 3PH hoe.

Not that the 3PH hoe doesn't work well, it does. Just does not seem the most solid setup. Perhaps a little more difficult to hook up than other types, but I don't find that to be an issue and I don't mind putting my 3PH hoe on and off a couple times in a day if I need to...

One advantage of the 3PH hoe is that it does not take any ground clearance away. It also allows the use of a MMM without problem (don't think this is a concen for you).

/ 3pt Backhoe #4  
Hi Russ,

Out of curiousity are you growing Xmas trees, or are you nursery operation? Either way, have you considered a tree spade instead of a backhoe?

And welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Edit: I just reread your post and spring harvest finally sunk in. I guess you aren't growing Xmas trees after all. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ 3pt Backhoe #5  
Russ,
I have the BL4672 3pt BH on my B7500 (slightly smaller). I agree with what everyone said above. Mine does seem a little sloppy because it does bounce on that top link. However, I still believe that it is very safe and works well with my tractor. I have used it a lot and it works very nicely. Personally I like the separate PTO pump, so I'm not messing with hoses. They do take a while to learn how to take on and off. I drop mine several times a year and it take me less than 5 minutes to drop and anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to reinstall (depending on how square I line up the tractor when installing).

There has been reference to a lot of safety issues regarding 3pt Backhoes. The reality is that these are aftermarket BH that are not installed correctly or have been abused that have caused the accidents. I feel very safe on my Kubota designed BH on my Kubota tractor. That said... I am using mine for home use, not commercial. If I were looking commercial, I would definitely be looking at the BH75 or BH90. I just saw a BH75 this week and they look like incredible machines and maybe a little better suited to a commercial application.

I have used mine for a lot of landscaping work and have dug up and moved several small trees and shrubs. Now.... granted I am not a professional, but when I dig up a tree with my BH, its life is in jeopardy /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Because you can't get directly over it, you have to dig at an angle and sometimes this does some damage to the tree. If I were doing it commercially, I think I'd be looking an easier method. By the time you back up to a tree, drop the stabilizers, dig it up, raise the stabilizers, turn around and load it into the FEL, you have spent a lot of time. I do believe there are a few "dig and go" tools, like a tree spade out there. (Not trying to talk you out of a BH.... they are great for a lot of other uses)

Just my .02 cents,

Greg

/ 3pt Backhoe #6  
Ive got a BL4690B and Im in agreement with everything Greg said.
3PH BHs arent dangerous unless you use them incorrectly. Any of the newer ones out there have safety devices that if installed, wont allow the BH to come up.
As far as 3PH or subframe mount. I chose 3PH because I would be using other 3PH attachments as well and I didnt want to be removing and replacing the 3PH arms everytime. I also wanted to use a seperate hydraulic pump. Im also not concerned about breaking my tractor in half because my Grand L with loader comes with a subframe that connects the loader frame solidly to the rear axle housing just like the subframe mounted BHs do.
In retrospect, I shouldve got a subframe mounted BH because Im not switching implements as often as I thought I would, not that the 3PH hoe hasnt done a wonderful job.
Your in the business so you probably know better than I but using a BH to remove trees and root balls seems like alot of work and not the best way to do that. I would think a root ball spade would be the way to go there. Digging them out with a BH would require you to move the tractor several times per tree and you would have a tough time getting a nice round ball from that. If you are set on using a BH to remove them, think about getting a small mini trackhoe. Much easier to move when you need to.

/ 3pt Backhoe #7  
Another BL4690 backhoe owner. Not to hijack the thread, but perhaps any answers to my post might prove to be useful to the original poster.

I'm running the the 'hoe on a B2910. One thing I have noticed, as mentioned by others, is that there is some slop or play in the hook up. When I am digging and encounter a nearly immovable object (tree root, large rock, big piece of asphalt) and attempt to dig it up with the 'hoe, I'll often encounter noises from various parts of the 'hoe mounting or subframe I'd guess, as stress is put on the 'hoe. I want to say a creaking noise, although it is often almost a popping sound, as various parts shift to accomodate the stress.

My question is, is this normal and is it something other owners are experiencing ?

My hoe has done this from day one and I have used it alot. I do try to be somewhat careful to not overstress it. My concern is not with the backhoe/loader subframe or the reinforced, heavy-duty top link - it's with the rear casting on the back of the tractor. There was another post where someone broke off the entire top of the rear end ........ dunno if that was using a 'hoe, or logging winch or what .......... but it's not something I'd care to experience. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 3pt Backhoe #8  
I hear the same popping and creeking and feel some looseness with my BL4690.
Breaking the top link bracket off the tractor is also my only concern about using the hoe. I figure that my 3130 has alot more mass built into that area than a 2910 or 7800 and the BL4690 is actually a little undersized for my 3130 so barring any manufacturing defects I should be fine. If I had a B tractor I think I would be more concerned than I am.

/ 3pt Backhoe #9  
I'd enourage you to think about soil type and how that type soil adheres to the root system of the species ot tree you're digging. It's possible that you might lose all the soil and have the tree die if these 2 things aren't right. If so, the tree scoop mentioned by others might be something to think about because you wouldn't have these problems.

/ 3pt Backhoe #10  
Ray,

Thanks for reply - good to know it's not abnormal ..... at least I think it's good to know that ..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I suspect you are correct that the 3130 is alot beefier in the hindquarters than the 2910. I'd probably be smart to stick to straight dirt digging with the 2910, as opposed to the trying to rip through roots and tear up asphalt and concrete .... but where's the fun in that ? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif