3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430)

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #11  
Also, we have to remember that these adapters are designed for skid steers, which have higher pressure and gpm than Power Tracs. Therefore, whatever you buy/design/build, you have to have it spin at 540rpm. You won't get those RPMs out of a motor designed to work with skid steer hydraulics.

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #13  
Yep. Trying to find a correctly sized motor with a standard PTO spline will be the hardest part. There are lots of motors out there, but the ones I saw are expecting higher flow and higher PSI like a skid steer produces.

That's why I'd opt for putting a motor directly on each piece of 3pt equipment I'd want to convert to hydraulic and skip the whole 3pt adapter all together.

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430)
Great points all, especially MR. More homework is in my future on this endeavour. I'll keep you posted...

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #16  
4.95 CU IN PTO DRIVE MOTOR

I would figure a simple way to mount this onto the blower and go for it.

You could do that, however you'd need some way to couple that shaft to the shaft on the blower. They make male-male splined adapters. You'd have to pin it to the shaft somehow. I'd suggest putting a shear pin in that location would work fine. All you'd have to do is make sure the PTO shaft on the implement is the same size as the PTO shaft on that PTO drive motor, otherwise you'd be adapting sizes of shafts.

On that note...
When you use a driveshaft on a 3pt implement on a conventional tractor, the driveshaft has angles (that's why they have U-joints at each end of the shaft). Those angles rob horsepower. The greater the angle, the greater the HP loss. And the greater the angle, the less time the U-joints will last, too. By hooking a hydraulic motor straight in-line with the shaft of a 3pt snow blower, you'd eliminate that loss of HP, and every HP you can transfer to the blower the better. :thumbsup:

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #17  
So lemme ask a stupid question here, and it relates to HP vs Torque. In a car, HP tends to equate to speed, and Torque tends to relate to grunt.

Even though the Hydraulic circuit is 17.5 HP (and lets say you need 20HP) wouldn't the fact that Torques is so much higher in a Hydraulic circuit (I assume it is) that it would not be a bad thing?

Actual RPM is related to speed in your analogy. Horsepower is speed times torque. Torque in a hydraulic circuit is not higher. The torque is set by the pump displacement. The higher the pump displacement, the more torque and the lower the speed. This assumes flow rates are the same. I hope this is clear. This is a simplification.

Hi all, I'm still poking at this challenge...

Assuming I have the correct hydraulic motor (to spin at 540 rpms) for my PT's 12gpm @ 2500psi, it seems to me that I will have to run the PT at full throttle to attain the 12gpm and hence the 540rpm...? I.e.: if the blower is designed for and expects 540 rpms for optimum performance, then I would have to give the adapter as close to 12gpms as possible, which would mean running PT at full throttle?

So far (and that is not many hours), I've only felt I needed to throttle at most 2/3rds of the way... (That was when using the rototiller, to achieve the spin speed I felt was adequate to the task...)

I found a used blower that is about 475lbs, so with an adapter at 425lbs, I might be OK with a 1200# lift capacity (at the QA)...

Thank-you in advance for the clarification,

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #19  
I'm fairly convinced that you should run these things at full throttle for several reasons.

Air cooling, oil cooling, and best possible control over direction of travel, just to name a few.

For a gas engine, I agree. For a diesel, I'm not sure... I'll check my owner's manual to see if they mention anything about it.

Ciao,