3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430)

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #21  
For most (all?) air cooled gasoline engines, the fuel helps with the cooling. Running at less than WOT has less fuel in the fuel / air ratio, and may cause overheating issues. Larger air cooled engines (VW & Porche come to mind) have enough cooling to operate at less than WOT. Small engines seem not to be designed for running at anything other than WOT.

For diesels, they are always being run in fuel limited mode, so it should not make much of a difference where the throttle is set. (It is part of why diesels are more fuel efficient.) FWIW: there's no comment in the Deutz manual about throttle setting other than not lugging the engine, as far as I can recall.

But, given the engine temperatures that the Deutz in my PT gets to on WOT on a hot day, e.g. mowing, I think that the engine compartment could use more forced air cooling... Just my $0.02, and I'm not an engineer.

All the best,
Peter

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #22  
For a gas engine, I agree. For a diesel, I'm not sure... I'll check my owner's manual to see if they mention anything about it.

Ciao,

My IH2500b was a 50pto hp 4 cylinder gas engine (it could be had with diesel, too) with an HST tranny. The operator's manual specifically said to run it (both gas and diesel engines) at PTO speed for best power, braking and hydraulic performance. Remember, the Power Trac has no brakes. None. It stops when you let off the pedal. More engine RPMs will actually stop you better. While higher RPMS will pump more fluid through the system, which will build up heat just from the pressure, it will also force more fluid through the cooler, maintaining a more even temperature. The unit will also steer easier at higher RPMs, causing less operator fatigue. That's my understanding of it. You'll have better control over the machine with higher engine RPMS, too.

The deutz is oil cooled. You could be cooking it by doing work at lower RPMS by not moving more oil through the oil cooler as well. Sounds counter-intuitive. Who knows? :confused3:

/ 3pt. hitch snowblower selection (PT-1430) #23  
My PT hates to be run much less than 1400 rpm just sitting, but can often get away with 1250. Any "hydraulic" tractor (which includes one with a hydrostatic transmission) need to be run at higher RPM's than a geared tractor. At least that has been my experience.

Ken