Rotary Cutter 4 foot rotary cutter opinions

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Try a 5 footer on that machine. You can always shift down or take less of a bite, but a 48" will never cut more than 44". You won't cut big stuff only the first time and if it is to big hire a rig for the rough mowing. bcs )</font>

Although I'm normally a proponent of 5' cutters even on machines with less then 20 PTO HP, I think a 5' unit would be too heavy for the 2210 (or any other subcompact). The 2210 weighs (unballasted) 1300 lbs. A typical 5' cutter weighs 600 lbs minimum. That just under 50% of the tractor weight.

Powerwise, the 2210 is right at the bottom of the scale...but I used a 5' cutter behind a 16.5 PTO HP Deere 670 with no problems.

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #12  
I've an LX4 since Nov 04, bought with my 4010 then. Paid $1,000, including front chains. Only problem I've had is getting that lousy check plug out with the tiny square head on it. I replaced it with a bolt. Oil vapors seem to eminate from the breather on top the gear case. Seem to always get a light layer of oil over about half the gear box when I use it.

The blades were fairly easy to remove with a 6' pipe over a 3/4" drive on the 1 1/2" socket. Took one off with my 550 ft-lb impact wrench. Put them back with a couple clamps to hold each blade one at a time with the stump jumper.

Sheared one shear bolt so far.

Ralph

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #13  
Oh, be sure they install the lift pins on an LX4 in their lowest position. They installed mine in the upper position. This causes the top link to be longer than the lower links, which causes the lift to want to drive the tail wheel into the ground instead of lifting the unit, simple geometry. Put the pins in the lower position, and could lift it with no problem.

Ralph

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #14  
jd2210,
Here is my experience. I have a Bush Hog SQ480 and it has done an excellent job. I looked at KK but did not like it as much because the gearbox was smaller and lower HP. I have used mine to clear heavy brush and saplings and the blades are still in good shape. I have about 20 hrs. use on it. Bush Hog brand is usually more expensive than the others. I used it with a Kubota B2150, 24hp. I had to have weight on the front to keep the tractor well balanced. Looking at specs they tend to be heavier than comparable size cutters. My humble opinion.

Mark

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions
Thanks a lot gents. Yeah, I've toyed with getting a 5 footer but I'm definately afraid of the overtorquing of my PTO. Where I live, the grass is very thin and extremely easy to cut (I have yet to bog down my 84" finishing mower). But the area I'm going to brush is another matter. A Stump jumper would sure be nice. We'll see I guess.

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #16  
hey jd2210 don't know if your interested but on ebay is a lx4 cutter is still at $399 ends tomorrow looks like new.It's in Pa. around gettysburg I think. Red

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #17  
I just rechecked the blade bolts on my LX4 after taking them off, sharpening and replacing. The manual says to check them after 1 hr. They weren't as tight as I thought I'd done them when putting them back on. Think the manual says to check again after 10 hours. Will do this. Easy to do: just jack up rear end of cutter to get tail wheel off ground, remove back bolt, loosen front one, swing assembly up and prop (I use my chain I use as top link most times), throw PTO in front spot, rotate until nut shows in access hole, tighten. Think I need to get a scale of some sort to attach to near the end of my 6' bar to measure the torque. About 75 # there would be about right.

Ralph

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions
well, I've put off the brush cutter till next season. Need the coin for another important purchase. A new lawn tractor for my front yard.
I bleed green, but may be switching to a new brand for this purchase.

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #19  
I just bought a 5' KK at TSC last weekend on sale for $670 plus tax. I've got at 26HP tractor that is 5' wide hence the 5' rotary. It has 2 thick blades and a 40HP gearbox.

/ 4 foot rotary cutter opinions #20  
I picked up a 4' International cutter last year, I think I paid $650 for it. The Woods was very nice and would like to have had that, (dealer had both) but I figured I would only use it a few times a year. The Woods at the time was around $900. It is tough as nails and did a heck of a job on some trees and rocks!! I run it off a 7234 Cub, (23HP). I went with a 4' because I have lots of trees and rocks to avoid. So far it has been great.