4" Stump Removal

/ 4" Stump Removal
Re: 4\" Stump Removal

There are no sidelines for waching. Either participate or you are in the way!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now, if you want to bring your big tractor down, I'm sure I'll have plenty more come winter. I'm doing my propery 1/4 at a time and this is the 1st quarter.

As for the beer, this is a non-drinking ranch but I'll provide the Diet Coke, Mountian Dew and beef jerkey! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Finished cutting down all the trees in the first section today and only had one mishap. Tree fell like I expected but I didn't see the vine on it that wrapped onto the HUGE DEAD LIMB on the tree behind me. Need I say more? Have a good scratch on the side of my head. Someone was wathing over me on that one.

Now comes the "fun" part... cutting up and hauling out all the debris. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I pull it out with my 245 and cut up the stuff for firewood and am deciding if I am going to burn little by little the small stuff, chip it, or haul it to the dump.

Thanks for all the help

/ 4" Stump Removal #22  

I guess I could handle that, I don't drink much anyway, I am more of a Diet Coke drinker, but I could sip on a beer all day long to watch someone work. but if i have to help then I will drink the diet coke

murph

/ 4" Stump Removal #23  

murph, will the salt kill the stumps? If so, that, along with cutting at ground level with a chainsaw sounds like the cheap way to go. I have the same problem coming up.

/ 4" Stump Removal #24  

It pretty much has worked on all of the ones I put it on except for a few larger ones. I have learned to drill a few holes in them and then pour the salt on them. You can also go out and buy stump detiorating stuff also. You have to do something or a lot of them will just grow shoots out.

murph

/ 4" Stump Removal #25  

I had a 14" stump cut off about 5" above the ground. I set a salt block on it. Once the block was gone I didn't put new one out. I had a pilated woodpecker go at it for the salt I guess. He destroyed the stump in one summer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4" Stump Removal #26  

Recently, we were faced with the same dilemma. We needed 100 or so trees removed around our new house site and driveway entrance. Three quarters were pine up to 18 inches in diameter, the rest were oaks, poplar and birch up to 26 inches in diameter. I measured the larger pines and thought I could save the household some money by taking them out myself. The other species were out of the question. Past posts on this web site convinced me to hire a trackhoe ($80.00 per hour) and be done with it. The trackhoe worked for a day downing, moving stacking and sorting - the hardwoods are going to a sawmill. The trackhoe did not tear the ground up, and did in a day what would take me many weekends. The roots are gone and there were no broken tractor parts or accidents. A dozer should do the trick and should be cheaper. It was money well spent.

Attachments

• 246515-trackhoe.jpg
    246515-trackhoe.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 152
   / 4" Stump Removal #27  

oh yes, if your stump is full of carpenter ants, a pileated woodpecker will demolish a stump. If you have anything else it likes, same will hapen. They're very nice birds.

Blake
WA

/ 4" Stump Removal #28  

I do the same thing as you,but I cut my trees as close to the ground as I can,have to shapen the chain ALOT.Than I weed wack off the suckers or mow them off if I can get to them due to uneven ground.Have to go back in a couple years and saw off the stumps again.Takes about 3 years to get them under control.Weed wack the suckers off as often as you can.Don't be slack on this part.I don't dig my stumps out due to rocks.I have 90% of the rocks from Maine on my land.I've been doing this for more than 20 years.Salt will work on the stubborn ones.I use rock salt,mostly on the Poplar stumps.These will try to grow new trees 20 feet away.I try to cut a bowl in the stump and put the rock salt in that.Put the water to it to.You want the stump to suck up the salt.

/ 4" Stump Removal #29  

Here's a thread you might find worth looking at for your problem. It was about a year ago and I was somewhat smarter than I am today. pulling stumps

Last week I pulled a Hackberry that was over three feet across out by digging and pulling with a Cat 416B loader backhoe.

If you're able to work with metal or have a friend who can do it for you might consider my metal post lifting adaptor.

I've taken three quarter inch plate and cut a hole just a tad larger than the post I'm wanting to pull in piece shaped like a tear drop. The hole is cut into the large end of the tear drop. The narrow end has a large loop welded out board on it.

I slide these over the post to be pulled and lift with a tractor, jack, or whatever. With a tractor I put a chain in the loop and to the bucket. When I lift up the puller adaptor is put in a bind on the post and won't slip even on pipe.

The fit doesn't have to be exact. That's why I think your stumps being within a common size this idea might be viable. You'd probably need three or four sizes but it would speed up the work.

Another option is chain and the good old clove hitch knot. If you're not adept at the clove hitch you can do two half hitches and get the same thing.

Unless you have some really different kind of ground eight inch and below stumps are not much work for a standard construction backhoe. If you are mechanically inclined at all one day with the hoe would have all your stumps out and you'd also have the holes filled by using the front loader.

The grins would be worth the price of admission.

/ 4" Stump Removal #30  

The other thing you can do is drill holes in the stumps and fill them with Roundup (or something like it). In a year they'll be completely dead and hopefully somewhat rotted and then they won't be so bad to take out.

On the other hand, a backhoe and FEL would work just fine, too, I think. And it would be great fun /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.