Traction 4 WD Issue

/ 4 WD Issue #21  
Update from the service tech on 4WD broken drive shaft issue. They are now saying that the mower deck was interferring with the drive shaft protector cover which in turn pressed against the drive shaft and caused friction and of course heat which weakend and caused the drive shaft to fail. Why the mower deck was hitting it is not known yet.

That should have made some noise if the cover was pushed into the shaft, probably a lot of noise. I've never seen a driveshaft fail on a Max28 or it's earlier cousins the 2415/2516, and we have sold a bunch of them. I am wondering if this mower has an up-stop or something similar to keep it from hitting the shaft cover and it was not adjusted right. Or if this mower has no up-stop, if it got pushed up into the shaft by high-centering the deck somehow.

Sounds like you will be fixed soon. And about buying orange....they are good tractors, but they have a parts department and service department as well, and it isn't just for doing oil changes.

/ 4 WD Issue
That should have made some noise if the cover was pushed into the shaft, probably a lot of noise. I've never seen a driveshaft fail on a Max28 or it's earlier cousins the 2415/2516, and we have sold a bunch of them. I am wondering if this mower has an up-stop or something similar to keep it from hitting the shaft cover and it was not adjusted right. Or if this mower has no up-stop, if it got pushed up into the shaft by high-centering the deck somehow.

Sounds like you will be fixed soon. And about buying orange....they are good tractors, but they have a parts department and service department as well, and it isn't just for doing oil changes.

Did not hear any unusual noise but you are correct should have made a heck of a squeal. It does have a up stop brkt to keep it from hitting the tranny but not sure if it works for the drive cover, apparantely not.

/ 4 WD Issue #23  
Did not hear any unusual noise but you are correct should have made a heck of a squeal. It does have a up stop brkt to keep it from hitting the tranny but not sure if it works for the drive cover, apparantely not.
IIRC, there is one bracket that connects the right and left side loader supports underneath, and it can be mounted with the curve forward or the curve back. It works either way so long as there is no mower, but with a mower it needs to go the correct direction for the up-stop to work. We do not mount a lot of the MMM here at our place and I have never done one personally, but I'd guess it is something along those lines.

/ 4 WD Issue #24  
Dave, I would like to know which way is correct with a mower so I can make sure that mine is mounted correctly. Any pictures or assembly drawings available?
Thanks,
Dave

/ 4 WD Issue #25  
Dave, I would like to know which way is correct with a mower so I can make sure that mine is mounted correctly. Any pictures or assembly drawings available?
Thanks,
Dave
Dave, nothing at my fingertips. Just take a look underneath and make sure when the deck goes all the way up the up-stop is functioning properly, meaning that some other part of the deck isn't limiting the height before the up-stop makes contact. You are then good to go. I'm sure I can come up with assembly drawings, but I bet they are in your manual as well. If it isn't clear once you look and you do not have assembly info, I can help.

/ 4 WD Issue
Dave & Dave,

Well they just delivered my tractor after the repair and noted that the deck was installed properly but the up-stop brkts were either not in the correct location or were not adequate. Problem arises when you have the mower running and in the full up position. I would sugeest adjusting the hydro lift stop down a tad to make sure it does not raise too far.

The mowing deck manual that comes with the tractor does show how the deck is to be installed.

/ 4 WD Issue #27  
Curious: Is it considered 'normal' to run the mower at full up position?

/ 4 WD Issue
Curious: Is it considered 'normal' to run the mower at full up position?

I've run every mower, whether it was on a garden tractor or full size that I have owned at full up position and never had this issue before. Did notice that they added a rubber capped stop on the deck.

/ 4 WD Issue #29  
Mowin, thanks for the info. I will tell you that when I first got my tractor I started mowing around the fence line with the mower all the way up and right off smelled what I thought was the belt burning. I dropped it down a bit and it was ok after that. I will have to move the full up stop clamp down just a bit so that it does not happen while someone else is mowing. I have read the tractor manual but have not read the mower manual yet. Will do that soon! If running the mower in the full up position can actually ruin the shaft which it did to Mowins tractor then Mahindra should add a mechanical stop to the design. I will look for that rubber capped stop to see if my mower has that. If it does maybe it needs to be a bit longer. This is MUST know information for all Max owners with a mid mower.

/ 4 WD Issue #30  
Glad they got ya fixed up (and another reinforcement for not buying the mmm for me ;) )

hope the issue was a installation problem and not a design problem, one is easier to deal with than the other.