40 hp tractor, who has best product?

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #11  
I've been looking at the Massey 1500 series. Very nice ergonomically. Available with cab and everything you mentioned.

Up to 52 HP, and I think 28 on the low side. I think new product for 2005 too. Someone just did an article here on them as well - good info.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #12  
Only one answer from me, as I buy only the best (IMO /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

But maybe you should stay away from Deere, as their 3x20 series is so popular they can't make them fast enough. That doesn't help get the price down any for when I want to buy one. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #13  
Loaded question, with no "right" answer, but having pondered the same question myself I can only relate that I am partial to the Massey 1540. But, Kioti DK35 and NH TC40 look real good, too. So does the 3430.
AAUUGGHHH!
You may go nuts deciding. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #14  
How would you go about proving who has the best quality, durability, and reliability? It would still be peoples own personal opinion. I believe it would be hard to find any major tractor manufacturer that builds junk. Some are better than others in different ways. As far as price goes, look at Toyota and Honda. Corolla's, Celicas, Accords were all cheap inexpensive cars that would outlast vehicles costing 4 times more. High price does not always guarantee high quality. Just like low price does not always guarantee low quality. I don't believe any of us buy the best "quality items" everyday. I drive Fords, mow my yard with Sears and maintain 34 acres with Kioti. Good quality? I think so. Best quality? Who knows. Does what I need and fits my wallet.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( As far as price goes, look at Toyota and Honda. Corolla's, Celicas, Accords were all cheap inexpensive cars that would outlast vehicles costing 4 times more. High price does not always guarantee high quality. )</font>

Look out there. I can easily point out the fact that there is a much less expensive "alternative" make and model that competes with every single Toyota and Honda model. The fact is that they most certainly do bring a premium price for what they are.

Also, re-read the last line of my post. You are only reiterating what I said. High price does not guarantee high quality, but it generally does get your more quality than the "bargain price" brand. I mentioned no tractor brand at all. I believe you are going to upset a lot of Kioti owners because you are assuming that Kioti is thought of as being low quality. You said that, not me.

P.S., for the record, you missed. Kioti is not one I had in mind.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #16  
I never mentioned Kioti being a bargain brand. In previous posts that I have read you always talk about Kioti costing more than the tractor you currently own. This post is not an issue with Kioti at all. You made the comment about people buying strictly based on price. I'm not trying to upset anybody. I see people here posting about buying Kioti tractors, just like I would, only to see other people put them down because of there cheap price. Maybe other tractors are priced to high for the same quality? I never said Kioti is low quality, nor did I mention it at all. I personally think dollar for dollar they rank right there with any tractor made. Remember, I bought one. As far as the Toyota and Honda scenario, those cars 15 years ago could not get a premium price. They were inexpensive and cheap to maintain. They worked there way to the top. Even today, those cars will outlast any high dollar car.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #17  
Do those cars qualify for the 40 hp size?

Curious what implements can be attached?

Egon: /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #18  
<font color="blue">... 90% of the recommendations, and purchases, here are made strictly on price.... </font>
<font color="blue">I can't recall the last time I saw a thread that was really concerned about the best quality without the disclaimer "for the price" thrown in. </font>

Dargo,

Your second statement contradicts your first. Comparing the quality to a price is the definition of value. Many aspects of quality are subjective and are often not visible to casual inspection. You are, unintentionally I'm sure, insulting the intelligence and experience of those of us who purchased a <font color="blue">smaller brand</font> tractor. I think most people select their tractor based on their perception of value. I agree with you some folks buy based on price. But I suspect price based purchasers are evenly divisible in to two groups; those that paid the least possible to save money and those who paid the most to impress friends and neighbors.

Slippy,
As to the original questions "40 hp tractor, who has best product?" My answer is it depends. Besides weighing less than 6000 pounds what other criteria do you have? What jobs do you want it to do?

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #19  
Being a newer member I don't know how much I can contribute but here goes. I was sort of in the same boat as you, I have a couple larger tractors and a smaller one. I will have to say I was a little tired of trying to use 2-3 tractors to do a job because 1 was to big, 1 was to small etc.. I finally bought a NH TC40DA to bridge the gap and could not be happier. I am not gonna turn this into a NH commercial, but I can offer my experiences with it. It mows better than our TO 20 Ferguson with the extra HP and it feels more nimble and just as stable, the impact to the lawn is the same if I remove the rear weights and the bucket from the FEL. It uses the rear BB, blade, bush hog and 6' snowblower better than the AC WD45 due to the live Hyd. and hydro trans, the 4x4, power steering and creature comforts make it more precise and comfy to use for longer periods of time, and it will outwork it. The FEL is wonderful and I use it more than I thought I would. Our big gun a JD 720 will outpull it and outwork it, but it uses more fuel, is less precise since it is larger and takes more room and is harder to see things up close when you run it, it also wont tuck in the garage.

So, my TC40 has pretty much become my main tractor of choice, I yank big heavy stuff with the JD, I use the TO20 for smaller lawn tractor stuff (pulling smaller trailers, dressing the drive with a landscape rake after a BB session with the NH....two operators at the same time) and I sold the AC since the NH does everything better.

Lastly ease of use, My wife feels at ease running the NH (she never ever got near the others) leaving me to do other things while she "Works" with the NH. Oh yeah, Dealer Dealer Dealer. I bought the TC because the dealer was absolutly bend over backwards helpful with purchasing, delivery, support, maintanance etc...The Kubota dealer simply was awful, and the JD dealer left me on the lot looking for 35 minutes before anybody even came out to shake hands and start the lying. (I even arrived in my Turbo diesel and empty flatbed trailer!!!)

Since you have a big tractor allready, I would encourage you to narrow the field down to what your local dealer has to offer, shop the features etc and figure out what is important feature wise and then size up how the dealer treats you, then shoot for the best price you can with the dealer you like. A smaller "big" tractor like what you are looking for really does a very nice job at doing everything pretty well, and I dont even think about the pricetag when I climb on it, I just enjoy it. So try em all, I am happy with my NH, but they all make good ones.

/ 40 hp tractor, who has best product? #20  
Dealer can make you satified or miserable, regardless of brand /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Farm tractors are industrial tools. Built to endure long hard work, with much of the engineering worked out long ago. Niceties, FEL strength, hydro flow, etc. can be argued ad-nauseum (and are!), but the brands large enough to have multiple dealers in multiple states are generally really good quality. Read as many posts on this forum as you can, visit dealerships, try machines, get referrals, and remember you buy a dealer and his service when you buy his machine. The dealer is the bigger variable, IMHO.