422 need to tow out of woods

/ 422 need to tow out of woods
I pulled the engine out and nothing impinging on the outside. I'm not any kind of mechanic, so i called my nephew up to look it over. He spent a little time looking over said it looked like a lubrication failure seized a connecting rod and roasted the crankshaft.

At this point i blame Frank Sorbello for posting "Today, I ordered a 25 HP Kohler from Equipatron to replace my 22HP Robin/Subaru. $1529 free shipping. We shall see how it goes." :laughing: So, I ordered a 25 HP Kohler from Equipatron to replace my 22HP Robin/Subaru.

The second person i blame, is Scott562 for posting about his conversion kit. :laughing:

I called up Terry and told him what had happened and he offered another robins for around, $1990, just would need to bolt it in and go. But noooo, im not doing that, this non-mechanic is going to put in a completely different engine.

Sent off for engine from equipatron, and PT for conversion kit like scott562's.

Long story short. cut crank to fit, drilled tub for new engine, rejiggered the plug on tractor side of wiring harness and started the engine and moved it twenty feet. :thumbsup:

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #55  
Wow! Glad you got it going. How did you cut the shaft?

/ 422 need to tow out of woods #56  
How big a job was it to take the Robin engine out and replace it with the Kohler? My 1999 PT 422 bent the exhaust push rod and I don't know what all might need done to it. I talked to Terry and he told me to just put the extra 22 hp Robin I bought several years ago off a guy that replaced his 22 hp Robin with a larger Robin. I know that would be the cheapest and easiest but I am tempted to put in a 25 hp Kohler like several others have done. My 422 has 2,934 hours on it , the extra one I have has I believe has around 600 hours.

Holy cow, that's a lot of hours!

I cut the shaft with hacksaw, took about 15 minutes of non-frantic cutting. Used the wife's hem marking tool, it has increments of 1/64 inch! :eek: Blue painters tape as guide.
Photo Jun 19, 11 44 39 AM.jpg

I got the "kit" from PT. I didn't need the heat shield that was included, needed the shorter engine standoffs/bolts, right angle fuel line adapter for the engine, and the part that connects the engine to the pump. The template for drilling the new engine mounting holes was handy too.

I see that Andy's kohler is a CH730-3205, it appears it has a 1 1/8" shaft which is that same size shaft as the robin's engine i had so could have used the same jaw off the lovejoy i took off my engine. I got a bored out jaw from PT, $35.

The thing that kinda confounded me, was determining the engine shaft length. I tried three different ways to measure it, two of which were 1/8" of each other.

Heat shield:

Original, is much lighter gauge and could have been drilled to mount higher so as to clear the engine to pump coupler. I used the much heavier shield Terry sent, cut the ears off and drilled to mount just like the old one.

Photo Jun 04, 3 36 49 PM.jpg