425 Problem

/ 425 Problem
Well, today I mowed and tested the new plugs and air filter out. That did not help at all.
What I have found is the following:

Not just under load (pto) but now its all the time when working.
It gets hot and starts to bog down
Turn off for about 10 minutes and runs great until hot again.

I still can not get out of my head that its got to be the carborator. If its not getting enough fuel when under load is there an adjustment of the float?

I down loaded the Kohler engine specs that SnowRidge sent.
PJ

/ 425 Problem #34  
Sounds like it may be gradual fuel starvation.

Check for a clogged tank outlet or fuel filter. A lot of us have had crud accumulate in the elbow. Whoever builds these tanks for Power Trac is pretty sloppy about cleaning the manufacturing debris out. The alcohol in the fuel also loosens up any excess sealant in there.

Also check to make sure the fuel tank cap vent isn't blocked.

/ 425 Problem #35  
Had a problem with carburetor float sticking so ordered a carb kit and had the local Koehler dealer install the kit.
Went to mow and found I was unable to get full power when under load. All else seems ok but rpm's seem little low. In checking the manual there is no adjustments for this carb. I did adjust the throttle linkage but that did not seem to help.
Did mow today but still not at full rpm's when under load so mower is sluggish and going up incline very slow.
Not sure what to check any more, any suggestions?
PJ

Well, today I mowed and tested the new plugs and air filter out. That did not help at all.
What I have found is the following:

Not just under load (pto) but now its all the time when working.
It gets hot and starts to bog down
Turn off for about 10 minutes and runs great until hot again.

I still can not get out of my head that its got to be the carborator. If its not getting enough fuel when under load is there an adjustment of the float?

I down loaded the Kohler engine specs that SnowRidge sent.
PJ

Let's go back to the original problem... you had the float sticking and you ordered the carb kit and had the Kohler dealer install it.

How did you diagnose the float was sticking?

/ 425 Problem #36  
pj,

Did you say that your carb was an adjustable carb, and that you ordered a fixed jet kit for it? Did they return your old parts? Have you had a chance to remove the fuel bowl and see if the fuel flow is good. In setting the float, you turn the carb upside down, and the distance from the float to the rim of the carb is stated in the kit/manual. If it is a brass float, you bend the tang. If plastic, it might need some heat.

/ 425 Problem
Let's go back to the original problem... you had the float sticking and you ordered the carb kit and had the Kohler dealer install it.

How did you diagnose the float was sticking?

Had fuel in the oil, dripping out of the muffler, all indications of stuck float.
PJ

/ 425 Problem
pj,

Did you say that your carb was an adjustable carb, and that you ordered a fixed jet kit for it? Did they return your old parts? Have you had a chance to remove the fuel bowl and see if the fuel flow is good. In setting the float, you turn the carb upside down, and the distance from the float to the rim of the carb is stated in the kit/manual. If it is a brass float, you bend the tang. If plastic, it might need some heat.

This is not an adjustable carb. Kohler ordered kit to replace parts in same type of carb. When I installed carb back on tractor there were few parts to put back together and very easy.

/ 425 Problem #39  
Had fuel in the oil, dripping out of the muffler, all indications of stuck float.
PJ

O.K.

So now after the carb kit was installed by the Kohler dealer the machine gets hot quickly and loses power. Appears to be a symptom of running lean, correct?

/ 425 Problem #40  
maybe OT, but I ran out of gas today. I was surprised when I refilled the tank that it did not self-prime the fuel line.

The reason was is the way the fuel line is looped, and the very small diameter prevented the air trapped in the line from flowing out. I ended up having to squeeze all the air out of the line, and mess around with the filter to get most of the air bubble out of it. Possibly something is caught in that little elbow on the tank (although I can't see anything), cause I couldn't get the last bit of air out.

I think a straight nipple attached to the tank and a new larger diameter hose are in my future.