425 Problem

/ 425 Problem #51  
As I recall, all of your pumps are in front of the engine, correct? That should be a bit easier to replace VS my model with pumps fore and aft of the engine as you won't have to cut the housing on the opposite side of the shaft.

/ 425 Problem #52  
Thanks David,

Your right about the cost. Also not to mention if I can get the same engine. The frame is so tight you do not have much room to play with. There is no doubt that I have worked the engine much beyond what it was designed for. As I can not get along without the 425 in top condition I may consider the new engine. I have asked what it would cost for a ring job but no answer as of yet.
PJ

Seems like I remember from somewhere that the engine was bolted to a plate and that the plate was bolted to the bottom of the pt frame, if so it might be easier to unbolt the plate and raise the engine and do whatever work needed and then lower the plate with the motor mounted on it and then bolt the the plate back down. I don't know if that is right or not but if it is that might make a big difference in working on it.

/ 425 Problem
Seems like I remember from somewhere that the engine was bolted to a plate and that the plate was bolted to the bottom of the pt frame, if so it might be easier to unbolt the plate and raise the engine and do whatever work needed and then lower the plate with the motor mounted on it and then bolt the the plate back down. I don't know if that is right or not but if it is that might make a big difference in working on it.

You guys are great, going to check this out tomorrow.
I will try and keep everything running until late fall when machine is not used much.
PJ

/ 425 Problem
As I recall, all of your pumps are in front of the engine, correct? That should be a bit easier to replace VS my model with pumps fore and aft of the engine as you won't have to cut the housing on the opposite side of the shaft.

Yes, that is correct.
Mowing every three days now, no hills but able to reverse my mowing to go down hill for the most part.
PJ

/ 425 Problem #55  
PJ I am not as experienced as some with PTs but I have a lot of experience with the 25 hp Kohlers, which I believe you have. They are on both of my mowers. First of all, the mechanic I use all the time and trust said that those engines are not worth rebuilding. He said he has rarely ever seen one not have problems after being rebuilt weather it was rebuilt by him or someone else. Once you dig into them something is just not right. My experience has been with a burnt valve. I had another engine with bad compresion on the other head so I swapt the heads. With in a few months it developed an oil leak. I took it to him to fix the leak and he said he would do it but it could easily come back. It did with in a 100 hrs of use. That is just my experience, take it for what it is worth.

My vote is if you are on the fence get a new motor. How about the fuel injected 28 hp Kohler. From what I understand it is the same engine you have now with a different cam, compression, etc. So it should fit. From talking to Scarg on the phone(liquid cooled 29hp Kaw motor) he said more hp made a huge difference in his machine.

/ 425 Problem
PJ I am not as experienced as some with PTs but I have a lot of experience with the 25 hp Kohlers, which I believe you have. They are on both of my mowers. First of all, the mechanic I use all the time and trust said that those engines are not worth rebuilding. He said he has rarely ever seen one not have problems after being rebuilt weather it was rebuilt by him or someone else. Once you dig into them something is just not right. My experience has been with a burnt valve. I had another engine with bad compresion on the other head so I swapt the heads. With in a few months it developed an oil leak. I took it to him to fix the leak and he said he would do it but it could easily come back. It did with in a 100 hrs of use. That is just my experience, take it for what it is worth.

My vote is if you are on the fence get a new motor. How about the fuel injected 28 hp Kohler. From what I understand it is the same engine you have now with a different cam, compression, etc. So it should fit. From talking to Scarg on the phone(liquid cooled 29hp Kaw motor) he said more hp made a huge difference in his machine.

Thank you for the note and your experience, this really helps.
PJ

/ 425 Problem #58  
That engine would be awsome except it probably wouldn't fit. I don't know that though. I am just going by what scarg said to me about it took him a ton of reserch to find an engine with more hp that would fit. That is why I suggested another Kohler. Of course it still may be worth looking into, unless that much power would overwelm the pumps and cause damage.

/ 425 Problem #59  
In a random way I will second what scott says in regards to rebuilds (not kohler specific). I knew a small engine repair guy who basically told me over a beer that rebuilts are lucky to get another 3rd of life (it runs 1000 hours and fails, maybe you will get another 300 after rebuild).

/ 425 Problem #60  
That engine would be awsome except it probably wouldn't fit. I don't know that though. I am just going by what scarg said to me about it took him a ton of reserch to find an engine with more hp that would fit. That is why I suggested another Kohler. Of course it still may be worth looking into, unless that much power would overwelm the pumps and cause damage.

Look at the dimensions, it's actually smaller than the 25hp Robbin in width and only slightly longer.