4320 water pukmp failure

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #1  

logcabin

Tractor
John Deere 4320
I went to change out the water pump on my 2006, 4320 JD today. I spoke with a mechanic at a dealership here in Vermont, Yandows in Ferrisburg. I have the utmost respect, been in business a long time. He cautioned me that there is a potential of the timing cover being damaged from the bearings impeller, depending how loose it is. Now, I am a fanatic about wearing ear protection, consequently I never heard any type of noise. Once he told me this, I started it up and listened. Yup, there's a noise. I shut it right down. I ended up pulling the radiator to access the pump easier. Got the pump off and OMG, where the impeller is, there is a counterbore, and fairly deep into the timing cover. Not changing the pump now, or should I? There were two pieces of impeller in the timing cover. There is 6 fins on the impeller, only one is left, So there is 3 fins missing, where did they go? I called Yandows back and told them what I had found and asked for an estimate. The estimate came in at $3,000.00. Forty hours to repair. Keep in mind I have total respect for this dealer, but this seems like a long time to repair. I guess in this year and model they have to drop the front end, oil pan, etc. to remove the timing cover. Any opinions on time to repair out there? Just curious, thanks in advance.

Dave P. In Vermont

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #2  
If it isn't leaking why are you changing it?

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #3  
If it isn't leaking why are you changing it?
I am guessing poor cooling . As he said above there is only 1 vane left on the impeller. Pictures would help. My question is would the groove cause any mechanical issues with the new pump installation. I would guess due to cavitation there may be cooling issues or maybe not...

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #4  
This is a 13 year old tractor,, could you fit a piece of metal in the counterbore area, and weld it in place?

No need to replace the part.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #5  
I meant the timing cover

/ 4320 water pukmp failure
Sorry for the delay, TBN wouldn't let me in. Long story, I'm finally in now. I should have been more specific, it is leaking that is why I had to change it. CADplans mentioned about welding a piece around the hole in the timing cover. I was considering trying JB WELD. However, being there is a hole for fluid to get to the pump through the timing cover, the gasket of the new pump is certainly outside the counterbore area, it should not leak with a new pump and gasket?? I know this is probably not the correct way to repair but why do I need to go to the expense of all the labor to replace the timing cover? Amy I missing something here? My real concern is the impeller has six fins, one still on and two I found, what happened to the other three? Must have been ground up, possibly in radiator? IMG_2488.jpgIMG_2492.jpg I have attached a pic of timing cover and old pump, hopefully it will be viewable. I greatly value any and all opinions. Thank you all so much! Don't want to go to dealer if I don't have to.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #7  
Put it together and see. My concern would be turbidity created by the area leading to decreased cooling efficiency. I would be worried JB would break down and contaminate the cooling system or cause pump to fail. Won't know until you try.

Put it together and see. My concern would be turbidity created by the area leading to decreased cooling efficiency. I would be worried JB would break down and contaminate the cooling system or cause pump to fail. Won't know until you try.

Okay, tomorrow morning it goes back together. I will let you know what happens. The missing vanes is still a big concern. Thank you

I purchased this new in 2006.