4320 water pukmp failure

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #11  
I would think that the missing vanes are probably in the block in the water passages. If you run a good flow of water from a hose through the block they might possibly wash out on the ground or to an area around where the water pump goes si that you can reach then to pull them out. Good luck.......Don

/ 4320 water pukmp failure
I'm certainly no mechanic, to accomplish this do I insert the hose into the upper radiator hose to flush?> Seems lie this is the only place I could put it. Is it also possible they could be in the bottom of the radiator That is a great idea, thank you!!

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #13  
Most of the vanes should be in the top tank of the radiator, that's where the pump sends the water. If you have a magnet on a bendable wire, you can probe the area behind the inlet hole on the timing cover, some could have wound up there through gravity.
The cover appears to show rust in the gouge, is this a cast iron (or cast ferrous at least) cover? Most automotive covers are aluminum and suffer far worse from impeller scoring; if you have a steel cover the chances are good that the impeller vanes disintegrated before doing substantial damage.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #14  
I once lost all the fins on the cast iron impeller on a 391 Ford. We never did find them and they didn't cause any problems either. They were in the block some place.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure
flyerdan: I took the radiator and put the top on a clean bucket. I then ran water from the bottom of the radiator, draining into the clean bucket. I ran enough to fill the bucket about 3/4 full. I got another bucket and did the same except this time I filled from the top, and drained from the bottom into the second clean bucket. I also took a magnet and reached into the timing cover. I had very fine filings on the magnet. Did this quite a few times. Each time I had pepper size specks on the magnet. I haven't strained the two buckets yet but I can see quite a bit into the first bucket. I believe you were SPOT ON! I then put everything back together and fired it up. The temperature gauge climbed to just about center, I would say it was normal. I increased the rpm's some and gauge stayed in the same spot. All seemed good. No runs, no drips, and no errors, kinda sounds like the Boston Red Sox this season. I went into the woods and pulled a couple of hitches, everything seemed good. I do want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to me. Information received was extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! Thank you all!!

Last edited:
   / 4320 water pukmp failure #16  
I have a 05 4320 and i think i caught mine just in time.

Attachments

• 20220721_095123.jpg
    20220721_095123.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20220721_095245.jpg
    20220721_095245.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
   / 4320 water pukmp failure #17  
How many hours on your tractor? For everybody's information this forward end cover is made of aluminum. It also houses the engine oil pump. Another thing is that Deere did make a high volume water pump for the 2.44 engine. Not sure if they still do. The impeller dia. was larger on the high volume water pump.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #18  
One other thing is that the scoring is on the input side of the of the water pump. Early forward end covers like your's were as cast with a slight crown in that area. Later editions were machined in that area.

/ 4320 water pukmp failure #19  
One other thing is that the scoring is on the input side of the of the water pump. Early forward end covers like your's were as cast with a slight crown in that area. Later editions were machined in that area.
My 4320 has 1450 hours. It started making noise last week and i was not sure what it was.