4wd vs. 2wd

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #91  
BobG_in_VA:

<font color="blue">One must alway look at what one is doing prior to saying what's "best". </font>

Amen.

I had a Farmall SC (earlier version of your Farmall 230) and never got it stuck, but was careful where it went. I mostly run in 2wd in the new one, but with the MFWD in backup I am less careful about muddy/slippery/hilly because I know I can get out easier. Actually, the diff lock is almost as useful as the MFWD. One weakness of the MFWD is there is no adjustment for the track on the front (can't make it wider). On the whole, I am glad I got the MFWD.

farmerpsv's talk of $6k extra for the MFWD on the TN is a bit off (from an accounting standpoint). The resale on his TN (others have mentioned resale without numbers) will probably be at least $3k more than if it was 2wd. Thus his REAL cost is only maybe $3k more to buy the MFWD. So, he credits cash (or his liability account if he is financing it) for the $6k extra while the tractor value account is $3k greater (M/L) and depreciation is $3k greater (M/L) than the 2wd. In other words, it doesn't really cost $6k to get the MFWD.

<font color="blue">One must alway look at what one is doing prior to saying what's "best". </font>

Yes indeed.

JEH

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #93  
This is just a general comment to those died in the wool 2wd lovers that don't need no stinkin 4WD.

My hats of to those 2WD drive guys that can realize thier limitations and stay within them. Good job!

Me I bought 4WD it just gets boxblading, digging and backing up hills, etc.. done faster than 2WD in the dry.
In the mud/muck I have to have 4WD, doesn't matter how good a driver you are, the traction just isn't there.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #94  
2. I'm an idiot
OK I won't argue with you. You said it, I didn't. I'm sure you must know yourself better than I do. lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #95  
Well, at least I'm not a TOTAL IDIOT. If I would have gotten my truck, hooked up the chains/straps and hauled the tractor out of there and only THEN had seen the selector in 2wd, that would have been the ultimate insult.

Or of course as some one else mentioned I could have neglected to get 4wd in the first place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, with 2wd I wouldn't have gotten stuck because the job couldn't have been attempted. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, it's back to the ditch...gotta go

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #97  
Grimreaper,
Resale does not figure in for some of us. I buy tractors to keep not trade in every few years. Of course I realize it is a factor for those who do trade up on their tractors.

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #98  
Heres' a before/after photo. I don't know if you can judge the depth but you can see that it is barely wide enough for the tractor. This malkes it tough, if you lose traction there is no "good" stuff to slide over onto. Also the FEL takes up the entire ditch so if I hit a rock I can't get an angle on it, it's straight ahead or nothing. The mud is held together by roots and thatch so it doesn't want to let go, rather it rolls up like sod. oncew the roll egts too heavy for the FEL it's not fun! I have been using the prybal and shovel as much as the tractor to move boulders and roots.

It is VERY interesting getting the tractor into the ditch I nose down and lift the FEL so it clears the wall and then manuever CAREFULLY to get going in the right direction. Going in on an angle is tough with the slope and mud.

It is coming along and should be done by weeks end. After I add another drainage pipe it SHOULD help dry up part of my property.
314472-beforeafter2.jpg

Attachments

• 314472-beforeafter2.jpg
    314472-beforeafter2.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 151
   / 4wd vs. 2wd #99  
slowrev:

Yeah, I know. Lot's of folks have lots of money. Me, I keep a set of books to see (sorta) where I'm at. Whether I plan on keeping something or not.

It's my opinion (lot's might not agree) that it makes sense to keep a list what you've got, what you owe and what's left over that's yours and use that information to help you make purchasing decisions - such as what/how much tractor to buy (it doesn't have to be a full blown set of books to be worthwhile doing). The bottom line is whether what's left over is going up, or down, or . . .

When I wrote a check (tractor, extras, sales taxes etc) earlier this year for pushing $30k it's a major purchase - for me anyway. I am not planning to sell the tractor. But I didn't "spend" that amount. Only spent about $9k since cash assets went down, while equipment assets went up about 2/3 of what cash assets went down. The difference is the initial depreciation hit - unlike cars which depreciate to near 0, tractors hold up pretty well if taken care of. None of that relates to whether I plan on keeping the tractor the rest of my life, or, trading it in tomorrow. It does relate to keeping a handle on what your finances are and, at least to the point of this thread, whether to spend extra to get MFWD or stick with the 2wd. I was simply trying to make the point that the "cost" of MFWD is less than the actual difference in price.

I run into lot's of people who have no idea of where their finances are. Personally, I think that's a bit risky. But each person has to decide for themselves. Frankly, I am very conservative financially (I still believe gold is real money!) and that "ratios" are important. For example, I believe a conservative finanical ratio is approximately 25% of whatever you're worth should be liquid (cash or convertible to cash within 24 hrs), a maximum of 25% in consumer goods (such as house, car, etc.) and 50% in investment assets (things you own that you expect to bring in income/profit). If you maintain those ratios, or something approximating them, you are far less apt to run into financial problems. If you purchase a tractor solely to mow or use on your residential property, you are transferring liquid assets to a consumer good. On the other hand, if you expect to pick up some money with your tractor you are transferring assets from liquid to investment assets. I believe these "ratios" hold true whether you're worth $10k, or, 10 x $10k, or, 100 x $10k, or, 1,000 x $10k, or, whatever.

JEH

/ 4wd vs. 2wd #100  
Uh-Oh, I just bought a 2WD. I guess I'll do OK. My land is flat. Dad has an old MF50 to pull me out if I get stuck...So I guess I got 4WD but just 2 2WD tractors combined!

Send all your 2WD tips that you used before you saw the light and bough 4WD. There are still one or two of us 2WD users out there struggling to just get by...have a little compassion!

Jim
Farmtrac 60 (50 hp) with loader (2500#), bush hog (SQ72), box blade (6ft) and a BUNCH (homemade backhoe and farm implements) of other stuff I can borrow from Dad under the u break it u fix it rental program.