4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor?

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #21  
Jay, would you be so kind as to add a Large arrow to the seal in question?I see it is quite a complex arrangement for the 4wheel drive. Thx. Jy.
I just found this - might be some help:

JayC

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor?
Jay, would you be so kind as to add a Large arrow to the seal in question?I see it is quite a complex arrangement for the 4wheel drive. Thx. Jy.

Its the one marked "A".

JayC

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #23  
For at least some Kubotas there is an updated "A" seal. Its expensive and I couldn't source it outside Kubota. Lasts longer though.

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #24  
The diagram JayC posted is from this thread. It's from the axle layout drawing like KennyV posted above. I had put letters A, B, C, D on and described the four seals a little and later on there's a post with the step by step for the seal job.

Further down there's a discussion about the axle design in general - that addresses JayC's first question about "front axle/hub design - poor?" I think the trouble goes back to when Kubota departed from the hub design that was supported at the top and bottom (double shear support).

Oil leaking out is a mess but leaking seals also let dirt and water in - so they should get fixed. Also, I've tried heavier weight oil and it still comes out, just slower. Grease might not leak out but there are a lot of moving parts in there and grease won't necessarily flow to all of them. Take care, Dick B

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor?
The diagram JayC posted is from this thread. It's from the axle layout drawing like KennyV posted above. I had put letters A, B, C, D on and described the four seals a little and later on there's a post with the step by step for the seal job.

Uh oh... I smell a copyright infringement lawsuit. Dang.

Hey rbargeron - can you give me any specifics for what to get in snap ring pliers? Straight, bent - what size ends, or whatever else I would want to use to pick a set?

thanks much - JayC

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #26  
Any automotive store has HD snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips. I didn't have a set and I live well outside town so I ground the tips of a cheap pair of needle nose plier and slipped some handle extensions on to reach up inside the axle. I had to use my light bent nose pliers for one of the rings and they were barely adequate (had to cross the handles and try repeatedly to get enough travel at the tips to get it off)

The hardest part of the whole thing is the snap rings and cleaning. I had a dissintegrated ball retainer from one of the bearings spread throughout the knuckle.

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #27  
Any automotive store has HD snap ring pliers with interchangeable tips. I didn't have a set and I live well outside town so I ground the tips of a cheap pair of needle nose plier and slipped some handle extensions on to reach up inside the axle. I had to use my light bent nose pliers for one of the rings and they were barely adequate (had to cross the handles and try repeatedly to get enough travel at the tips to get it off)

The hardest part of the whole thing is the snap rings and cleaning. I had a dissintegrated ball retainer from one of the bearings spread throughout the knuckle.

Although not as convenient, if you buy snap ring pliers that do not have interchangeable tips, they are far stronger and easier to use. You will end up buying a pair for each size, configuration and location of each snap ring you need to access. I highly recommend not using the interchangeable type.

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #28  
Thanks guys for the in depth descriptions of parts and needed tools. I did refer to the older listing or posting which even had engineering of the front axle explained. I am so glad I found this group of Kubota orangetractor owners and operators...Jy.
Although not as convenient, if you buy snap ring pliers that do not have interchangeable tips, they are far stronger and easier to use. You will end up buying a pair for each size, configuration and location of each snap ring you need to access. I highly recommend not using the interchangeable type.

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #29  
30$ set vs 120$ for 2 pairs for a one time job. I love fixed tip snap ring pliers, but I don't own a large set myself. Someday...

/ 4x4 Kubota front axle/hub design - poor? #30  
30$ set vs 120$ for 2 pairs for a one time job. I love fixed tip snap ring pliers, but I don't own a large set myself. Someday...

I hear ya, they aren't cheap. :( I've fought with the universal kind too much in my time though. The "real" kind are just such a joy to use. You can justify cost of tools by taking it out of the labour you'd pay your mechanic. :thumbsup: