4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #41  
I would take it all apart so you can fully examine it.

Chris

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #42  
I was stuck in the mud and it was late and cold. I was not thinking and already had her in 1 low 4x4 and then put on the rear dif lock and when I put it into gear heard a loud crack in the gear box. I felt it through the gear box. I can drive but I have no front power. I think it must be the gear box link snapped or came off. Any ideas, I'm not the only one to do this. But atlease I can still run in 2x4 and get work done. Power stearing, front end no leaking, 4x4 power switch will go in but no action. Put front end up and wheels will spin when turned by hand but with a clicking noise.

I'm curious as to why "I was not thinking and already had her in 1 low 4x4 and then put on the rear dif lock and when I put it into gear heard a loud crack in....." would cause the damage. Is it not a good idea to run 4WD with differential lock engaged on any tractor?

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #43  
Yeah, it seems pretty clear that this injury was self-inflicted. Those original broken teeth splashed around in the gear oil, eventually landing somewhere critical to axle rotation. The ensuing "loud snap" was that axle being forced to turn against an immovable resistance.

//greg//

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock
The the whole axle apart? when I turn the axle side that I did not take off it turns the gears in the box. and the wheel will turn when I turn the gears. So I should still take apart the entire axle. Or just the one side? Thank you for all your help.
Greg, do you mean that it should be okay to use pausee traction with 4wd low, and that the loose teeth just found there way into the right place. Because from the time I was 14 I always found that if something was broken I was making choices that were bad. Not like crashes. But like jumping a Buick over a canal.

Last worry about this but, should I just assume that by checking the 4wd and 2wd axle turning/ not turning. That there is probably no problem with the rear of the drive shaft?

I am having problems figuring out how to take a circle out of a box. IMG_20131112_221130.jpgIMG_20131112_221133.jpgIMG_20131112_221143.jpg

I took the bolts out and the metal clips off. There are small c clips holding something. I can't get it out or apart. I do see two slots behind the bearings. But I still can not get this out.

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #47  
I don't know what "use pausee traction" means. But whenever you have pieces of metal sloshing around in a gear box, it's imperative to get them out before they cause additional damage. If you want to visualize, think of a broken piece of dinner plate that somehow got into a forkful of food. You're' chewing and chewing, and all of a sudden you crunch down on that piece. Something's gotta give. Regarding the strip down, technically it's only necessary to remove/replace the broken piece. But as far as you've got it stripped this far already, there's nothing wrong with a complete disassembly/reassembly. It can give you piece of mind that there are no other problems in there, waiting to happen after everything's been sealed back up. Kinda like a full engine rebuild rather than just a ring and valve job.

"Getting a circle out of a box" by the way, involves freeing the gears from the shafts. Only the shafts come out the circle, the gears come out the top. Typically this first involves removing circlips from shafts, then driving/pulling bearings/seals from circles.

//greg//

/ 4x4 went out when put on rear dif lock #48  
Locking the diff is similar to the old term posi-traction for a car.

If tractor differentials are anything like cars only tougher that differential will be shimmed and basically a very tight fit in there. I have used diff spreaders before to stretch/bow a differential housing far enough to get the differential in/out of my cars and trucks before and maintain proper clearances. Make sure you know the baseline measurments for shim on each side so you can properly set you lash. Not all shim are the same if they are in there you maynot have the same number or thickness on each side

Got it. to get the bearings off what is the best way? And what are the pins under the metal bans and bolts for.

I finally got the front gear box apart. There was a small pin that went into the hole that holds the shaft that supports the gears. Once that came out (I had to drill it out)Everything came apart. It looks like the gear has a brass cup and it fell apart into the system. Probably was not the reason but an affect. I remember about three years ago my wheel fell off so I needed to change out the axle parts. Not sure if this could have traveled.

Anyway!! I got the whole right half of the shaft apart and now I found one more gear that is broken. that makes one rod and three gears. At the top of the vertical shaft there is a second from the top bearing and it seems to have problems turning. It probably is messed up. Im going to pull it tomorrow. I will send pics.

In the manual pic, they really need to have less items in each picture. the tires get their own picture.