50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #11  
I purchased a 2555 this spring and I am incredibly happy with it. The loader is very strong, much stronger than the kubota. Also, as others have stated, weight is very important. Even with a box blade on the back I can easily lift the back tires if I'm not careful.

I recently loaded a squeeze chute in the back of my truck to return to a buddy, and my tractor handled it no problem with the box blade as a ballast. I also have my tires loaded. My buddy has an MX5800, and he had a bush hog on the back. Not sure if his tires are loaded or not, but he could hardly pick it up without his back tires coming off the ground. He was only able to lift it an inch or two off my bed and I had to drive out, where my tractor was able to set it in the bed.

I also love not having to worry about tier 4 requirements. There are some issues that have been noted in the Mahindra forum, and even though I only have 40 hours on mine, I have had zero issues so far. I also got a loader extension put on by the dealer at no extra cost, and now it works great.

You can probably see the extension in the picture below.

Attachments

• image-2779275984.jpg
    image-2779275984.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 536
   / 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #12  
comparing specs becomes more useless every year. The amount of ways companies seem to cook the books on the spec sheets seems to increase every year. No is no replacement for getting your butt in the seat and running the machine.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #13  
Yep, Nebrasca has the solution to that.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map
comparing specs becomes more useless every year. The amount of ways companies seem to cook the books on the spec sheets seems to increase every year. No is no replacement for getting your butt in the seat and running the machine.

Yeah, it's becoming like the phrase "security through obscurity!"

It's a bit unfair in that I have only tried out the MX5200. Felt pretty familiar, to my B7800, just bigger. Kubota bias I won't deny: it's warranted given the proven performance of over 900 hours of seat time on my B7800. BUT, I'm not known to be "brand loyal."

I did not like the loader joystick position on the Mahindra. Apparently I'm not the only person that the salesperson had heard that from, in which case he responded pretty quickly that one could relocated it down. Yeah, if that was all I needed to do then no biggie! So, not a show stopper. But, when coupled with the view of a hanging wire (and connector) underneath the tractor these things didn't leave me with a steller impression; and if things were priced the same I'd have ceased to consider it.

The point about things hanging out and snagging and breaking is BIG to me. So much so that when I looked at some New Hollands (out on the lot, by myself) first thing I spotted was an hydraulic block that stuck out to the side totally exposed I completely ruled them out. Not even a question of whether I'd have that damaged in short order! I've literally had my B7800 on top of a stump which I'd managed to dig all the way around (it was like a moat and I was on an island with the tractor!). My B7800 has only ever left me stranded once: salmon berry cane folded over underneath the tractor and manged to flip back up inside the frame's channel and shove the hydraulic return line's hose off a pipe (one of the times when one would have liked to have a non-HST tractor!).

To deal with my fears with SCR I've stepped back and am considering a used MX5100 (someone mentioned this). I feel that this more readily levels the playing field with the Mahindra 2555 (though it's 55hp vs 50hp): the lack of DPF/DEF was the big reason why I considered the Mahindra. I have older VW TDIs and am quite versed in EGR issues; the issues on newer CR and DPF/DEF [SCR] (though VW didn't go that route, and is now clear what the price for not doing so is!) keeps me from stepping forward with technology. I suppose if the newer Kubotas or the Kiotis (with SCR) had a big advantage then I might be more accepting.

So, as the thread really started out to be about, it's really the loader differences that have me really pondering here: Mahindra's loader joy stick could be moved, and I could probably help tuck away any of the hanging stuff. Seth's story is real world, and that's what I really appreciate. However, I know that I will ALWAYS find that I am underpowered for something; if I were to get the Mahindra 2555 I know that I'd be posting here at some point on what I wasn't able to do with it. I've always said that if I needed more power that I'd go rent it: I go out and rent excavators because they have the power and function that I need, but it's for only certain projects and I don't need their capabilities all the time (though, excavators are REALLY cool! I rent a Takeuchi 285 and that thing is an awesome machine!). And my mentioning of the Takeuchi, sorry if I'm appearing to be muddling the topic here, is that it's hydraulics are extremely smooth: I've rented Bobcats and didn't like the hydraulics, not real smooth (you have to be good in order to not have the thing jerking all over the place). Having put over 900 hours on my Kubota B7800 I can say that the hydraulics on it are pretty decent (for a low end machine). I suppose that I could see that quicker operation can also make for jerkier movements, meaning that the Mahindra's slower loader operation COULD make it feel smoother (comfort vs speed trade-off?)

So, is Mahinda really putting 37% more loader power out there -"to the ground"- than Kubota (and a high percentage more than Kioti)? Is Kubota de-rating the loader based on a lighter tractor weight (350 lbs less, which isn't 37% less)? Is Mahindra over-rating and possibly compromising their tractor frames (or the loader itself)? If we were talking something along the lines of 10% or so I wouldn't really be so puzzled.

I work my B7800 really fast. A slower loader might be a bit more frustrating for me. But, with a bigger tractor (more capacity) perhaps I would be working slower anyways?

jeff9366, thanks for the notes. I've had a tooth bar on my B7800 and it gets used a LOT: I've managed to use it to break up some massive debris piles, moving around tree trunks that are several times the weight of the tractor. Also have a subsoiler, well, if I take off the plow piece (middle buster plow), but have never used it to break up roots: I use my box blade's rippers to chisel away at roots, and other than the time I was stupid and was doing that with the rippers all the way down (had them down to "till" up a garden spot), it's worked well: that stump, a cedar, I got out with the big excavator; stump split up about 60%/40% and I was only able to pick up the 40% chunk (probably about 3k lbs) with the excavator. Running the Takeuchi 285 made me well aware of what power and weight mean:)

As it stands now I'd have to say that my work is:

60% mowing (my B7800 with a 5' field mower is getting dwarfed)
30% lifting/bucket work (I now NEED to be able to move pallet loads of firewood; the B7800 can but just get them up off the ground, it cannot stack- I'd like to be able to stack two at the same time, but that ain't necessary- I'm not in the firewood business, so it's not a huge need; hauling single pallets, though, to the house will be more frequent [and in the wet winters here I don't want to be tearing the crap out of things]; in the future I expect that I'll be needing to move some round bales, though not on any large scale)
10% dirt work (stumps; leveling etc)

I figure that with a different tractor that those percentages could/would shift around a bit. If the tractor was a big hammer then I'd probably be doing a lot of nailing!:D

Again, I really appreciate folks taking the time to discuss this with me. I suppose that I'm trying to help solidify what I really NEED vs what I'd WANT: most of what I have is basic, no-frills, in which case I cannot find the justification for anything fancy (if money were no object then sure).

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #15  
Kubota MX is a great place to start. Amazing power and pure guts. Definitely a contender for any tractor use in that hp range. You won't be disappointed.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #16  
RE: Post #14

The only significant change from Post #1 is your numerical definition of tractor tasks as 60% mowing, 30% loader work and 10% Three Point Hitch work.

I think you have learned about all T-B-N can offer you. Its time to sally forth from the computer and climb on tractors.

I would stop by the Kubota dealer and tell them you are interested in a used MX5100. If someone is ready to trade in a used MX5100 on another Kubota it likely would make the transaction easier to the seller, the Kubota dealer and you.

My local Kubota dealer does not take trade ins, UNLESS he has a customer lined up for the incoming used tractor prior to closing the transaction. He is perfectly happy to put the seller in contact with a third party and stay out of a two party negotiation. I sold my B3300SU this way.

Start to look on Craig's List and eBay.

If you are still undecided in February considered attending the Spokane Ag Expo. Perusing the exhibitor's list, many tractor manufacturers will be there. Ag Expo > Greater Spokane Incorporated

I attend the gigantic Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moultrie, Georgia most years. Every tractor manufacturer and most implement producers are there. You can climb on the tractors and ask questions of the reps for three days.

Last edited:
   / 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map
I had spotted an MX5100 listed from the dealer that I was just at (looking at the MX5200). I got in touch with them, the salesman said that he has been thinking of me, and they gave me a quote $1k less than the new MX5200. The MX5100 is an 2014 model year and has 93 hours on it. Still the old pedal layout (and still a clutch pedal). I am wanting a rear remote and can get that for a discount of $400 if I install it myself: I suppose there's no reason I couldn't do that. If I opt to install the remote then I'm looking at a total price, taxes and all, of just over $31k (this would be about $3k more than the new [2015?] Mahindra 2555 that I looked at). Not sure if the tires are ballasted, but I'd guess that if it was originally purchased from this dealer that it was: I need to check.

Thoughts?

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #18  
Sounds high

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #19  
Sounds high

Agreed.

Just bought a mx5100 w/340 hrs, ssqa loader, r1 tires, HST......no remotes thought....for $20k OTD. I wouldnt pay 50% more for a few hundred less hours and a single remote to install myself

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #20  
I had spotted an MX5100 listed from the dealer that I was just at (looking at the MX5200). I got in touch with them, the salesman said that he has been thinking of me, and they gave me a quote $1k less than the new MX5200. The MX5100 is an 2014 model year and has 93 hours on it. Still the old pedal layout (and still a clutch pedal). I am wanting a rear remote and can get that for a discount of $400 if I install it myself: I suppose there's no reason I couldn't do that. If I opt to install the remote then I'm looking at a total price, taxes and all, of just over $31k (this would be about $3k more than the new [2015?] Mahindra 2555 that I looked at). Not sure if the tires are ballasted, but I'd guess that if it was originally purchased from this dealer that it was: I need to check.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I think the price is high. 93 hours is nothing, but the tractor, I'm assuming with qa fel, should be more like 27k. look on tractor house, etc for comparable pricing. Then, beat the dealer up. Don't know anything about the Mahindra, except it is not a Kubota.