50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #21  
Don't take Mahindra's marketing at face value (that is doesn't have emission regulation tech that can be a problem). Just look into it.

A year ago I debated MX vs NX. Mostly came down to having the better dealer. The NX has lot more electronic bells and whistles which could add convenience or complexity to fail).

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map
Keep in mind that the prices that I've noted are WITH taxes.

Without taxes here's what I have:

- Kioti NX5510H [2016] - $29,795
- Kubota MX5100 [2014 w/93 hrs] - $28,895 (that includes the cost for an install of a remote)
- Kubota MX5200 [2016] - $29,945
- Mahindra 2555 [2015 or 2014, not sure] - $26,350

That MX5100 price is right in the ballpark compared to what is out there on the Internet. Cheaper happens with a fair amount more hours or with gear transmissions (which I don't want).

Luke, yeah, more complex = more sensors and stuff, and it's these electrical things that tend to cause problems more than do mechanical things. My simple B7800 and it's safety switches have caused me some grief; I can only imagine (well, based on automotive experience/knowledge I'd have to say that I KNOW) how all the stuff related to emissions systems does. I tend to repair everything that I have (a recent exception was a chainsaw and that one even had an expert a bit baffled).

The reality is that the simpler machine is really the most expensive. The salesman even mentioned that the pre-tier IV machines were commanding high prices.

I'm going to stop back by the Mahindra dealer on Sunday to get a closer look and to see if I can test drive the 2555. Despite all the stuff that I don't really need, there are some things that ARE attractive (slower engine speed for 540 PTO operation; more torque; the side-by-side travel pedals, though I'm pretty comfortable with the treadle pedal arrangement; steps on either side of the tractor [I realize that you shouldn't be climbing on on the loader joystick side, but sometimes you get pinned in places where you need to get off on that side- I'd like to make that call, not a manufacturer or OSHA tell me if I can). Again, I'm really not wanting anything to do with DPF/DEF if I can help it, so I'm focusing only on the 2555 and MX5100 (sorry Kioti).

This video has some compelling points in it, though it's a marketing video from Mahindra (I ignore where they bash on the MX5200 for the DPF stuff since I am more interested in the MX5100):

The Mahindra Challenge: 2555 vs MX52 - YouTube

Either my math or theirs is wrong with regard to the difference in loader lift capacity. The video claims that their loader has 28% MORE lift capacity than the Kubota. Looking at the spec sheets on both I see the 2555 loader at 3,122 lbs and the Kubota's at 2,275 lbs. Again, this was the thing that really caught my eye. Anyway, the percentage is 37% (as I noted in my first post): (3122 - 2275)/2275. Their "28%" would hold closer to facts if they were to state that the Kubota loader's capacity is LESS: (3122 - 2275)/3122; actually the math comes out closer to 27%, but this is not as significant of an error. If Mahindra can get dyslexic with this, what else are they dyslexic on? Yeah, yeah, nitpick... I suppose that it's better that in their error they actually understated things: as a competitor I don't think that I'd be wanting to correct them, not when the correction goes against you! Gee, I wonder if Mahindra would hire me if I pointed this out to them?

I'm still leery of common rail. When HPPs go they tend to do a fair amount of damage to an engine.

On-paper I'm good, but issues like what the commenter Neil Alston wrote make me want to look the other way. I'm sure that there's always someone who has an issue, I just want to not be THAT person.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #24  
RE: Post #14

My local Kubota dealer does not take trade ins, UNLESS he has a customer lined up for the incoming used tractor prior to closing the transaction. He is perfectly happy to put the seller in contact with a third party and stay out of a two party negotiation. I sold my B3300SU this way.

possibly the most asinine thing I have ever heard! used Kubota's are so easy to sell and he is throwing away a significant profit center!

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #25  
That video doesnt really make any surprising points.

Most of it was just about all the features that mahindra offers that kubota dont......well duh......the 2555 is a deluxe tractor....the MX is a standard "economy" machine. I think the first line of that mahindra video was "lets compare it to our closest competitor"....

I think a better match up would have been an L5460 or L6060.

All the frills arent what I look at in a tractor. And when comparing tractors, dont compare an economy model with no frills, to a delux model with all the frills......then fave about how much better it is.

No doubt the mahindra is a nice machine. But No two tractors from two different MFGs are identical. And obviously mahindra is gonna pick points that they are better on. In this case, the mahindra is just a flat out larger more equipped machine. If thats what you need, great.

There certainly is no shortage of tractor options under 60hp. You can get about every combination of size, HP and options that you can imagine.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #26  
That video doesnt really make any surprising points.

Most of it was just about all the features that mahindra offers that kubota dont......well duh......the 2555 is a deluxe tractor....the MX is a standard "economy" machine. I think the first line of that mahindra video was "lets compare it to our closest competitor"....

I think a better match up would have been an L5460 or L6060.

All the frills arent what I look at in a tractor. And when comparing tractors, dont compare an economy model with no frills, to a delux model with all the frills......then fave about how much better it is.

No doubt the mahindra is a nice machine. But No two tractors from two different MFGs are identical. And obviously mahindra is gonna pick points that they are better on. In this case, the mahindra is just a flat out larger more equipped machine. If thats what you need, great.

There certainly is no shortage of tractor options under 60hp. You can get about every combination of size, HP and options that you can imagine.

Actually, I believe that the Mahindra 2500 series tractors are considered their economy CUT models. So they are comparing economy-economy machines.

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #27  
Actually, I believe that the Mahindra 2500 series tractors are considered their economy CUT models. So they are comparing economy-economy machines.

Sure seems to have alot of bells and whistles and push button this push button that for an econo model.

They could probably have s spectacular price point without all of that.

There is alot of overlap in different models, and different brands. Great for a consumer as you can pretty much get whatever you want. But bad for comparing.

Pick a tractor of any brand.......and try to compare it to another brand....odds are you can find one that specs worse/has fewer features. But just as likely you can find one that specs better and has more features.

Specs and features.....sure, the 2555 has an edge on the MX. But Id say the Lxx60 has the edge over the 2555.

Of course price is a whole nother topic

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #28  
Also, reliability and support are really hard to comparison shop on an excel spreadsheet

/ 50/55hp utility tractor comparisons - specs all over the map #29  
Sure seems to have alot of bells and whistles and push button this push button that for an econo model.

They could probably have s spectacular price point without all of that.

There is alot of overlap in different models, and different brands. Great for a consumer as you can pretty much get whatever you want. But bad for comparing.

Pick a tractor of any brand.......and try to compare it to another brand....odds are you can find one that specs worse/has fewer features. But just as likely you can find one that specs better and has more features.

Specs and features.....sure, the 2555 has an edge on the MX. But Id say the Lxx60 has the edge over the 2555. ( this happens to be funny to me, the Grand Ls are quite far ahead of the 2500 series machines IMO.)
Of course price is a whole nother topic

In my mind, the Grand Ls are pretty hard to beat, and you pay for that. Not saying that other manufacturers don't have models that are all pretty close, but as most of us know, Kubota has the bar set pretty high with the Grand Ls for CUTs. ;)

Totally agree with what folks are saying here. I need to spend my money more on HP (and attachments!) than on niceties. Early on I was really wanting to go with something like the Grand L series (L5240 - not until you're around 1,000 hrs are prices around what I feel I can afford), but the prices eat into the HP side of the equation: my old butt would like something with more creature comfort; my old wallet argues otherwise! Note, however, that I am still open to a "used" machine (that's all I've ever bought, including cars and trucks- NEVER bought new, so considering a new tractor is even more difficult for me!), though I want to keep hours down.

The machines that I picked were because those were what was available (and had responsive dealers) and because they were close in HP and other basic ratings. I'd trade some of the 2555's bells and whistles for a more refined finish. In effect that's what the MX5100 is. Again, if I'm wanting more power then I really don't want to be disappointed. The loader specs on the 2555 is a bit distracting, I cannot get myself to look the other way. I like the simplicity of the MX5100, and I'm sure that that translates to reliability: I want something that works more than something that looks impressive (on paper or sitting there, perhaps broke down). The peddle controls on the MX5100 are somewhat troubling to me as I see myself getting caught up on that treadle peddle: my B7800's peddle arrangement has the arm under the deck, making things more clean; yes, it catches crap and gets jammed up from time to time, but having it on top I'd still get crap flying on to the deck and lodging under the pedals (easier and quicker to rectify). The 2555's loader joy stick position is horrible: it's like chopper motorcycle monkey bars! I don't like that travel pedal on the MX5100. One doesn't use a loader all the time; and, the position might be able to be modified. The travel pedal on the other hand is used more often and, I don't think, can really be modified. These things are starting to really cause me to think... With this kind of $$, and in this day and age (up to 2014 for the MX100) I'd think that one shouldn't be facing questions about these things.