50 hr service (fuel filter)

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #1  

smokeys427

Tractor
Kioti DS3510 1949 Ford 8N
Just completed my 50 hour service on my DS3510 and yes the hydro filter was a **** like all have mentioned!
I have the new fuel filter but I haven't changed it yet though. I wanted to ask y'all when I replace the fuel filter with a new one and be sure to fill the fuel glass/filter housing and filter with fuel will that be enough so I don't have to bleed the system out. I have read the manual about how to bleed the system if I run out of fuel (which I never have) and the way the write it really makes it very confusing to understand. So will I be Ok with just filling the housing and filter without worrying about getting air in and have to bleed air out?
Thanks again for any advise.
Regards,
Smokeys427

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #2  
I don't have Kioti but I would not think you need to replace the fuel filter yet. I bought one for mine when I did the 50 hr. service just to have on hand. I figure I may change it at the 200 hr. service. If you change yours you should be OK just filling the glass, filter, and housing. I have changed many tractor fuel filters and only once had to bleed the system. Hopefully another Kioti owner will correct me if I'm wrong about your tractor.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #3  
Filling the bowl will help a great deal with the air but still not a big problem with the little air remaining. At the top of the filter mounting is a valve. It should be marked off, run, air. After changing the filter, turn the valve lever to air and start the tractor normally. Let it run a few minutes and turn the lever to run. You'll be good to go until the next filter change. Changed mine about four times now on a CK30hst. I didn't fill the bowl the first time but it bled out all the air when the valve was on the air position. I had changed mine when at 50 hours by the manual but after looking at it, it didn't really need it. You probably could wait as mentioned.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #4  
I'd change it. You can't see what's embedded in the filter unless the particles are large, you have X-ray (Charles) vision, or there is copious amounts of water present.
AND we're coming into winter; well you may be coming into tornadoes, but changing it may get out initial contaminants from the tank etc. since leaving the factory.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #5  
Just completed my 50 hour service on my DS3510 and yes the hydro filter was a **** like all have mentioned!
I have the new fuel filter but I haven't changed it yet though. I wanted to ask y'all when I replace the fuel filter with a new one and be sure to fill the fuel glass/filter housing and filter with fuel will that be enough so I don't have to bleed the system out. I have read the manual about how to bleed the system if I run out of fuel (which I never have) and the way the write it really makes it very confusing to understand. So will I be Ok with just filling the housing and filter without worrying about getting air in and have to bleed air out?
Regards,
Smokeys427
I change my fuel fliter twice now, an I did not have to bleed the system. You can fill up the bowl completely, that works good.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #6  
You shouldn't need a fuel filter change yet, unless you have really crappy fuel.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #7  
My CK35 owners manual shows to clean the fuel filter element every 100hrs and to replace every 400. I agree with CM about manufacturing debris ending up in the wrong place. My dealer has shown me paint chips, metal machining curls and wire wheel bristles in a hydro fluid change, who knows what's in the fuel tank.
Also, cleaning a fuel filter in kerosene by soaking, agitating and rinsing may still let particles migrate to the injector side of the element. I know that I am overthinking this. So for about $10 for a new element, I just clean the fuel bulb and change the element during the 100hr engine oil and filter service.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #8  
For the cost of maybe 2 Starbucks coffees one can replace the fuel filter as part of routine maintenance. Cleaning it is a ludicrous concept, IMO, because of what Amvcane stated about debris getting past the filter to the IP. Price out a new IP and see which makes more sense. IPs are assembled in clean rooms to keep microscopic particles out of their internal channels, that's how sensitive to foreign particles they are.

The same logic applies to air filters, the most important preventive part of any engine maintenance. People say they can clean them; the industry says no - cleaning them is a huge NO. Even the housings they reside in should be wiped clean not blown out with compressed air to keep microscopic particles from lodging in the filtration system, air intake, etc. I've read the articles in the industry magazines.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter) #9  
Regards,
Smokeys427

The answer is a definite maybe. I have done exactly what you have said and I skated by without bleeding. It did stumble some for a bit, but it worked what little air was in there out and ran fine after that. You have absolutely nothing to lose by trying it. Shut the fuel off, change the filter, be mindful of the o-rings and spring, fill with clean fuel, put carefully back together, and fire it up.

/ 50 hr service (fuel filter)
Thanks to all for all the helpful info! I'll go ahead and change the filter and fill the bowl with fuel then and use the procedure using the valve that the other poster talked about so as not to get any air in the system. It's just I've heard so many horror stories about air getting in the system of a diesel engine.