$5000 Truck I bought.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
If anybody read my thread from a couple of weeks ago, I was looking at trading my 2007 Ram for a Dodge Challenger, and them buying a $5000 truck to replace the Ram. We did the deal for the Challenger this last Saturday, and bought a truck today. The $5000 truck turned in to a $8800 truck. It is a 2002 GMC half ton, 100,000 miles, 4x4 regular cab, 5.3l V8. Its in excellent shape for its age and miles.

I have one question, how do you determine the rear gear ratio. The truck has the tow package. In the past I have spun the rear tires and counted the revoloutions of the drive shaft. I did it several times, and got 2 spins of the driveshaft for one of the tire. This doesn't seem possible. I've never hear of rear gears much taller than a 2.7 to 1. Am I doing something stupid when I spin the tires and count the drive shaft revs? Is there some kind of code on the truck that tells? At times they have put tags on the rear ends, but I couldn't find one.

BTW, I love the Challenger.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #3  
Spinning the rear end does not work like it used to now with some having the lockers, ect. Many GM's you have to do what you have done and multiply it by 2.

According to my tow book a 2002 reg cab 1/2 ton 4x4 GM with the 5.3L has only one gear option, and thats 4.10. That makes your math work with 2 revolutions times 2. That gives you a tow rating of 8,800#. Not to shabby for that old of a truck.

We now need pictures.

Chris

Last edited:
   / $5000 Truck I bought. #4  
You know, now that I posted it seems odd. Many GM's of the early to mid 2000's had a 3.42 gear that was pathetic. The tow rating was around 6,500#. They also had a 3.73 gear that was much better but I do not remember many 4.10 gears. Maybe there was and since that is the only gear my book list on a reg cab 4x4. They may have just put them in reg cab 4x4's which to be honest cant say if I have ever dealt with one. Most of my customers have extended cab and crew cab trucks.

If so that will be a good truck for what you want. I had a 01 F-150 4x4 with 4.10 gears and it was a towing beast. Did not matter what you had behind it I always averaged 14mpg.

Chris

/ $5000 Truck I bought.
Its is code GT4, which is a 3.73. It also says "(DUP WITH 5 X 1)" , which I don't know what that means. Thats pretty good ratio, it could be worse.

The guy I bought it from said it was a posi, but it doesn't have code G80, and when I did a little burn out, it only spun one tire. I don't think the guy lied to me, but he probably doesn't have a clue one way or the other. So far I found a slight leak in the windshield, and thats it.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days.

Thanks for the responses and links.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #6  
Well you are going to replace all fluids, right? Just count teeth on ring and pinon and you will know the ratio:thumbsup:

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #7  
the only time a Z 71 is a locker is if it is in 4 low. Limited slip in 4 high or 2 high.
My 03 has 3.73 ratio. The 4.10's really make for a much more capable truck.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #8  
Good deal. Does this mean an avatar change??

And, might as well throw in some pics of the challenger....:cool:

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #9  
Forget the pics of the truck, I want pics of the Challenger! :thumbsup:

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #10  
the only time a Z 71 is a locker is if it is in 4 low. Limited slip in 4 high or 2 high.
My 03 has 3.73 ratio. The 4.10's really make for a much more capable truck.

This is wrong. If the truck has a G80 - and Dodge Dude's doesn't. It will lock when it senses and 200 RPM difference in wheel speed and you are going less than 20 MPH. I've owned 5 different vehicles with the G80 and haven't had a problem with any of them. Some places you will hear people bad mouth them and call them Grenade 80s, but I think these people could tear up anything. Use them right and don't abuse them and they will last a good long time.