$5000 Truck I bought.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #11  
Its is code GT4, which is a 3.73. It also says "(DUP WITH 5 X 1)" , which I don't know what that means. Thats pretty good ratio, it could be worse.

The guy I bought it from said it was a posi, but it doesn't have code G80, and when I did a little burn out, it only spun one tire. I don't think the guy lied to me, but he probably doesn't have a clue one way or the other. So far I found a slight leak in the windshield, and thats it.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days.

Thanks for the responses and links.
The 3.73 gear seem right. When my book listed 4.10 as the only gear it just did not seem right as I posted above. I have seen many of these trucks and installed hitches, brake controllers, ect and have never seen a 4.10 gear ratio on a GM 1/2 ton.

Glad its the 3.73 and not that 3.42 gear. It would not be a good tow rig with that. GM loves to play the MPG game so they can brag with that 3.42 gear but does not do them any justice when it comes to lugging a load.

Chris

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #12  
This is wrong. If the truck has a G80 - and Dodge Dude's doesn't. It will lock when it senses and 200 RPM difference in wheel speed and you are going less than 20 MPH. I've owned 5 different vehicles with the G80 and haven't had a problem with any of them. Some places you will hear people bad mouth them and call them Grenade 80s, but I think these people could tear up anything. Use them right and don't abuse them and they will last a good long time.

You are right. Its totally automatic unlike my Detroit Locker I have front and rear that I must engage with a switches. They are electric lockers.

The G80 is crude compared to other lockers on the market but works pretty good. Biggest draw back is it only works upto 20 mph of rear wheel spin, not trucks speed, and it makes a clunking noise when it goes in and out. I would still take one any day of the week over a truck without a locker. There is just no comparison.

Chris

/ $5000 Truck I bought.
How easy is it to hook up a brake controller? I'm almost positive it has the factory tow package. Does is just need a controller and a pig tail to hook up under the dash? I'm probably going to order a brake controller for it and might as well get everything I need at that time.

I will post picks of both the Challenger and the GMC soon. I work full time and have been running around lately taking care of insurance and such.

Change my Avatar from Dodge Man? Thats a good one!:laughing:

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #15  
My experience with factory towing packages is that they include the receiver, the wiring harness and sometimes also include a trans cooler, thicker radiator, and sometimes even a power steering cooler. YMMV. The brake controller was never included, of course.

There is nothing worse to drive than something geared wrong. Maybe "right" for mpg at a steady 70 mph on flat ground, but the real world doesn't include that scenario very often. 3.5x 3.7x 4.1x

Had a truck, briefly, with a mpg marketing fiasco rear end of 3.05
Useless.

Dodge, you're gonna enjoy that truck and it sounds like you got a good deal on it. Congrats.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #16  
Go to your GM Parts counter. Give them the VIN and they can print a build sheet showing all the codes and description. then you'll know exactly what you have.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #17  
How easy is it to hook up a brake controller? I'm almost positive it has the factory tow package. Does is just need a controller and a pig tail to hook up under the dash? I'm probably going to order a brake controller for it and might as well get everything I need at that time.

!:laughing:

Buy a Tekonsha Prodigy and the correct harness for a 2002 GM, and it will plug in on both ends. If you have the factory tow package there should be a 7 wire plug and receiver hitch on the back of the truck.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #18  
How easy is it to hook up a brake controller? :

2 screws and a wire plug. You do have to level the box, but it's very simple with the tow package.

At some point around 2003 (I think) GM changed the wireout and the old harness used in the new truck would cause the brakes to come on with the headlights. Talk about a surprise when entering a tunnel!

/ $5000 Truck I bought.
I ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy last night and a harness to hook it up, something like a $150 to the front door. It should be an easy hook up.

/ $5000 Truck I bought. #20  
Go to the link I posted earlier and they have all the info you will need under GM Trucks. Just click the right year. Some trucks need a relay and fuse installed to make the controller work and to get the charge function working on the 7 pin plug.

Chris